2 Pages< 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Satyrs, heh
monkman418
post Aug 26 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #31

Zelator
Group Icon

This may need to be moved to "fight club." That said, I think it's important to confront the issue here...hell, I'm obligated to...

QUOTE(Vilhjalmr @ Aug 26 2010, 07:52 PM) *

I don't see anything racist on a reversal of a well-known picture related to one Xenomancer posted.

There are plenty of well-known pictures on the Internet that are derogatory towards blacks, gays, women, and the mentally retarded; just because they are well known doesn't make them "okay." In fact, the reasoning process between seeing these kinds of things everywhere and concluding it's okay because "everyone else is doing it" sounds a lot like the standard way this kind of bigotry is perpetuated.

QUOTE(Vilhjalmr @ Aug 26 2010, 07:52 PM) *

Like I said in response to your PM, I'm sorry if it offended you. I suggest you stay to well-regulated corners of the Internet if you get so worked up about this!

That's not an apology, it's brushing the problem off your back, since you're putting the responsibility on etherial sight for calling out bigotry for what it is while minimizing the implications of using the n-word.

In the end, I think the real problem is that you don't see a problem with using the n-word, and seem to find it more important to excuse the behavior as something everybody else does...and as something that no one else should have a problem with when you and others do it (it's their problem).

Seriously vilhjalmr, I don't think you meant it harmfully, but there's a difference between the intent verses the impact of using this kind of language. Nearly always, the reason why it isn't funny is that (even in context) it doesn't do justice to the history behind the word. The word wouldn't have its meaning without the history, and every time you bring it up you bring up that history. I don't think I need to make an argument that the history behind the N-word is sordid to say the least, though it's always a good idea to remember the history of racism in America: http://www.abolishthenword.com/

This post has been edited by monkman418: Aug 26 2010, 09:30 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Aug 26 2010, 09:44 PM
Post #32

Zelator
Group Icon

Maybe you are unfamiliar with the original, which is hardly racist. Neither is this version. Just interested - is it offensive if I were to be a black man and say "what's up nigga" to a friend? If I were less even-tempered, I might be a little put out you're lecturing me about the history of the "n-word." It's people getting all up-tight and scared about a word of changing meaning that gives it its power.

That's not an apology, it's brushing the problem off your back, since you're putting the responsibility on etherial sight for calling out bigotry for what it is while minimizing the implications of using the n-word.

Yes, I'm not sorry I posted it, which is why I specifically worded it the way I did. It's just an image about trolling.

Even if it was intended to be racist, I contend it's still fine to post it; I get offended about a lot of things, but realize others are free to say what they please. But that's a different argument.

In the end, I think the real problem is that you don't see a problem with using the n-word, and seem to find it more important to excuse the behavior as something everybody else does...and as something that no one else should have a problem with when you and others do it (it's their problem).

Yes, it is their problem. I don't see how it couldn't be. Would you stop posting about something if I considered it offensive?

This post has been edited by Vilhjalmr: Aug 26 2010, 09:50 PM

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

Ethereal Sight
post Aug 26 2010, 09:54 PM
Post #33

Light Wielder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vilhjalmr @ Aug 26 2010, 08:52 PM) *

I don't see anything racist on a reversal of a well-known picture related to one Xenomancer posted. Like I said in response to your PM, I'm sorry if it offended you. I suggest you stay to well-regulated corners of the Internet if you get so worked up about this!

Then perhaps you didn't see the word "nigga" on it.. It was pretty glaring, you should get your eyes checked.

"This" is not as much of a small thing as you seem to think. You're trivializing four hundred years of death, toil, misery and abuse that my ancestors had to go through and I, for one, do not find that amusing.

And the fact is, I don't give a flying f%*! if you're black or white; as I said in the PM, if you're black it's actually WORSE because I can't excuse it based on ignorance and not only are you disregarding my ancestors, you're disregarding your own, not to mention the thousands of soldiers who have died and are still dying for the sake of equality.

And yes, if I posted a vicious slur about you for no reason (something I would never do) I would repent of my mistake and apologize until you got annoyed with me for THAT.

You, sir, are a horrible person, through and through, and are worthless and troublesome to the exclusion of all else. Please do us all a favor and kill yourself; I doubt if anyone would miss you.

--------------------
"Take root in the ground, live in harmony with the wind, plant your seeds in the Winter, and rejoice with the birds in the coming of Spring." - Hayao Miyazaki (Sheeta from the film - Laputa: Castle In The Sky)
All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law. - Voltaire
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
Illusion is the first of all pleasures. - Voltaire

+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Aug 26 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #34

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ethereal Sight @ Aug 26 2010, 10:54 PM) *

You, sir, are a horrible person, through and through, and are worthless and troublesome to the exclusion of all else. Please do us all a favor and kill yourself; I doubt if anyone would miss you.

Jesus! Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

Ethereal Sight
post Aug 26 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #35

Light Wielder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vilhjalmr @ Aug 26 2010, 11:57 PM) *

Jesus! Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

That made NO SENSE AT ALL. Clearly the connotations of words are incomprehensible for you, but that was an abomination to the english language. What did that even mean?!?!!

--------------------
"Take root in the ground, live in harmony with the wind, plant your seeds in the Winter, and rejoice with the birds in the coming of Spring." - Hayao Miyazaki (Sheeta from the film - Laputa: Castle In The Sky)
All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Aug 26 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #36

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vilhjalmr @ Aug 26 2010, 10:44 PM) *

It's also interesting you all seem to assume I'm white.

Did we assume you were white? I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Yes, I'm not sorry I posted it, which is why I specifically worded it the way I did. It's just an image about trolling.

Then you know exactly what you were saying then. Good, so much the better...as follows:

Even if it was intended to be racist, I contend it's still fine to post it

Then you have no problem with racism, admit that it's okay to perpetuate racism, and see no reason anyone should stop posting things that are racist regardless of how upsetting it is. I'm incredulous, and sorry.

This post has been edited by monkman418: Aug 26 2010, 10:04 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

+Quote Post

Ethereal Sight
post Aug 26 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #37

Light Wielder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ethereal Sight @ Aug 26 2010, 11:54 PM) *

I apologize for this - it was way over the line. It takes effort to piss me off, but once you do even I can't control myself.

I'm working on it, I promise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/06.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Aug 26 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #38

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ethereal Sight @ Aug 26 2010, 11:07 PM) *

I apologize for this - it was way over the line. It takes effort to piss me off, but once you do even I can't control myself.

I'm working on it, I promise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/06.gif)

Don't worry about it, dude. I get too angry too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(Ethereal Sight @ Aug 26 2010, 10:59 PM) *

That made NO SENSE AT ALL. Clearly the connotations of words are incomprehensible for you, but that was an abomination to the english language. What did that even mean?!?!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol_2.gif) Google it. It's another meme I thought was funny, although maybe I should quit with the memes...

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Aug 26 2010, 10:59 PM) *

Did we assume you were white? I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Assuming I need educating on what the "n-word" means seemed like it to me, and I didn't think anyone would mind if a black dude used the term (me and my friends say it all the time), although you'll note I edited.

Then you have no problem with racism, admit that it's okay to perpetuate racism, and seem no reason anyone should stop posting things that are racist regardless of how upsetting it is. I'm incredulous, and sorry.

I absolutely have a problem with racism. I have more of a problem with someone wishing death upon someone for posting a vaguely - or even not-vaguely - racist image.

I have apparently misjudged the tone of this forum's "e-culture". I felt it would be humorous. I'm sorry I posted something that offended y'all, and I apologize for any inadvertent racism. I took the image down.

Okay, I apparently can't take the image down. I leave it to a mod or administrator to decide.

This post has been edited by Vilhjalmr: Aug 26 2010, 10:10 PM

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

Ethereal Sight
post Aug 26 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #39

Light Wielder
Group Icon

Hooray, no more fighting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/00000002.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/respect.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Aug 26 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #40

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vilhjalmr @ Aug 26 2010, 11:07 PM) *

Assuming I need educating on what the "n-word" means seemed like it to me, and I didn't think anyone would mind if a black dude used the term (me and my friends say it all the time), although you'll note I edited.

The N word is wrong no matter who uses it due to it's history, that's why the NAACP symbolically buried it two years ago:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7070900609.html

The site I originally linked you to was actually created by a black audience for a mixed audience that uses the N-word in popular culture: http://www.abolishthenword.com/homepage.htm

--------------------
MonkMan418

--- Stephen Hawking

+Quote Post

☞Tomber☜
post Aug 26 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #41

Zelator
Group Icon

We are all some form of magicians here. These things should not make us lose our cool. The most irritated I have gotten here was when ordinary people were referred to as cattle. Even though I believe completely that was wrong I don't think these sort of things should effect our moods. Why lose control? Force ourselves to maintain the middle pillar here. I guess I am starting to lecture you guys so I'll stop but this isn't what we're about, any of us. I've seen the intelligent insights all of you have shared here and I hope you see that these words should have no emotional value for us.

This post has been edited by ☞Tomber☜: Aug 26 2010, 10:28 PM

--------------------
QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Jan 30 2013, 02:19 AM) *
Expect nothing, or you will get caught up in the future and not pay attention to the present. Just do the practice diligently, do it because you enjoy it, do it because you believe in it. Don't wait for results, don't wait for it to happen.

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Aug 26 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #42

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ethereal Sight @ Aug 26 2010, 10:59 PM) *

Every time I read this I start laughing and can't stop...MUHAHA

--------------------
MonkMan418

--- Stephen Hawking

+Quote Post

Ethereal Sight
post Aug 26 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #43

Light Wielder
Group Icon

QUOTE(☞Tomber☜ @ Aug 27 2010, 12:23 AM) *

We are all some form of magicians here. These things should not make us lose our cool. The most irritated I have gotten here was when ordinary people were referred to as cattle. Even though I believe completely that was wrong I don't think these sort of things should effect our moods. Why lose control? Force ourselves to maintain the middle pillar here. I guess I am starting to lecture you guys so I'll stop but this isn't what we're about, any of us. I've seen the intelligent insights all of you have shared here and I hope you see that these words should have no emotional value for us.

Yep - we're all made up (we've been PMing this whole time... apologies are exchanged, etc.). I think we all just lost it a little. It shouldn't make us lose control - you're right. At least we haven't cursed each other or anything!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

Lecture us all you want - we were bickering like children (IMG:style_emoticons/default/13.gif) so we need someone to whip us into shape (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Aug 26 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #44

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(☞Tomber☜ @ Aug 26 2010, 11:23 PM) *

Agreed indeed. I haven't lost my cool online in a long time, so this is shameful for me!

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Aug 26 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #45

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ethereal Sight @ Aug 26 2010, 11:35 PM) *
At least we haven't cursed each other or anything!!!

Oh crap! One sec...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/oops.gif)

Ok, I THINK I undid that...but I guess we'll see!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana.gif)

--------------------
MonkMan418

--- Stephen Hawking

+Quote Post

Ethereal Sight
post Aug 26 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #46

Light Wielder
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Aug 27 2010, 12:45 AM) *

Ok, I THINK I undid that...but I guess we'll see!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana.gif)

Um, you MUST be joking...

--------------------

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Aug 26 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #47

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ethereal Sight @ Aug 26 2010, 11:52 PM) *

Um, you MUST be joking...

That's for me to know and for you to find out!!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/Laie_58.gif)

This post has been edited by monkman418: Aug 26 2010, 11:35 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418

--- Stephen Hawking

+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Aug 26 2010, 11:36 PM
Post #48

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Aug 27 2010, 12:34 AM) *

That's for me to know and for you to find out!!!

Translation: "I'm not joking >____>"

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/13.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol_2.gif)

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Aug 26 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #49

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vilhjalmr @ Aug 27 2010, 12:36 AM) *

Translation: "I'm not joking >____>"

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/13.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol_2.gif)

I admit it, we're doomed.

Us three and Tomber are actually the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse incarnated in human bodies, and this conversation was an active ritual of RAGE of DEATH AND DESTRUCTION, though it occurred on an unconscious level. At the climax of rage, I cursed the earth in the names of the four dark princes of evil and thus channeled our ritual energy into the oncoming cataclysm.

We could have days or minutes before the earth opens wide and swallows its children into a den of molten lava before plummeting into the sun, triggering a supernova that undoes a black hole that dissolves the universe and becomes the pit of Satan for the rest of time.

Make the most of these final moments, we could have minutes or days. For now, I'm going to drink a beer...

This post has been edited by monkman418: Aug 26 2010, 11:50 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418

--- Stephen Hawking

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Aug 28 2010, 01:31 AM
Post #50

Zelator
Group Icon

Ok folks I edited out the image containing the dreaded N word. It is offensive, but Vilhjalmr has apologized and seems to have realized his error in judgment. You've made up and shaken hands or hugged or whatever the younger metrosexual crowd does in this situation. I'm inclined to forget about it myself but some other mod may put Vihjalmir or probation. That is up to their judgment. Make sure that any curses are withdrawn and play nice with the other children from now on.
G.

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Aug 30 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #51

Zelator
Group Icon

(IMG:http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2034/1238561028087.jpg)

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
2 Pages< 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse