Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Grey School Of Wizardry?
Thorn
post Nov 25 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

okay, I have NO idea where to put this thread. I skimmed the front page a few times and then gave up.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the grey school? Originally I thought it was a very annoying riot hall for wannabe harry potter fan types, but I've been looking at the site a bit and it seems like it might have some interesting points. Has anyone had any experience with this school? All thoughts appreciated, thanks:)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Nov 25 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #2

Practicus
Group Icon

It's based on a 'grimoire' by an author who's credentials are suspect, who's philosophy is a bit new agey for my taste personally, and who's book is really fluffy. But, who knows.

Personally, I don't think that there's any good reason to enroll in an online 'magick academy' of any sort. You can find people all over the place on the web to discuss magick with - find someone who's opinion you respect and make friends if you want that personal attention but can't find it in 'real life' as it were. But everything they'll teach you in one of these online academies is going to be basically the same sort of things you can learn on your own reading books.

A real magickal group, and instruction by a true adept, in person, gives the benefit of helping you to have magickal experiences. That can't be done online in the kind of convincing way that will open an initiates mind. All the work you will ever do you'll do on your own though - no one can develop you magickally except yourself.

This place seems fluffy to me, I wouldn't put stock in it personally. They're charging 'tuition' which is, granted, about the cost of a couple of books to study for a year, but to charge money for online courses in something like magick is ridiculous - I seriously doubt they have any kind of exclusive information or technique you can't learn about on your own.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

shamanwizard
post Nov 26 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon
From: all of the new world......land of the incas,aztecs,mayans,and seminole,siux

I believe this school is based on the "the aprentice wizards grimuore" by Oberon Zell-Ravenheart...its a wizard teacher for teenage wizards...but I guess its not a bad place to satart, I actually had this grimuore, and its not bad...it comtains some very interesting stuff, butits very simple stuff

--------------------
"A wizard can turn fear into joy, frustration to fulfillment. A wizard can turn the time-bound into the timeless. A wizard can carry you beyond limitations into the boundless"------Deepack Chopra

+Quote Post

paxx
post Nov 26 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #4

Resident Fool
Group Icon

I have had plenty of experience with the “school” I belonged to it for some time, and used it mainly as a forum as opposed to a school.

Here is the thing. The website is terrible, the interface is terrible. 90% of classes are about writing reports or essays.

Some (very few) of the “teachers/professors” are just trying to sell more books.

All that said, there are many people involved on all levels that I am truly glad I met, and believe it was worth the price of admission.

Oberon is a freak in many ways, but a fun one. I do not think there is any harm in listening to what he has to say, except I don’t believe he can administer his way out of a paper bag.

In the end I do believe it is a decent resource for someone trying to teach their children about Magick (I was looking into it for the children of others). The book is truly worth it, I have not picked up the second one.

However until they come of age and make a truly interactive lesson plan, with video and audio. Adding some production value to their lessons…it is nothing more then a good idea that is poorly implemented with some great people and some not so great people.

This is something I often think I would love to construct…but the initial capital and getting people to dedicate their time to has kept me from pursuing it. Perhaps in a few years.

As for the reason to charge…poor administration, people pay more attention to what they pay for, interaction with multiple teachers. In many ways I found the classes great, in many ways it was truly pitiful. Poor implementation.

Ultimately, it is an issue of philosophy. Getting kids interested, and keeping their attention. Getting adults interested and keeping their attention. Making it affordable, allowing it to be self sufficient, knowing that people will more often follow through on things that cost them, but do not on things that are cheap.

At the moment the Grey School is the best at what it tries to do, but I feel it fails to do it.

I think you can get a better education on certain subjects from people on this forum…but it is an issue of commitment, and doing what you say you will do…they offer an environment where you feel you should be trying to do something and document your results.

Ask any specific questions you have, and I will answer. But know it was about two years ago since I last logged in…but I think I can contact some people who are still involved.

This post has been edited by paxx: Nov 26 2007, 03:30 PM

--------------------
--Paxx

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse