Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Flight Of Dragons Clip, Explains a little of how I feel now
Xenomancer
post Sep 17 2010, 07:55 AM
Post #1

Rode off into the sunset...
Group Icon
From: AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON

Just for as of this moment. Magic's influence has been waning significantly. In retrospect, I wanted to explore it for it's 'cool' factor. No crime, though, am I right? If a person is not good at golf, but they think it's cool, they learn. If someone is enchanted by martial arts, they learn. Magic? By far, the most difficult for me to learn. I've posted a "Fukitol" post much much earlier, but I guess these feelings have come around again.

This page links to a flash animation from an old animation (1978?) called "Flight of Dragons."

I feel like the guy right there. I'm about to renounce all magic. It really hasn't brought me anything lasting. Everything it brought me was even more temporary than mundane pursuits. I've made psyballs, but I only had that ability for a short while. I've spoken languages by invoking past lives, but that ability went too. Minor future prediction, by a few hours in advance (limited in degrees of association from me by a count of one) also went away. And the weirdest thing of all: I don't feel like I care.

Is it cool? Yes. But I have a feeling that if I ever "picked up the wand" again, that even if I managed some telekinesis, it will end up like this:

Me: *moves a straw in circles in a bottle* Cool, huh?
Observer: But... what does that do for you, exactly?

All in all, yes, I am quite capable of learning magic. But it's difficulty has daunted me time and time again. My life on earth is limited. There are more interesting things out there for me in my tastes, as well as things that may make me happier. For magic to really make any difference to me, I would have to devote to it 24/7... not my idea of cool.

I devote 24/7 to me instead.

--------------------
IPB Image
¡HA HA! ¡ESTOY USANDO EL INTERNET!
-Never learn the Art of Sword before the Art of Dance. - Celtic Proverb
-Even with spiritual power, an unchecked ego will only seek to deify itself. - Frank MacEowen
-One cannot traverse waters without causing waves. - Xenomancer
-I find it interesting that we as scholars of metaphysics have no problem discussing the intricacies of the threads of reality, but when it comes to the things that really matter, we forget them. - Xenomancer
-This world is your home. We have a mix of everything here. If you want better, make better. There's no rule of going elsewhere for the tools. That's what magick is about. - Xenomancer

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Sep 17 2010, 05:34 PM
Post #2

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(Xenomancer @ Sep 17 2010, 09:55 AM) *

I feel like the guy right there. I'm about to renounce all magic. It really hasn't brought me anything lasting. Everything it brought me was even more temporary than mundane pursuits.
All in all, yes, I am quite capable of learning magic. But it's difficulty has daunted me time and time again. My life on earth is limited. There are more interesting things out there for me in my tastes, as well as things that may make me happier. For magic to really make any difference to me, I would have to devote to it 24/7... not my idea of cool.

Yeah magick is like that. That's why I started to work for some kind of enlightenment. The real practical stuff is never impressive and the impressive things aren't practical, and practical or flashy it all takes time.

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

☞Tomber☜
post Sep 17 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

That's too bad I wish it were different. I personally am impressed and humbled by magic constantly. I always underestimate how 'flashy' or 'impressive' it is going to be. But maybe I'm just easy to impress. Still I think it is about keeping at it. Do you follow a consistent routine? Regardie makes the point everyone, no matter how busy, should spend at least 30 minutes a day for spiritual development. Bardon doesn't require much more and both claim huge results for minimal effort. Minimal effort but regular effort. When I can I spend hours and hours with magic, because I love the potential results. But no matter what (and I get worn out sometime too), there are several small rituals I do daily to maintain a healthy consistency. It really is paying off as far as I am concerned, and I think maybe a fix for this could be being moderate instead of all-or-nothing about it. That's just what some authors seem to recommend anyways.

I find myself drawn back to studying/practicing not because magic in itself is thrilling as far as the long hours/days/weeks/months/ ect... of mediating and not seeing consistent results even when consistent practice is given, but because I see it as a catalyst to further my other goals. For me, it is a way to gain a huge edge in problem solving and life issues I will likely encounter if I am to seriously pursue a career in politics... or whatever. As I progress in both (minor but building) ability I see its practical use for everything. Without being passionate about may goals though I likely would waiver in my, initial, passion for magic. If you are by nature extreme, as in either all the way on or off as far as passion or interests, maybe try to be extremely balanced. I personally, as a extreme all-or-nothing sort of guy, have often missed that option.

This post has been edited by ☞Tomber☜: Sep 17 2010, 07:54 PM

--------------------
QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Jan 30 2013, 02:19 AM) *
Expect nothing, or you will get caught up in the future and not pay attention to the present. Just do the practice diligently, do it because you enjoy it, do it because you believe in it. Don't wait for results, don't wait for it to happen.

+Quote Post

Draw
post Sep 19 2010, 03:32 AM
Post #4

Zelator
Group Icon

Give yourself a few years out, i find if you push yourself too hard you loose sight of whats really important, which is your own happiness an the happiness of those around you.

Life is magic, there is no real avoiding it so why focus on the magic that's defined as magic? live your life to it's fullest an you'll probably get more power than you would have otherwise.

The best stuff just happens when it's ready IMO. There is no shame in giving up at what doesn't seem to be worth doing.

Just be confident that if you ever truly need it, you will have it.

Best of luck with whatever transition you choose.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse