Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Opinions From Experienced Enochian Practitioners, An interesting title?
J*S
post Apr 13 2007, 08:10 AM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

Mods, I am posting this here as I can see the topic getting derailed, but please move it if you think it would do better in the book reviews section.

I just saw an ad for this book at the bottom of the page on the Amazon thingy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1598003720?tag=ma...8ZVJXDGWF9237S&

There are currently very few worthwhile titles on Enochian available in the UK, so I am interested to know from some of the experienced Enochian practitioners across the pond (and I know there are a few of you here) whether you rate it. Assuming it is good I may well see if I can persuade my occult shop owning friend to import a few copies and bulk out the Enochian section a bit. It is always very difficult to recommend texts to people in that area, as the clear winner is the Golden Hoard one, which most people don't want to fork out for. The only other option at the moment is Tyson.

Any insights you may have regarding the general content of the book or tthe author's approach to the subject and system would be of value.

Many thanks.

(edit: OMG...I see the Geoffrey James book is still in print there too (another ad). I have never read it and it is rare as hen's teeth in the UK, but I have heard good things about it! It seems that importing the Enochian section may be the way forward!)

--------------------
"If thou thyself hast not a sure foundation, whereon wilt thou stand to direct the forces of Nature?" Liber Librae, AC

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fio Praeter Humanus
post Apr 19 2007, 11:15 AM
Post #2

Theurgist
Group Icon

Moving to the enochian forum.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Neshamah
post Jul 25 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

I used to think it was a waste of time to read others' accounts of their Enochian workings -- but now I'm not so sure. Reading Benjamin Rowe's account of his interractions with the "Angels" was very helpful to me when I was trying to sort through some of my own experiences. But, this was after the fact; you see, I have always gone into my encounters with the "Angels" blind, as it were. This was an attempt to get a "True Representation" of the Energy of the "Angels," without anyone else's interpretations "coloring" my experiences.

But, everyone these days is in such a damn hurry. I read so many posts (on a lot of different forums) of people who have been attempting to skry for 6 months (or 4) and are becoming impatient because they don't see anything yet. They still have trouble remembering all the words to the LBRP, and yet they are impatient for results. To paraphrase Uncle Al, "Don't lust after results." This is one of the worst things that can happen to a person in the beginning stages of a magickal path. They read what happens for Frater W.I.T. and wonder why they aren't getting even close to his experiences.

Perhaps they haven't bothered to read the "fine print" on the back of his book that tells us that, "Frater W.I.T. is an initiate of magical schools inspired by both the Masonic and Rosicrucian traditions. He has spent more than twenty years studying and practicing western occult philosophies and methods of attainment." The TRUTH is, there is no shortcut to enlightenment, no shortcut to being an expert skryer. It takes a LOT of practice and a LOT of dedication (i.e., committment), and ultimately, it takes quite a bit of TIME.

With all that being said, this book is a good read. It is a very good narrative of an experienced magic(k)ian working within the Enochian current. Anyone reading this book will either understand his descriptions completely and find a fresh perspective on their own work, or, they will be somewhat taken aback by Frater W.I.T.'s strange chronicles and will wonder if they will ever be able to encounter anything like them (or they will "chuck it all," and think this is all a work entirely of fiction).

However, the earnest seeker (whether a complete tyro or an accomplished mage) will find much worthwhile and / or helpful in this volume. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a working knowledge of the Western Hermetic Tradition and seeks a deeper understanding of the Enochian system.

For a Peace Profound,

Edit: I forgot to add, Frater W.I.T. is operating from a Thelemic perspective, so keep that in mind should you decide to read this book. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/gleam.gif)

This post has been edited by Neshamah: Jul 25 2008, 03:06 PM

--------------------

Neshamah, F.'.R.'.C.'.

IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post

Psyche
post Jul 25 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #4

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(J*S @ Apr 13 2007, 10:10 AM) *
Mods, I am posting this here as I can see the topic getting derailed, but please move it if you think it would do better in the book reviews section.

I just saw an ad for this book at the bottom of the page on the Amazon thingy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1598003720?tag=ma...8ZVJXDGWF9237S&

I reviewed this book last year for SpiralNature.com. It's a decent book, more of a magickal diary than a practical guide to Enochian magick, but if that's what you're looking for, it's definitely worth reading.

My review is here for those interested:http://www.spiralnature.com/reviews/book/fraterwit.html#ei1

The Geoffrey James book contextualizes the practice and gives a more forgiving interpretation of Kelly's relationship with Dee, but doesn't offer much in th way of guidelines for the beginning practitioner. I'm currently reading DuQuette's latest for review (will appear on Plutonica.net in the next week or so), and that is certainly more geared towards putting the theory into practice.

Each valuable in their own way, they offer different aspects of study and practice to the reader.

--------------------
Plutonica.net, an esoteric blog
SpiralNature.com, an occult resource

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse