Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Advice Needed On Travel Plans
☞Tomber☜
post Aug 24 2009, 01:21 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

Alright so I am planning on, near spring next year, to quit my job and do this stuff 24/7. Nothing I do now is dedicating my life 100% to
magick and understanding so I will take it to the next level. Now I am deciding where I want to go (I plan on traveling around the world) to
learn specifically different things. From your personal experience is there any special places I should visit? or people I should see? any
good workshops you know of? ect ect. It's a pretty big leap for me so if there is anything you can add that would be appreciated.

thank you

--------------------
QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Jan 30 2013, 02:19 AM) *
Expect nothing, or you will get caught up in the future and not pay attention to the present. Just do the practice diligently, do it because you enjoy it, do it because you believe in it. Don't wait for results, don't wait for it to happen.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

flyingmojo
post Aug 25 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

You should check this show out. I'd love to go on a few trips with this couple! Make sure you watch the episode "The Stargate of Aramu Muru"

http://www.xpeditionstv.com/

--------------------
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
Einstein

+Quote Post

Lord_Vahn
post Aug 25 2009, 06:56 AM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

well i would say that it really depends more on what you really want to learn, I mean I too have really started to take my studies and practice a lot more seriously, I mean I've been studding since the start of high school but i've never had a whole lot of guidance, and as of late just through grow and maturity my studies have really opened up to me, and i too have been planing a sort of pilgrimage as well...
a few of the places i've planed to go is the Shaolin Temple, I'm also a martial artist and as such i'd like to study there for a period of time, I'm not buddhist but I'd like to meditate and study with a buddhist monk at a monastery as well, perhaps the Vatican I'm not christian but I'm sure there is a wealth of knowledege there.

I mean it I feel it really depends on what you want to learn... there aren't any rules start when you want... I mean as long as you're learning I'd say thats the real important thing. If there are any authors of the works you've read that you've really taken in and liked (i.e. for myself, Donald Michael Kraig author of Modern magick) perhaps writing them and scheduling a visit would be benificale...

on an a semi related, unrelated topic, I'm moving back to college and am wondering what i should take with me from my alter over to college I'm not sure where I'll be in my studies, there aren't many close shops out where I'm, I live alone so I cant have anyone send me things, and I'm a ways a way from, home so its not like i can run home every weekend for items that I don't bring... (sorry not to steal you're thunder, or rain on you're parade Tomber, if I need be I'll start a new topic but I figured this way we could the forums somewhat less cluttered...)

This post has been edited by Lord_Vahn: Aug 25 2009, 07:06 AM

--------------------
All who wander are not lost,
On our quest for knowledge we simply take different roads
but together through understanding study and deiligence
we can work toward our unique dreams and goals.
united by a our thirst for knowledege
it is my hope and dream,
that by our combined power
we can build a briliant future
for a greater spiritual world.
wishing you the best on your own spiritual journey
Lord Vahn Bieale De La Exodus.

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Aug 26 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #4

Zelator
Group Icon

Lord Vahn
Unfortunately the Xiao Lin/Shaolin Temple isn't much anymore as far as martial arts. Its more a tourist attraction now. When Mao and company took over China in 1949, they closed all the temples including the Shaolin. When it was allowed to open and the former monks were allowed to return, they were quite elderly and arthritic. What martial arts they teach there now are not primarily the traditional arts. They brought in martial arts teachers from the official Wu Shu academies and began teaching the official style, which is based more on Beijing Opera and acrobatics than a functional style. It is pretty much the same in other parts of China. The old masters had to quit, practice in secret, or flee to Taiwan or HK. Taiwan is a livelier bed of martial arts than is the mainland. I lived in China for 3 years and learned less there than I did in Taiwan in four months.

I think it would be cool to study with one of the better yogis if I were young and unencumbered once more. Also I would probably do a tour of sacred sites. Most countries have sacred sites of one sort or another. Britain, Ireland and Europe have stone circles and dolmens, China and Japan have holy mountains. Ah well, something to dream about if I ever become wealthy.

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

Fr. 0
post Jun 4 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #5

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

I think what has already been said is true it's really about personal goals and preference. I mean there is the Great Wall, Pyramids in Egypt, Mexico and South America. There are deserts in the U.S., there are shaman in Mexico, South America, and Africa. There is Tibet, the Andes. It really is a matter of what are you looking to get out and what traditions are you trying to feed. I mean you might want to go were Crowley lived or see the Egypt and the things there that inspired the G.D. or visit the Shaolin Temples not for the fighting skills but for the ambience. More info helps with suggestions, other than that I hope any of this helps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/00000002.gif)

+Quote Post

Animal Shaman
post Jun 4 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #6

Neophyte
Group Icon

Defiantly find out where you want to go in the direction of magick. It'll help you decide where you want to go and learn first. After that just go with flow and let your powers and interest come naturally.

--------------------
totem guiding me in life right now:
The Frog
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th October 2024 - 08:34 PM