Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Chi Gung: Chinese Healing, Energy And Natural Magick By L.v. Carnie
circlewalker
post May 8 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Initiate
Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.llewellyn.com/book/chigun01.jpg)

Chi Gung: Chinese Healing, Energy and Natural Magick by L.V. Carnie

I've really been touched by this book and wanted to share a review with you. Lily of the Valley Carnie has written an informative and enlightening book on the study and practice of Chi Gung ( also known as Qigong or Chi Kung) that brings a fresh perspective to this 4000 year old art. Also, I really dig the cover art... pine trees silhouetted at twilight against a sunset with the sky turning a delicious purple/orange with just a sliver of the moon showing... it's awesome.

The first part of her book covers the fundamental principles and concepts needed for a training program in Chi Gung and includes topics like: Nei Dan vs Wei Dan training; Meridians and Cavities; the principles of Yin and Yang; the philosophy of the Five Elements; the Regulation on Mind, Body and Breath; and the Fire, Wind, and Water Paths of Chi Circulation. In addition, she presents a series of Chi familiarization exercises that provide a foundation for the exploration to follow.

In a departure from other Chi Gung books I've read, her book is arranged in a very “right-brained” fashion. You can open the book to virtually any page and find a lesson, exercise or discussion on Chi dealing with a specific topic such as focusing your awareness to enhance your sense of smell, or increasing your ability to feel the differences of colors, or becoming aware of your body movements and internal tensions while fly-fishing.

I love the way she encourages Chi Gung training in a wide variety of situations and this is what I feel sets it apart from other Chi Gung books. Since Chi is indeed a universal energy then one should be able to sense and apply it everywhere and Ms Carnie shows how you can bring the awareness of Chi to all manner of activities even reading a book or flying a kite. I like the way she encourages you to learn to apply Chi Gung to whatever activity you are engaged in, making the practice of Chi Gung an expression of you and your Art, whatever that may be.

The other thing I really like is the way she encourages the spirit of play when practicing Chi Gung. Since the flow of Chi through the body is hindered by tension and stress then being too serious in your training is a guaranteed way of limiting your potential. Ms Carnie recommends a fun approach to training that allows an awareness of the nuances and subtleties of Chi training to develop naturally.

She teaches in a conversational way that is both informational and fun and I highly recommend it.

This post has been edited by circlewalker: May 8 2007, 07:45 PM

--------------------
Reality is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Goibniu
post May 9 2007, 01:29 AM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

That's good because it often should be fun. Chinese don't say that they are practicing Qigong, they say that we "war qigong'" or 'play qigong.' There is a strong element of play to it.

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

circlewalker
post May 9 2007, 10:15 AM
Post #3

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(Goibniu @ May 9 2007, 12:29 AM) *
That's good because it often should be fun. Chinese don't say that they are practicing Qigong, they say that we "war qigong'" or 'play qigong.' There is a strong element of play to it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ac42.gif) Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard that before.

--------------------
Reality is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine

+Quote Post

nox
post May 16 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Goibniu @ May 9 2007, 02:29 AM) *
"war qigong'" /.../' There is a strong element of play to it.

war chigung = play

????

I do not understand. Please explain.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post May 16 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #5

Practicus
Group Icon

Chinese cultural philosophy. 'War' is strategy, a game of power between opponents - taken seriously, but also understood to be a matter of inteligence, wit, wisdom, etc. A game is war, a war is a war, a contest of strength is a war. Hence, war and play are, to chinese mentality, synonymous. Not because war isn't taken seriously, but because play is, and victory in either case is present - either over oneself, or others.

On first examination it would seem like it runs counter to 'eastern' philosophy, but we're not talking about buddhism, but rather the etymological philosophy connecting chinese language to chinese cultural psychology.

peace

This post has been edited by Vagrant Dreamer: May 16 2007, 05:33 PM

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post May 18 2007, 01:04 AM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

The word "war'' is a Chinese word, not the English word war meaning fighting. "War" literally means 'play' , just as the French word "appel" means 'to call', and doesn't refer to a reddish fruit. To paraphrase Jethro Bowdeen on the Beverly Hillbillies, "Those Chinese, they have a different word for everything!"

--------------------

+Quote Post

slgnesin
post Nov 5 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #7

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

QUOTE(Goibniu @ May 9 2007, 02:29 AM) *

hi,im a chinese guy,actually most chinese do say we are practicing qigong rather than "play"
and in my view,chinese qigong is partially similar to western meditation... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

kaboom13
post Nov 16 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #8

Unregistered

The word "war'' is a Chinese word, not the English word war meaning fighting. "War" literally means 'play' , just as the French word "appel" means 'to call', and doesn't refer to a reddish fruit. To paraphrase Jethro Bowdeen on the Beverly Hillbillies, "Those Chinese, they have a different word for everything!"

Err. As a student studying Chinese, er. Do you have a source about this war statement?

Chinese cultural philosophy. 'War' is strategy, a game of power between opponents - taken seriously, but also understood to be a matter of inteligence, wit, wisdom, etc. A game is war, a war is a war, a contest of strength is a war. Hence, war and play are, to chinese mentality, synonymous. Not because war isn't taken seriously, but because play is, and victory in either case is present - either over oneself, or others.

On first examination it would seem like it runs counter to 'eastern' philosophy, but we're not talking about buddhism, but rather the etymological philosophy connecting chinese language to chinese cultural psychology.

Er I don't quite follow, the way you articulated this sounds like a bit too much of an over-generalization. Can you elaborate? Being raised in a household with basically classical pre-mao values, you're citing things i'd have thought i'd have read. Kinda exited to be honest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Nov 16 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #9

Zelator
Group Icon

Look up the word "war" in a pingyin/english dictionary and you will find that it means play in English.

--------------------

+Quote Post

kaboom13
post Nov 16 2010, 09:17 PM
Post #10

Unregistered

Ummm which phrase? There are like 4 different terms off the top of my head for this.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse