Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Trouble Sleeping
Whisperling
post Mar 1 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

Lately I have had trouble sleeping. I can relax, but from there all my mind seems to want to do is try and astral travel or focus it's energy on things like surrounding my body with light or rejuvinating it's chakra points. (I don't know much on the subject, just basic information so I don't actually WANT to try any of the stuff my mind is doing at the moment!) I'm sure if I WANTED to be doing that at that time it would be a good thing, however it leaves me energised which is what I really don't need at 1am!

So I am asking for help. Spells, recipes, herbs, teas (at the moment I'm on regular ol' tea, honey and milk!), sachets, dream pillow mixtures, talismans... ANYTHING really.

I am limited as to not burning inscence/candles though as my room mate has "asthma" and sometimes I share a bed with my partner so I don't want to do anything to disturb their sleep either.

Any suggestions?

(PS: I thought there would be a topic on sleep spells/help already but the search seemed to find zilch! Feel free to direct me to a thread if one already exists.)

I've been thinking maybe lavender oil or a lavender sachet next to my bed or under my pillow.

--------------------
IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

bym
post Mar 2 2010, 12:36 AM
Post #2

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Greetings!
There are myriads of ways/methods for inducing either sleep or relaxation. It appears as if your mind has accelerated into hyperdrive and you need to bring it back abit.
For a really good relaxing/sleep inducing herbal tea that won't interfere with most medications and will not leave you 'hung over' the next day can be made from a number
of good ingredients...depending upon your accesibility to them (aka a healthfood store or an herbalist...)
1. Passionflower herb
2. Valerian root
3. Chamomile flowers
4. Skullcap herb
5. Blue Cohosh root
6. Asafoetida(calms by smell, it's stinky stuff but it works!)
7.lobelia (though this may react with some)
8. Neroli oil (smelling only or in a base oil and massaged into skin)
9. Jasmine oil (same as Neroli)
10. Hibiscus flowers
The list could continue....but take the first three and brew up some strong tea and down the hatch!
Note: Valerian root is fairly pungent and smelly. It is extremely effective though! Chamomile is time honored,
and passionflower has a hint of harmala alkaloids, just enough to help you get dreamy.
If you're having a headache or slight cramps, etc. try Meadowsweet or Willowbark, they have the precursors
of aspirin (in this case Salicylic acid) in them. When I was a kid, two baby aspirin used to knock me out!
You could try putting a stiff shot of whiskey/bourbon in your tea with a dash of nutmeg...
I've favored some good hot chocolate laced with a little rum and valerian root. The chocolate masks the valerian root enough
to make it less onerous! LOL! Valerian root is the herbalists Valium. No, you will not form a dependency and yes you can
snarf down some booze!
oh yeah! I almost forgot...good, old fashioned Hops will do the trick as well!

I could go on....a pillow stuffed with mugwort and lavender, etc. ad infinitum!
Another 'trick' is to just do some heavy physical labor before you hit the hay...(wink)
Sweet Dreams!

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

Whisperling
post Mar 2 2010, 01:07 AM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(bym @ Mar 2 2010, 04:36 PM) *

Greetings!
There are myriads of ways/methods for inducing either sleep or relaxation. It appears as if your mind has accelerated into hyperdrive and you need to bring it back abit.
For a really good relaxing/sleep inducing herbal tea that won't interfere with most medications and will not leave you 'hung over' the next day can be made from a number
of good ingredients...depending upon your accesibility to them (aka a healthfood store or an herbalist...)
1. Passionflower herb
2. Valerian root
3. Chamomile flowers
4. Skullcap herb
5. Blue Cohosh root
6. Asafoetida(calms by smell, it's stinky stuff but it works!)
7.lobelia (though this may react with some)
8. Neroli oil (smelling only or in a base oil and massaged into skin)
9. Jasmine oil (same as Neroli)
10. Hibiscus flowers
The list could continue....but take the first three and brew up some strong tea and down the hatch!
Note: Valerian root is fairly pungent and smelly. It is extremely effective though! Chamomile is time honored,
and passionflower has a hint of harmala alkaloids, just enough to help you get dreamy.
If you're having a headache or slight cramps, etc. try Meadowsweet or Willowbark, they have the precursors
of aspirin (in this case Salicylic acid) in them. When I was a kid, two baby aspirin used to knock me out!
You could try putting a stiff shot of whiskey/bourbon in your tea with a dash of nutmeg...
I've favored some good hot chocolate laced with a little rum and valerian root. The chocolate masks the valerian root enough
to make it less onerous! LOL! Valerian root is the herbalists Valium. No, you will not form a dependency and yes you can
snarf down some booze!
oh yeah! I almost forgot...good, old fashioned Hops will do the trick as well!

I could go on....a pillow stuffed with mugwort and lavender, etc. ad infinitum!
Another 'trick' is to just do some heavy physical labor before you hit the hay...(wink)
Sweet Dreams!

Woah! Thanks for all the ideas! I have some camomile teabags (yay! consumerism!) already in my cupboard, I might grab the other two ingredients(if I can find them!) and maybe give the tea a whirl. Haha I think that drinking won't really work for me as I'm lightweight, I'll just end up getting tipsy (yes, off of one shot!) Also, thanks for reminding me about mugwort! It totally slipped my mind!

As for physical excercise, I've been jogging every day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush2.gif)

This post has been edited by Whisperling: Mar 2 2010, 01:08 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

esoterica
post Mar 4 2010, 08:28 AM
Post #4

left 30 aug 2010
Group Icon

btdt - sometimes its like being plugged into a light socket, ain't it?!?

pot or valerian brings dream-filled sleep, but melatonin (that awesome bovine penial gland secretion) brings deep and dreamless restful sleep via the same process as your own penial gland's melatonin, with the same irritation as being awoken from sleep when the dose wears off

bright lights then deep dark will bring on penial gland secretion of your own melatonin which brings sleepiness - it may be simplest to just sit in bright light (not tv or computer in a dark room) for a bit before sleep then make sure the room is as dark as possible

check out the mount of transfiguration in the bible and think about sleep deprivation and melatonin secretion and bleeding from the eyes, all as a method of occult growth

caffeine is the nemesis of your melatonin, as are all the -ein's as they are stimulants, which is why they say to stay away from such if you are having trouble sleeping

just don't overdo whatever you do as it will lose effectiveness each time

follow your knows, as your subconscious 'knows' what its doing

This post has been edited by esoterica: Mar 4 2010, 08:31 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Whisperling
post Mar 4 2010, 08:36 AM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(esoterica @ Mar 5 2010, 12:28 AM) *

btdt - sometimes its like being plugged into a light socket, ain't it?!?

pot or valerian brings dream-filled sleep, but melatonin (that awesome bovine penial gland secretion) brings deep and dreamless restful sleep via the same process as your own penial gland's melatonin, with the same irritation as being awoken from sleep when the dose wears off

bright lights then deep dark will bring on penial gland secretion of your own melatonin which brings sleepiness - it may be simplest to just sit in bright light (not tv or computer in a dark room) for a bit before sleep then make sure the room is as dark as possible

check out the mount of transfiguration in the bible and think about sleep deprivation and melatonin secretion and bleeding from the eyes, all as a method of occult growth

caffeine is the nemesis of your melatonin, as are all the -ein's as they are stimulants, which is why they say to stay away from such if you are having trouble sleeping

just don't overdo whatever you do as it will lose effectiveness each time

follow your knows, as your subconscious 'knows' what its doing

I don't think I want to rely on pot for sleepiness because I'm a law abiding citizen (mostly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bigwink.gif) )

I've been trying to avoid caffeine by switching to teas but my body seems to continue on it's ridiculous cycle of deciding it doesn't want sleep!

My body just isn't getting sleepy... I swear, my subconcious is like a grumpy toddler that doesn't want to go to sleep ever! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tickedoff.gif)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

bym
post Mar 4 2010, 09:22 AM
Post #6

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Greetings!
What kind of teas are you using? Some teas have higher caffeine counts than coffee! Also beware of teas that have ephedra in them...like the plague (in your case!) Also, NO 'Matte's!
Now...for some none chemical factors. As creative beings we can and are sometimes 'ridden' by our Muses. Sleep is almost impossible when a creative flow starts! (Please note: Not everyone falls within this 'picture', so spare me the protestations and finger-pointing) Sometimes it is best to ride out the wave! As I've recently mentioned to another member here on Forum, me and a few of my close friends, have noticed a very sharp increase in lucid-dreaming and astral activity lately. This is NOT the normal 'coming-of-spring' flush that will be occuring very soon but something else...You may be plugged in to this 'flow'! and it is manifesting as a heightened brain activity! You may wish to meditate on this to see if you will be 'presented' with some insight. I don't know you or your energy pattern but most things work (generally) along similar lines. I know that isn't particularily helpful but that's all I have at the moment! sorry.

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

SororZSD23
post Mar 4 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #7

Neophyte
Group Icon

Try the recommended teas that can have a sedative effect. Alcohol or cannibis can help you fall a sleep but it *may* cause disrupted sleep (you'll wake up later a lot and may not feel so great) because of chemical processes that occur as the night goes on.

Do not perform heavy exercise with the intention of exhausting yourself; it often has the opposite effect. Certain forms of meditation can also make you more alert than sleepy.

Breathing practices such as taking a few deep full breaths and also inhaling through the left nostril (only) and exhaling through the right a few times also has a very calming effect that helps you get to sleep.

After years of restless sleep and peculiar dream and thought processions at night, I found that a 250 mg dose of magnesium (magnesium supplements generally come in in 250-mg pills) right before going to bed will help you sleep through the night and have much less intense REM sleep, lucid dreams, etc. When you stop taking the supplement, you may slowly revert back to dreaming more again. This has been may experience at least.

--------------------
Leaving aside those principles of magic that play on the superstitious and that, whatever they be, are unworthy of the general public, we will direct our thoughts only to those things that contribute to wisdom and that can satisfy better minds . . . -from De Magia by Giordano Bruno (born 1548; burned at the stake February 16, 1600).
My Webpage

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse