Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Rune Magick, Where to Begin?
Zack
post Mar 15 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

I have decided that i would like to pursue rune magick but i have one problem, i dont know how or where to start, i am checking the local library after the march break and will also be checking the bookstore, but does anyone know anything that will satisfy my curiosity and anxiousness until then.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Djinn Shiva
post Mar 15 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #2

Neophyte
Group Icon

I personally have a book on runes. It's titled "The Book of Runes" by Francis Melville.
Quite an unexpected title, eh?
It's an alright book. Though truth be told, I wish there were more substance to it.

As for satisfying your curiousity and anxiousness, I dunno.
I guess you can use Google for sites on runic magic or something.

--------------------
"I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008

+Quote Post

bym
post Mar 15 2009, 11:29 PM
Post #3

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Greetings!
Join our Library and research there, or, google your questions, or, go to a bookshop and look in their occult section. Blum wrote a book on runes and runic magic...so have a number of other authors. Research, research, research! There are a number of members here that utilize runes with their workings...hopefully someone may be forthcoming! Good luck!

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

esoterica
post Mar 16 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #4

left 30 aug 2010
Group Icon

runes are just markings that mean stuff, usually associated with northern european folk, as the patters are similar to their ancient writing

there are many modern runes (i.e. made up)

playing cards, tarot cards, runes, bones, sticks, all can have meanings assigned to them

to look into the future, think of the thing and time you want to look up the future for, then scatter them, and either the overall pattern, or the meanings of the individual pieces are the future possibilities

to use them magically, think of the thing and what you want to do to it, then make a pattern with the pieces to facilitate or make that happen like you were reading it from a scatter or the individual items

This post has been edited by esoterica: Mar 16 2009, 09:23 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

AncientOne
post Mar 16 2009, 04:37 PM
Post #5

Zelator
Group Icon

Use Armanen Runes.They are by far the most effective magically and spiritually in my experience.I can provide you with pdfs on Armanen Runes courses,if you provide me with your email in pm.Pdfs contain complete courses on using them for magic and spiritual development.

This post has been edited by AncientOne: Mar 16 2009, 04:37 PM

+Quote Post

esoterica
post Mar 17 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #6

left 30 aug 2010
Group Icon

truetype font - http://www.scn.org/anon/dossiers/armanic/runes.htm

thanks

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Acid09
post Apr 9 2009, 05:05 PM
Post #7

Health Hazzard
Group Icon

Runes are simply old Norse/Germanic alphabets. There are actually a bunch of different Runic alphabets. For example Scandanavian Runes used by people from Norway and Sweeden. Gothic Runes were used by early Germans. There are Anglo-Saxon Runes. As well as just anglo or Saxon Runes. There are Danish Runes. Then there is the Elder and Younger Futhark Runes. Which are most popularly used in modern day Runecraft (divination and magick through runes).

Personally I have always prefered to work with the elder futhark Runes:
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/runic.htm (along with a few other variations too)

The only rune not shown on that site is Odin (unknowable). On rune stones it is the one with no marking on it at all.

Runecraft itself can be used in a variety of ways. They can be used for divination through spreads similar to those of Tarot cards. Or one may contemplate an issue that is bothering them in life (something serious, not "Does Susi like me?") then draw a stone from a bag and meditate on its meaning in relation to their question. Apart from divination Runes can be used as part of spell craft. Each Rune corresponds to natural forces and elements and mythical beings. Simply wearing a particular Rune can enchant a person and infuse them with the Rune's power. So for example if you want to have more strength you could wear the Rune Uruz. Or if you wanted to be victorious in battle you could wear Teiwaz. Through more advanced magick you can create seals or write spells using Runes. You can carve Runes into candles for candle magick or paint them on cords for cord magick.

Basically Runecraft is an art that uses Runes as a tool to accomplish virtually any magick feat. Runes are just one of many different esoteric alphabets used in the Occult.

You can also make your own runes. If you live near a lake or river go find yourself some flat, smooth stones and paint or carve the Runes into them. Using something like a leather or wool bag you can place the stones in that bag and you're pretty much set. You have your own Rune stones that you can use for magickal purposes. Or you can to any occult store and most book stores like Boarders or Barns and Noble and buy a set there. With that you'll also most likely get a book that tells you about Runes, some of the history, ways to use them and what the Runes actually symbolize. But if you make your own Runes you can just look up their meaning online. If you get into Runecraft I suggest you make your own because truly effective Rune magick requires that you have a strong personal connection to the stones you are using. By making them yourself, you put a part of yourself into them. However, you also do that if you just use the same set a lot of times.

Personally I have always prefered Runes over the Tarot, though both are useful and its nice to use one or the other as a sort of "second opinion" when using divination.

If you like Runes you might check out I-Ching (pronounced EE-JEEING)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

†§L£ÅŽ£!†
post Mar 15 2010, 07:15 PM
Post #8

Neophyte
Group Icon

I started with a set of Futhark runes that I carved and charged myself, they are pretty clever, especially if you understand how they work.

--------------------
I hear Khephra's mighty droning from afar,
His mighty wings high upon a northern Star,
"How long must I suffer, how must I pent?"
And I recieved an answer; "conquer all, my beloved brother, God-sent."

"Only then ye be free of your enemies,
Grossly, heavy, ruddy, and brute,
Thou must join us in Mighty Work
So quicken thyself and behold the Absolute."

Brushing myself off, I took up a Garment,
Seven-fold in essence,
Celestial in root.

"I have become reborn, oh God the Author.
I have glimpsed Thy Veins, Thy Marrow, Thy Face,
I have performed Thy Miracle,
I have obtained Thy Red Lion, from the muck of Thy Vase!"

+Quote Post

kaboom13
post Mar 15 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #9

Unregistered

If we're discussing the use of runes in general, I think that the best place to start is with the English language. Runes, or at least Nordic (I think?) runes are more or less characters that are charged and empowered. The English language is pretty undervalued in many ways, and though its clearly ambiguous and young compared to others, its akin to a younger tree among the grove: flexible and fresh. I think the best way is to honestly focus upon your own use of written word, and study the flow that lies beneath it. From there, I believe that its inherently possible to go beyond the framework of runes.

+Quote Post

Dancing Coyote
post Mar 16 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #10

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(kaboom13 @ Mar 15 2010, 08:22 PM) *

If we're discussing the use of runes in general, I think that the best place to start is with the English language. Runes, or at least Nordic (I think?) runes are more or less characters that are charged and empowered. The English language is pretty undervalued in many ways, and though its clearly ambiguous and young compared to others, its akin to a younger tree among the grove: flexible and fresh. I think the best way is to honestly focus upon your own use of written word, and study the flow that lies beneath it. From there, I believe that its inherently possible to go beyond the framework of runes.

You should be kicked in the head.

--------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced form of magick will appear indistinguishable from science"

+Quote Post

kaboom13
post Mar 16 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #11

Unregistered

QUOTE(Dancing Coyote @ Mar 16 2010, 02:52 AM) *

I'm sorry I offended somebody? I stand corrected if I said something incorrect. Enlighten me please?

+Quote Post

Dancing Coyote
post Mar 16 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #12

Zelator
Group Icon

To be quite honest, runes are near and dear to my heart. The runes I work with are the conventional futhark runes handed down to me by my teacher. I was asked to painstakingly copy these runes, all their meanings and usages in my journal, where I then (on my own accord) rewrote them again and again until I felt I fully understood the practical applications of said magic(k)s. These magicks could not be used with the conventional alphabet without preliminary and painstaking research coupled with trial and error

--------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced form of magick will appear indistinguishable from science"

+Quote Post

kaboom13
post Mar 16 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #13

Unregistered

QUOTE(Dancing Coyote @ Mar 16 2010, 04:40 PM) *

To be quite honest, runes are near and dear to my heart. The runes I work with are the conventional futhark runes handed down to me by my teacher. I was asked to painstakingly copy these runes, all their meanings and usages in my journal, where I then (on my own accord) rewrote them again and again until I felt I fully understood the practical applications of said magic(k)s. These magicks could not be used with the conventional alphabet without preliminary and painstaking research coupled with trial and error

I apologize for my tactless entrance~ I didn't mean to offend you

I should have added the part that It's a long, painful trial and error to get anywhere in the field. I stand corrected.

I don't know much about nordic runes, but with my experience with traditional Chinese charecters (I was raised with the language) that certain languages and certain parts of languages have different degrees of potency. But I honestly feel that can apply to the way people see most things. I apologize for insulting your craft.

This post has been edited by kaboom13: Mar 16 2010, 03:20 PM

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Mar 16 2010, 11:17 PM
Post #14

Zelator
Group Icon

If you are interested in runes, then you might want to read Runelore, and Futhark by Edred Thorsson (Dr Steven Flowers), and Leaves of Yggdrasil by Freya Aswynn. They are all good reputable books on rune lore. Thorsson is actually a Professor of Medieval German History I believe and explains things from a more scholarly perspective. Aswynn tends to be more intuitive and some people don't like her because she introduces methods used in Tarot cards to doing runic readings. She isn't a purist but I think that she has some valuable information anyhow. She also has a CD of her doing Galdr that is kinda cool too.

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Mar 17 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #15

Practicus
Group Icon

QUOTE(kaboom13 @ Mar 16 2010, 05:16 PM) *

I apologize for my tactless entrance~ I didn't mean to offend you

I should have added the part that It's a long, painful trial and error to get anywhere in the field. I stand corrected.

I don't know much about nordic runes, but with my experience with traditional Chinese charecters (I was raised with the language) that certain languages and certain parts of languages have different degrees of potency. But I honestly feel that can apply to the way people see most things. I apologize for insulting your craft.

I absolutely agree with you, and with your earlier assessment as well.

We (the mod staff) also do not tolerate thoughtless offensive attacks on other members. If you disagree, then do tell us all why - comments like

Don't get anyone anywhere, and amount to childish stone-throwing. You've been warned, Coyote. I like you, but have some respect for our forum, if not for the other members.

Ahem.

You said originally,

This is enlightened thinking in my opinion. We have a tendency to look at a particular culture, their alphabet, etc., and become facsinated with their 'mystical' appearance, and the mythology that can be (not always legitimately) attached to their letters and numbers. Sometimes it was just a song to teach the alphabet.

But, magic isn't just attached to these some special things because they're interesting, and it's about more than a letter that also means 'ox', and therefore holds a magical meaning. Magic is the application of natural principles of the subtle world - principles which are manifested in the gross material world we can see and touch. Language, all languages, are a kind of natural bridge in a way. We speak, write, record, but what we invest in those letters is entirely non-physical. Words, letters, and numbers have therefore always been a powerful thing in every culture, and this can be equally true of english as well.

Look at how we use words, how some words share similarities to others and create fascinating philosophical connections between concepts that often give insight into both concepts that wouldn't be arrived at otherwise. The study of how words and letters are used in the english language, from a mystical point of view, would be a very telling endeavor, I believe.

This is something I will personally give some serious consideration and meditation.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Mar 18 2010, 01:33 AM
Post #16

Zelator
Group Icon

Vagrant, you're back! I haven't seen you posting for awhile. I hope things are going well for you.

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

Ethereal Sight
post Apr 6 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #17

Light Wielder
Group Icon

This is enlightened thinking in my opinion. We have a tendency to look at a particular culture, their alphabet, etc., and become facsinated with their 'mystical' appearance, and the mythology that can be (not always legitimately) attached to their letters and numbers. Sometimes it was just a song to teach the alphabet.

But, magic isn't just attached to these some special things because they're interesting, and it's about more than a letter that also means 'ox', and therefore holds a magical meaning. Magic is the application of natural principles of the subtle world - principles which are manifested in the gross material world we can see and touch. Language, all languages, are a kind of natural bridge in a way. We speak, write, record, but what we invest in those letters is entirely non-physical. Words, letters, and numbers have therefore always been a powerful thing in every culture, and this can be equally true of english as well.
[/quote]
I am a novice at this type of magick, but I've honestly gotten results with every single alphabet I've learned. I don't think that any one set of runes is more magically useful than another. I've had equal results with Sindarin Tengwar (One of the modes of elvish from Lord of the Rings) and Cirth (Dwarf runes from Lord of the Rings). These are both fictional, but they've been effective. My staff is inscribed with Cirth runes to assist me with elemental and chaos magick, and it's extremely helpful. I use Sindarin Tengwar to cast illusions on people who look at it, for one thing - if I'm unsure about a test, I write something about it appearing correct to the reader on the top and I usually make mistakes that I can see that teachers have missed. I, as kaboom13 said, have had wonderful results with our own alphabet. I am able to, by handwriting things, store energy and emotion and what I'm writing that dispells into the person reading it - every single one of my english teachers has said I have a surplus of pathos, and two have even said that my writing almost brought them to tears. I have a feeling that my skill with these alphabets has less to do with the alphabets themselves than what I associate with them - I learned our alphabet first, so it's more charged with emotions for me than Sindarin, which evokes more of a feeling of a thin veil between me and another world; it brings me towards dreams (illusions, hence my skill with it). I associate Cirth with empowering objects, so that's what I use it for. I'm working on learning new alphabets at the moment, but that's my two cents. You can find the alphabets I've mentioned on Omniglot, my favorite site for leaning alphabets.

--------------------
"Take root in the ground, live in harmony with the wind, plant your seeds in the Winter, and rejoice with the birds in the coming of Spring." - Hayao Miyazaki (Sheeta from the film - Laputa: Castle In The Sky)
All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law. - Voltaire
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
Illusion is the first of all pleasures. - Voltaire

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse