Reply to this topicStart new topic
 First Steps In Cm, Where do I begin?
Fio Praeter Humanus
post Mar 21 2005, 10:07 AM
Post #1

Theurgist
Group Icon

Greetings!

I think there are some misconceptions of people who watch magicians. We do not do banishings and invocations, adorations and attunements every day just to build up our strength so we can summon a super cool spirit to give us money and women. Everything we do, we do for a reason. We are constantly searching and grasping for somthing higher. Our work is not a means to a end. Our work, our journey is the reason.

So to get to the point, yes if you need something mundane done then a spirit can do it for you, but any magician worth his salt will know five other ways to do it also without evocation. So the question is why evoke? When you work with a spirit, regardless if it is a demon, planetary, archangel, or whatever, you are working with a part of yourself and a part of the universe. You are unbalancing a part of yourself in a controlled situation to create change in yourself and the universe. Contact, work with, strengthen, purify, and balance these are the goals.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Except Adonai build the house, their labor is but lost that build it".
Unless you have a strong foundation your house will fall.

Here is my advice.
Stop everything you are doing. Begin the work as a true beginner. I know advanced rituals such as the hexagram rituals and the Opening by Watchtower seem like fun but if you have to ask then you are not ready yet. At this stage you will gain nothing from them.

Begin to do the LBRP morning and night and nothing else. If you would like you could also do the MP but this is all. Write a ritual journal after every ritual you do. Write down what you did, what it felt like when you did it, and what it felt like after the fact.

I promise you once you cut everything else out you will learn more than you thought possible. To discover the effects you must isolate it from everything and then study it from every angle. Study the LBRP and it's symbolism. Try different variations of visualizations and movement. Find out what works best for you. While you are doing this the effects of the ritual will become a part of you. It will open up your astral senses and build up your aura to develop you circle. The MP will also begin to imprint the God names upon your aura which will begin to align you with the divine energies. The effects will be profound.

The work of a beginner is a minimum of six months but no longer than a year. While you do this ritual work you should also begin to study the material. Memorize the hebrew letters. Become familar with the tree of life. Learn the signs of the zodiac. Learn how to meditate.

Most of all when in doubt keep it simple.

Middle Pillar

LBRP

--------------------

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Radiant Star
post Mar 30 2005, 07:09 AM
Post #2

Theoricus
Group Icon

Adding to Nero's post above, might I suggest adding some form of physical development that would aid magickal wellbeing like Chi Kung or some form of Yoga or martial art as well as the obvious things like eating for good health - basically balancing physical, mental, magickal and social aspects of life.

+Quote Post

A_Smoking_Fox
post Mar 30 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ac42.gif) good posting Nero

That truly is what one should do the first 6 months.

Working out is always a good idea, magical study or not. But traditionally it starts after the first 6 months when one attunes himself with the element earth.

--------------------
In LVX,
Frater A.V.I.A.F.

+Quote Post

Fio Praeter Humanus
post Mar 30 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #4

Theurgist
Group Icon

Recommended Reading List for Ceremonial Magick

I. Old School
1. Three Books of Occult Philosophy by Henry Cornelius Agrippa
2. Dogme et Ritual de la Haute Magie by Eliphis Levi
(the new editions are named Transcendental Magic)

These two are the source material for most of the Golden Dawn and western mystery tradition.

II. Basic Hermetics
1. The Kybalion by Three Initiates (not old but new, but a great intro)
2. The Hermetica by Hermes Trismegistus (several translations, take your pick)
3. Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus (several translations)
4. Initiation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon (for a different view)

III. Qablalah
1. Mystical Qabalah by Dion Fortune
2. A Garden of Pomegranates by Israel Regardie
3. The Chicken Qabalah by Lon Milo Duquette (I have never read this one but everyone recommends it so I added it to the list)
4. A decent Tarot deck (your choice)

IV. Reference
1. Godwin's Cabalistic Encyclopedia by David Godwin
2. 777 And Other Qabalistic Writings of Aleister Crowley
3. The Golden Dawn by Israel Regardie
4. The Essential Golden Dawn by Chic Cicero, Sandra Tabatha Cicero (only if you are interested in Golden Dawn)

V. Theory and Damn Fine Reads
1. Magick in Theory and Practice by Aleister Crowley
2. Book 4 by Aleister Crowley
3. The Tree of Life by Israel Regardie
4. The Middle Pillar by Israel Regardie

Now this list is no where near completed, I consider these the corner stone of a magicians library. The beginnings but a grand one, really with only half this list you would be a great magician.

Now beginners on a budget, listen up! PDF files are your best friends, find as many as you can till you can afford the real thing. Many of the books I have listed can be found on sacred magick main site as well as many many more.

For the pure beginner I would recommend:
1. Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig
This will explain the basics and give you a good foot hold to spread your wings, next purchase
2. The Golden Dawn by Israel Regardie
This will have all the rituals to keep you busy for years as well as material to memorize.
For basics of Qabalah grab:

3. The Mystical Qabalah and a tarot deck. Expand as needed.

These three alone should keep you busy for some time.

My last bit of advice, once you think you are starting to understand and know a bit, read Magick in Theory and Practice. Then reread it once a year and watch it grow as you do.

--------------------

+Quote Post

A_Smoking_Fox
post Mar 30 2005, 04:39 PM
Post #5

Zelator
Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/respect.gif) excellent, I will remember this for my next purchase.

--------------------
In LVX,
Frater A.V.I.A.F.

+Quote Post

Radiant Star
post Mar 31 2005, 01:29 AM
Post #6

Theoricus
Group Icon

Good list Nero

Relieved to see that I have most of these (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

fiat_lux_777
post Apr 1 2005, 05:47 AM
Post #7

Neophyte
Group Icon

Dear Nero,

Great post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

One can often discern the magicians who took advice similar to that which Fr. NERO has provided - they're not insane and deluded.

Life is not a race, magick is not a race. Cramming bucketloads of magickal trivia and ritual into your brain avails you not one bit if you haven't taken the time to *use* it and *understand* it.

Spiritual enlightenment (I dislike this term!) can be gained from the LBRP just as easily as it can be gained from any "more advanced" ritual. In fact, as Crowley stated, those who view this ritual as merely a device to banish and invoke spirits are not worthy to possess it...

93 93/93

Todd

+Quote Post

Radiant Star
post Apr 1 2005, 06:14 AM
Post #8

Theoricus
Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ac42.gif)

I was a Christian all of my life and since starting the LBRP last spring I have been more connected with myself and the unseen world more than I ever was in all of those years before.

It is not that I didn't make progress or even have experiences with entities, but it was all so hit and miss. Not helped by the fact that I knew there was more to all of that church ritual and that there were things we were not told. I knew it, but I didn't know what it was or how to access it. The first time I ever did a a ritual, I was communicated with.

Truthfully, I had been spoken to before in prayer and at Mass, but because I had little trust in the leaders and people I met in church, I was not able to accept it; there is something very empowering about finding ones own true path and after doing the LBRP one afternoon last summer, I went to rest on my bed to ponder on the power of the ritual, I had an entity of a high order come to me and confirm the rightfulness of my choice and affirm the validity and strength of the LBRP.

Sincerely

Radiant Star

+Quote Post

fiat_lux_777
post Apr 1 2005, 06:44 AM
Post #9

Neophyte
Group Icon

At Frater N.E.R.O.'s request, I am adding a Thelemic Recommended Reading list, which I will update as time allows -

THELEMIC READING LIST

The difficult with constructing a "Recommended Reading" list for aspiring Thelemites
is two-fold -

1. Much of Thelemic magick is based, wholly or partly, on the Golden Dawn corpus
or the works of Masters in the fields of Yoga and Eastern disciplines, and as such, is
not "directly" Thelemic.

2. The paucity of written works on the Thelemic system (with the obvious exception of Crowley's own works).

Having said that, the following are books that I have found especially useful over the years.

"The Magick of Thelema" by Lon Milo DuQuette
(note: The new editions are called The Magick of Aleister Crowley)
The basic rituals of "traditional" Thelema explained in a clear, concise and humourous manner.

"Liber ABA esp. Magick in Theory and Practice" by Aleister Crowley

In my opinion, Crowley's magickal Magnum Opus. The Blue Brick is highly recommended to any student of Thelema.

"Liber AL vel Legis" by Crowley/Aiwass (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The book that started it all! Crowley's spiritual call-to-arms, dictated by the praeter-human minister of Hoor-Pa-Kraat. A concise document which forms the basis for Religious and/or Philosophical Thelema.

"Class A Holy Books" by Aleister Crowley

The works of Crowley are divided into various Classes. Class A material refers to those documents of special spiritual significance for Thelema. The official description of Class A material is "Class "A" consists of books of which may be changed not so much as the style of a letter: that is, they represent the utterance of an Adept entirely beyond the criticism of even the Visible Head of the Organisation."

Class A material is layered with meaning and allegory, often containing obscure
Qabalistic codes and references to magickal formulae and operations. Re-reading
often opens up further insight.

"Liber OZ" - by Aleister Crowley.

The philosophical document for those aiming to "live" Thelema. A Bill of Rights for the New Aeon!

"Liber 777" - by Aleister Crowley

Crowley's Qabalistic compilation and tabulation of correspondences is a must-have for magicians, whether Thelemites or not. Simply the best, in my opinion.

"New Aeon Magick" - by Gerald DelCampo

A beginner's introduction to Thelema and Thelemic magick. Some may find it overly-simplified, but a great primer with straightforward and decent information.

"The Law is For All" by Aleister Crowley

The "offical" commentary on the Book of the Law. Find out about those obscure references, understand perplexing passages - then make up your own mind.

"The Mystical & Magickal System of the A.A." by James Eschelman

A wonderful and detailed book on the A.A. Eschelman, an initiate of the A.A. through the Estai lineage, provides an insightful look at the history, personnages and rites of the A.A. Hard to obtain nowadays, but well worth picking up if you see it on Abebooks or EBay.

93 93/93

Todd

This post has been edited by Nero: Apr 1 2005, 08:09 AM

+Quote Post

Nightwind
post Apr 5 2005, 09:50 AM
Post #10

Initiate
Group Icon

Excellent advice from one and all. I would like to also add that it isn't the amount of information that you have but also how you use it. I have been studying CM on and off for quite a few years now and still have yet to perform a ritual. This is not due to my not feeling ready but instead knowing that I still had more studying to do. Life can get very complicated at times if you let it and it will most definetly keep you from doing what you really want to do. As it has already been said before, Balance is the key. You must have things in order such as your life and work and most important your spiritual health before you ever attempt this stuff. Take it from one who knows. It won't help you to go into this stuff being half prepared. You must feel comfortable with your everyday life and spiritual health before you attempt such an undertaking.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

bym
post Apr 7 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #11

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Good advice. But whilst reading try the foundational basics! Learn how to breath!
Can you differentiate between your senses? Know thyself! Else how are you to know others? Become a discerning individual! A well built house has a well built foundation! (I'm running out of cliches) Important to learn to relax when necessary.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/5.gif)

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

Ashnook
post Apr 7 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #12

simoniconist
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nero @ Mar 21 2005, 10:07 AM)
[font=Times][SIZE=5]
Greetings!

I think there are some misconceptions of people who watch magicians. We do not do banishings and invocations, adorations and attunements every day just to build up our strength so we can summon a super cool spirit to give us money and women.

Ahh crap bro Ive been going at it wrong then lol (just kidding) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/diablo.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Frater S.E.M.
post Dec 12 2005, 09:29 AM
Post #13

Initiate
Group Icon

I would like to add to the Thelemic reading list (to be read alongside TMO AC) a little book called "ABRAHADABRA: Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thelemic Magick" by Rodney Orpheus as it is a great guide to A.C.'s works (especially if you're under 30 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ).

FSEM

+Quote Post

redhand
post Oct 17 2006, 04:07 PM
Post #14

Neophyte
Group Icon

Great post, Excellent advice Nero. Besides adding exercise as Radiant Star suggest, I would also add Liber Resh vel Helios, or similar version of the adoration to your daily practice. Redhand

This post has been edited by redhand: Oct 17 2006, 04:09 PM

--------------------
"DARE TO BE WISE"
The Enigma League

+Quote Post

J*S
post Feb 18 2007, 05:35 AM
Post #15

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(bym @ Apr 7 2005, 10:37 PM) *
Good advice. But whilst reading try the foundational basics! Learn how to breath!

Yes! Definitely something that comes easier to some than others. I'm a pretty highly-strung temperament and the noticeable difference to the effectiveness of any work when I take time out before hand to get relaxed and control my breathing properly is astounding. It is something that is so basic one can forget, yet as a good friend of mine said when bollocking me after I demonstrated something to a class, "Very good, but your breathing was all over the place. Learn how to breathe properly and you're half-way there already".

--------------------
"If thou thyself hast not a sure foundation, whereon wilt thou stand to direct the forces of Nature?" Liber Librae, AC

+Quote Post

Sister_Fearless
post May 6 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #16

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(J*S @ Feb 18 2007, 06:35 AM) *

Yes! Definitely something that comes easier to some than others. I'm a pretty highly-strung temperament and the noticeable difference to the effectiveness of any work when I take time out before hand to get relaxed and control my breathing properly is astounding. It is something that is so basic one can forget, yet as a good friend of mine said when bollocking me after I demonstrated something to a class, "Very good, but your breathing was all over the place. Learn how to breathe properly and you're half-way there already".

Id like to ad a story on breath
My friend and teacher is always reminding me to breath and I recently discovered a powerful way to use my breath and my love. I have a three year old son and like all little boys he is at a full out run every where he goes and typically I'm holding my breath waiting for him to fall and hurt himself, and in the back of my mind I'm already pulling out the band aids.

One day he is running and I'm consciously trying to make my self relax and just breath. As I'm exhaling I'm focusing on his feet and sending my protection and love in the form of my exhale. It was a truly amazing discovery for me, and in that moment he turned and grinned at me. It has been a truly valuable lesson for me as a mother and I pass it on to all young moms I meet. Since I started this he hasn't fallen or hurt himself.

+Quote Post

grim789
post Nov 13 2009, 12:28 AM
Post #17

Zelator
Group Icon

Awsome posting thank you!!!!

--------------------
When the devil cries in agony who then comes to his aide.

+Quote Post

post Mar 31 2011, 07:23 AM
Post #18

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nero @ Mar 30 2005, 04:35 PM) *

Recommended Reading List for Ceremonial Magick

I. Old School
1. Three Books of Occult Philosophy by Henry Cornelius Agrippa
2. Dogme et Ritual de la Haute Magie by Eliphis Levi
(the new editions are named Transcendental Magic)

These two are the source material for most of the Golden Dawn and western mystery tradition.

II. Basic Hermetics
1. The Kybalion by Three Initiates (not old but new, but a great intro)
2. The Hermetica by Hermes Trismegistus (several translations, take your pick)
3. Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus (several translations)
4. Initiation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon (for a different view)

III. Qablalah
1. Mystical Qabalah by Dion Fortune
2. A Garden of Pomegranates by Israel Regardie
3. The Chicken Qabalah by Lon Milo Duquette (I have never read this one but everyone recommends it so I added it to the list)
4. A decent Tarot deck (your choice)

IV. Reference
1. Godwin's Cabalistic Encyclopedia by David Godwin
2. 777 And Other Qabalistic Writings of Aleister Crowley
3. The Golden Dawn by Israel Regardie
4. The Essential Golden Dawn by Chic Cicero, Sandra Tabatha Cicero (only if you are interested in Golden Dawn)

V. Theory and Damn Fine Reads
1. Magick in Theory and Practice by Aleister Crowley
2. Book 4 by Aleister Crowley
3. The Tree of Life by Israel Regardie
4. The Middle Pillar by Israel Regardie

Now this list is no where near completed, I consider these the corner stone of a magicians library. The beginnings but a grand one, really with only half this list you would be a great magician.

Now beginners on a budget, listen up! PDF files are your best friends, find as many as you can till you can afford the real thing. Many of the books I have listed can be found on sacred magick main site as well as many many more.

For the pure beginner I would recommend:
1. Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig
This will explain the basics and give you a good foot hold to spread your wings, next purchase
2. The Golden Dawn by Israel Regardie
This will have all the rituals to keep you busy for years as well as material to memorize.
For basics of Qabalah grab:

3. The Mystical Qabalah and a tarot deck. Expand as needed.

These three alone should keep you busy for some time.

My last bit of advice, once you think you are starting to understand and know a bit, read Magick in Theory and Practice. Then reread it once a year and watch it grow as you do.

This is really a very good reading list.

I'm a little bit suprised and fascinated by myself now.
I never looked in a Magick Forum or something else before, never took advice, never knew other people doing this.

I really started Magick on my own, all alone.. working through a lot of books and sites.. and I can say,
what you describe - what you should do the first 6 months - 1 year, is exactly what I am doing.

After some weeks of wild fantasies I got my mind right and I told myself
"You need 3 things.. watch yourself, be patient, be conscious what you are doing"

so I started only to meditate.. with Franz Bardons Initiation, just to watch myself.. 5 minutes, 6, 7, 8, 9 , 10 etc.
this was a great moment and it helped me a lot

after that I also started to do the LBRP after my daily meditations, which were also getting better day by day..

I record all my experiences, all my meditations and LBRPs in my magick book.
I have 80% of the books you recommended, I have respect for everyone of those books and I'm not in a hurry.

I realised that it needs time, and I realised that time is just an illusion of my mind/of the "reality"
So I have enough time, no stress... There is nothing I can win or lose..The All Is Mind.

So thanks again for reminding me.
Now Im even more confident that Im doing the right thing.

regards
Mike

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse