Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Once Great Book Series Ends, Wheel of Time draws to a close
Bb3
post Feb 6 2013, 04:05 AM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

I remember first reading the Eye of the World and for me it still is the greatest book in the series; the meeting at the eye, with Aginor calling down curses upon Rand, was perhaps the greatest moment in fantasy literature yet written. It was a series that basically changed not only the way that authors wrote fantasy but also the way readers read fantasy. RJ as any fan would know him was terrific in the use using descriptive, sometimes captivating wordings in his writings. I will also say that RJ payed homage to the esoteric, if nothing else his story offered to any reader one simple technique, the flame and the void. Something I know that any seeker of knowledge should be able to acknowledge as a road worthy of travel.

Unfortunately RJ passed by improbable happenstance before finishing a truly remarkable tale. With what notes were left it was passed along to Brandon Sanderson who did an admirable job of completing a task that very, very few could have hoped to even half-properly resolve. The ending wasn't amazing, but it was an ending and I know for sure, is appreciated.

I for one was very glad to enjoy his works and my personal favorite of the series was the second book which I thought was the most complete and gripping with the introduction of some of the great legendary villains and also a fantastic ending.

This post has been edited by Bb3: Feb 6 2013, 04:06 AM

--------------------
Mad skillz

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Feb 6 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #2

Practicus
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bb3 @ Feb 6 2013, 05:05 AM) *

I remember first reading the Eye of the World and for me it still is the greatest book in the series; the meeting at the eye, with Aginor calling down curses upon Rand, was perhaps the greatest moment in fantasy literature yet written. It was a series that basically changed not only the way that authors wrote fantasy but also the way readers read fantasy. RJ as any fan would know him was terrific in the use using descriptive, sometimes captivating wordings in his writings. I will also say that RJ payed homage to the esoteric, if nothing else his story offered to any reader one simple technique, the flame and the void. Something I know that any seeker of knowledge should be able to acknowledge as a road worthy of travel.

Unfortunately RJ passed by improbable happenstance before finishing a truly remarkable tale. With what notes were left it was passed along to Brandon Sanderson who did an admirable job of completing a task that very, very few could have hoped to even half-properly resolve. The ending wasn't amazing, but it was an ending and I know for sure, is appreciated.

I for one was very glad to enjoy his works and my personal favorite of the series was the second book which I thought was the most complete and gripping with the introduction of some of the great legendary villains and also a fantastic ending.

I vote that we take up a collection of some sort to acquire the necessary materia to resurrect Robert Jordan so that he can continue his good work...

Seriously, though, I finished the last book just a few days ago and was just heartbroken for it all to be over, even though I did like the theme of the ending, despite it being not quite what I expected. I had hoped for a longer epilogue sort of re-envisioning Avienda's vision from Rhuidean, having changed the conditions from the past, but... *sigh*

I would like to see a sequel series, something like 'Children of the Dragon' to follow up but... at the same time without Robert Jordan's own influence on the work it's doubtful any such work could do it justice.

Funny that one could grieve the passing not just of a person but of the legacy they left behind.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Bb3
post Feb 22 2013, 05:05 AM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Feb 6 2013, 11:50 PM) *

I vote that we take up a collection of some sort to acquire the necessary materia to resurrect Robert Jordan so that he can continue his good work...

Seriously, though, I finished the last book just a few days ago and was just heartbroken for it all to be over, even though I did like the theme of the ending, despite it being not quite what I expected. I had hoped for a longer epilogue sort of re-envisioning Avienda's vision from Rhuidean, having changed the conditions from the past, but... *sigh*

I would like to see a sequel series, something like 'Children of the Dragon' to follow up but... at the same time without Robert Jordan's own influence on the work it's doubtful any such work could do it justice.

Funny that one could grieve the passing not just of a person but of the legacy they left behind.

peace

From what I know is that there will be some after novels one of which deals with Mat waking up in a ditch in Seanchean and another dealing with Perrin somehow coming to grips with becoming a king. RJ did plan on doing a Mat trilogy I think but honestly Mat was the one character that RJ could write correctly. I submit the theory (false as it may be) that Mat was actually Lews Therin, it's pretty )(&##ing funny that way.

Really we can't hope for more from Sanderson. RJ, was epic, amazing, what he gave us was only what he thought could be passed on in words, what he really wanted has gone, has been passed, I guess, what he had was once great, even though I wish it was still great. But the story ends, the wheel weaving as it wills, and I'll say that the ending wasn't horrible, though there were some real clunkers in the items of Fain and Nynaeve and Moraine. Honestly, I was glad to read the ending, it was never real for me but it was a nice closure.

PS also there will be an anthology forthcoming of many fantasy authors one of which will include a Demandred backstory.

This post has been edited by Bb3: Feb 22 2013, 05:24 AM

--------------------
Mad skillz

+Quote Post

Blutengel
post Sep 29 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #4

Initiate
Group Icon

honestly i rather despise the series and i quite reading during the seventh book. during the first book i was like "yeah this is cool" and it just went slowly downhill from there. first of all the author has to seriously hate women or something. yeah, chicks can be stupid, but EVERY woman in that book was straight up retarded, its like they were on super-periods for the entire book. theyre all a bunch of self-righteous arrogant retards. Aside from the ridiculously sexist cast of the women in the book, basically every character was one dimensional. nynaeve is just a dumb bitch with a temper. elayne is arrogant and has a sense of entitlement. mat is always "i just wanna hang out with girls and get away from Rand." Perrin "i dont like fighting but i always have too boohoo" not to mention the constant recapitulation of the one dimensional side. in nearly every seen that perrin is in, it constantly comes back to "everyone thought perrin was slow, but he was just gentle blah blah" Rand "i will not be controlled by aes sedai" and then gets manipulated and fucked around by aes sedai, and not because theyre particularly intelligent or powerful, but because hes a fucking idiot. every seen mat's in the internal monologue is "i need to get away from rand and party " and "oh no is Rand insane yet?" this happens all the time, in EVERY SEEN following one of the main characters!!!! carried along by a whirlwind of constantly absurd decision making that would get anyone killed outside of a book. but wait, it HAD to happen like that to fulfill the prophesy, so apparently people with destinies have to constantly make the worst possible decisions in order to fulfill said destiny... ghhh, im not even going to finish, even thinking about it annoys me. sorry if i sound like an a$%*#!* or something, but reading a series that sucks you in with whats basically a good storyline, and then progressively turns into garbage pisses me off. if anyone wants too read a GOOD series, checkout Malazan Book of the Fallen it is infinitely better

+Quote Post

Bb3
post Nov 4 2014, 04:38 AM
Post #5

Zelator
Group Icon

Well of course there are a few streams criticisms for WOT and they are mainly held by people who venerate George R martin andof course there's also the Erickson Defense but also the one that skewers all three, the Classic Hipster. It's what makes Tad Williams Memory Sorrow Thorn serious one of the most underrated fantasy series ever, though the finale is basically a huge 'easter egg' which sort've detracts.

This post has been edited by Bb3: Nov 4 2014, 04:39 AM

--------------------
Mad skillz

+Quote Post

Coma White
post Mar 31 2015, 05:54 PM
Post #6

Initiate
Group Icon

I love books and even though I've always been interested in a lot of fantasy books for some reason I've never read through any of this writer's books. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check them after finishing the one I'm reading right now.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse