Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Unicorns, both symbolic and Historicly real?
poeticraven
post Oct 1 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

I've started this thread because when I was still in school doing a research paper in a library I came across a book that spoke of historical unicorns. Not just mythological.
Apparently the way it was done was to take a newborn calf, and a newborn horse.
Apparently the horns grow from two bumps, which are removed from the calf, both split in half (the horn bumps) you take one side from each bump (so the new fused one is made from 1/2 of both the other ones) and as this made two, one was inplanted in the head of the baby horse, and the other back into the calf, and this would cuase the horn to grow straight as both sides fused together during growth. It was noted that no matter what animal was used to turn into a unicorn (it was not always a horse) the unicorn always took a position of leadership and had a natural arrogance.
I'm starting this thread becuase since that time I've found no other records of it, and a search on google gives me a million and one unicorn fantasy pictures, but nothing on the actual creation of unicorns, Has anyone else heard of this? And if so, does anyone have any source on this, as I'm still searching. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mf_bookread.gif)
†Christopher Raven†
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mf_popeanim.gif)
†Popy the unofficial mascot†

--------------------
"Now I want, spirits to enforce and art to enchant, and my ending is dispair, unless I be relieved by prayer...And as you from your crimes would pardoned be, let your indulgence set me free" W.S. The Tempest - Pospero

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Villainy
post Nov 23 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #2

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

interesting...

Read the forum rules. One liner replies are not very welcome here. Next time it will be deleted. - Mediocracy, Moderator

This post has been edited by mediocracy: Nov 24 2005, 01:21 AM

+Quote Post

CelticCraftress
post Mar 11 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #3

Initiate
Group Icon

It's been done, well, in modern times I mean. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ever heard of Oberon Zell-Ravenheart? He is the headmaster of the Grey School of Wizardry . At one point in his life, he made unicorns. He took his "unicorns" about, and taught them to perform and everything. He doesen't have them anymore though apparently, I heard he got a lot of bad press because folks thougt it was cruel or something.

Here is a page all about it, including Oberon's unicorn Lancelot. Hope this helps!

http://www.lair2000.net/Unicorn_Dreams/Uni...s_man_made.html

I have been told how he did it by an instructor at his school, but i'll hang onto it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:http://www.lair2000.net/Unicorn_Dreams/Unicorns_Man_Made/lancelot3.jpg)

+Quote Post

Satarel
post Mar 15 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #4

Mayaparisatya
Group Icon

PoeticRaven, I'm wondering if it might be possible for you to direct us to your source on the topic as well?

--------------------
IPB Image

The value of an individual is not numerically assignable. Given the individual's infinite capacity to affect change (for better or for worse), it follows that their value is just as infinite. Logically then, not only are all individuals of equal value, but all possible combinations and groupings of individuals are of equal value, and finally, no matter an individual's past actions, their capacity to affect positive change is not diminished.

The value of the individual is sacrosanct, but actions must be directed in an effort to affect positive change.

+Quote Post

moonlit
post Mar 16 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

Yes, it does sound very interesting. I would like to know where you found your indormation as well. I have studied a lot about "mythlogical" creatures but I never got to do a study on the unicorn.

--------------------
"I'm not afraid of the dark,
I am afraid of what is IN the dark."

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse