Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 How To Make A Potion With Herb Powders?
JHunt609
post Apr 28 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

I recently aquired 2 ounces (each) of St. John's Wort, Passionflower, Skullcap, and Valerian, in powder form.

I assume that it's safe to just pour in a couple grams or so, but how would one specifically brew a potion with herb powder, as opposed to dried herbs?
Like, step by step.

Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/horse.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

esoterica
post Apr 30 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #2

left 30 aug 2010
Group Icon

[quietly wanders off to examine her bluebells]

dammit - ok - its all about body weight and dosage and normal variation and how much herb is in dried herbs and how much herb is in the powder, which is why i don't give advice in these matters

nothing trying to be an amateur pharmacologist! - no training and interaction research and oh nothing like handling potentially dangerous chemicals to build up an unknown drug cocktail for personal ingestion!

do your own in-depth research and remember that everbody is different and every body is different and if you overdose or overdo it or have an interaction it was not because it told you so, it was because i told you so - its not my responsibility, and not my responsibility! - let those who did so, do so!

[going back to my bluebells]

This post has been edited by esoterica: May 1 2010, 08:36 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

JHunt609
post May 2 2010, 01:25 AM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(esoterica @ Apr 30 2010, 07:55 PM) *

[quietly wanders off to examine her bluebells]
dammit - ok - its all about body weight and dosage and normal variation and how much herb is in dried herbs and how much herb is in the powder, which is why i don't give advice in these matters
nothing trying to be an amateur pharmacologist! - no training and interaction research and oh nothing like handling potentially dangerous chemicals to build up an unknown drug cocktail for personal ingestion!
do your own in-depth research and remember that everbody is different and every body is different and if you overdose or overdo it or have an interaction it was not because it told you so, it was because i told you so - its not my responsibility, and not my responsibility! - let those who did so, do so!

[going back to my bluebells]

With all due respect, I've read through this four times and can't make anything intelligible out of it.

+Quote Post

esoterica
post May 2 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #4

left 30 aug 2010
Group Icon

With all due respect, I've read through this four times and can't make anything intelligible out of it.

lolololololol

nevermind, how bout just a 'told you so' to someone and i'll leave it at that

edit: double dammit! - ok, i'll say this: don't overdose yourself because you don't know how much effectiveness is in the powdered herb versus the dried leaf that some recipe you found somewhere called for - if it were me, which it isn't but what the hell -in for a penny in for a pound as they say - i'd work with a tiny smidgen of each herb individually over a good long time to determine my physical reaction to each one, then begin combining them to check for interactions, then craft my potion based on that work - no recipes, no measures, no chance of a screwup that could end you up hospitalized or dead - herbs are drugs not spices, and if you screw it up, its not like you ruined a cake or pie, you ruined you, and there may not be a cure - be just be very sure of what you eat before you poison yourself or worse - a liver is a terrible thing to waste

This post has been edited by esoterica: May 2 2010, 08:20 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

JHunt609
post May 3 2010, 01:57 PM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(esoterica @ May 2 2010, 10:18 PM) *

lolololololol

nevermind, how bout just a 'told you so' to someone and i'll leave it at that

edit: double dammit! - ok, i'll say this: don't overdose yourself because you don't know how much effectiveness is in the powdered herb versus the dried leaf that some recipe you found somewhere called for - if it were me, which it isn't but what the hell -in for a penny in for a pound as they say - i'd work with a tiny smidgen of each herb individually over a good long time to determine my physical reaction to each one, then begin combining them to check for interactions, then craft my potion based on that work - no recipes, no measures, no chance of a screwup that could end you up hospitalized or dead - herbs are drugs not spices, and if you screw it up, its not like you ruined a cake or pie, you ruined you, and there may not be a cure - be just be very sure of what you eat before you poison yourself or worse - a liver is a terrible thing to waste

Much better, thanks!

My main concern was whether or not it was safe to ingest them directly (with liquid, obviously).

So your suggestion is to test a tiny, tiny, tiny bit at a time until I find the sweet spot, and then write my own recipes accordingly?
Sounds logical. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/book.gif)

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse