Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Spambot And Closed Registration
+ Kinjo -
post Aug 14 2013, 01:23 PM
Post #1

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

We have been plagued with spambot problems for quite a long time now and default (older)IPB /recaptcha has been failing to stop spambots from registering with the forum.
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2008/03/c...ve-captcha.html

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4484477...m-from-spammers

http://keycaptchaured.wordpress.com/

This forces us to manually approve and screen all
registration and it's a very boring work to do!

Upgrading the forum is out of question for now since forum upgrades cost hundreds of dollars and forum's theme also needs re-skinning which don't come cheap.

I'm currently hiring a developer in India who currently trying to find a low cost solution to this. Let's hope anything good come out from this one.

If you have any ideas/comments to combat our spambot problem please post them here!

--------------------
IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Aug 17 2013, 09:39 AM
Post #2

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(+ Kinjo - @ Aug 14 2013, 03:23 PM) *

We have been plagued with spambot problems for quite a long time now and default (older)IPB /recaptcha has been failing to stop spambots from registering with the forum.
This forces us to manually approve and screen all registration and it's a very boring work to do!
Upgrading the forum is out of question for now since forum upgrades cost hundreds of dollars and forum's theme also needs re-skinning which don't come cheap.
I'm currently hiring a developer in India who currently trying to find a low cost solution to this. Let's hope anything good come out from this one.
If you have any ideas/comments to combat our spambot problem please post them here!

Make it a multi-step vetting.

Have completed profiles as a requirement before they can post and first three post need mod approval before they are seen generally. Perhaps even one of those things that calculates word word frequency to auto-junk any post made that has some word more than 25% of the post's content. That will keep the spam out of sight and less work needs to go into vetting, because it catches them when they spam rather than trying to remove them before.

Other less probable ideas:

Have them upload a picture with a Sacred Magick Forums.

Aside from that hold an initiation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Fill out a profile, send an email telling why you want to be a member. Send an email back asking some question on the occult that a Google search will turn up. That sounds like too much effort for a spammer to do in order to get just one account.

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Oct 15 2013, 08:29 AM
Post #3

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

So I keep getting stopped by a CAPTCHA before I get to the main page. Is this a new anti-spam thing or is it just my UNIs network?

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

+ Kinjo -
post Oct 15 2013, 12:08 PM
Post #4

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ Oct 15 2013, 09:29 PM) *
So I keep getting stopped by a CAPTCHA before I get to the main page. Is this a new anti-spam thing or is it just my UNIs network?
It's part of anti-spam thing but it got you instead of just spambots so I'm lowering it a bit. So far no spam-bots got through which is good.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse