Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Demonolatry, the practice of demon worship; theistic satanism
Kranos
post Jun 22 2007, 03:46 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

In the practice of Demonolotry, demons are generally considered to be what their name means: reaped in knowledge. These "demons" as we call them are just spirits on the darker side of things. Funny/interesting thing is, they tend to a) look very human, b) look kind (most) instead of hostile, and c) do not require you to really do anything. Demonolotry is kinda like sett'n out the cookies for Santa or do'n a daily prayer.

In demonolotry, as in other pantheons, there are demons (gods, goddesses, spirits) for everything. Some of the more well known ones would be from Soloman's Keys, but there are many others from different religions/regions. For example: Asmodeous (lust,love,relationships,anger,fury,jelousy), Belial (lies, stealing, falsehood, cheating, [dukante hierarchy- new begginings]), Flereous (baptism, action, love, solstice), Lucifer [not Satan; 2 diff. demons in demonolotry] (enlightenment, initiations), Mephisto (keeper of the book of death), Delepitore' (demoness of magick), ect. ect. As you can see, although many of the "demons" in demonolotry have the slight christian warpings and denunciations, it also includes positivce aspects. By the way, using Belial as an example, the negative traits (lies, stealing, falsehood) in both other people and in yourselves are controlled by the demon(s) that rule over them. This means that praying to Belial would not be to invite lies and deception into your life (unless, of coarse, that is what you prayed for/want); instead, praying to Belial can/could, if you are respectable in your communions with him, reduce the lies around you/from people around you or allow you to notice the liars around you or, from his stealing/theivery aspect, stop burglary/the stealing of yur possessions/your emotions (confidence) or anything else you can think of in his domain.

Now, most of you, including myself, would probably be a little freaked out about worshipping demons. The more I learned about demonolotry, however, showed me that you aren't truly "worshipping" them as you are thanking and respecting them. Just like how High Magicians give thanks and respect to the archangels they summon, or how Wiccans thank the elementals they call to their circle corners, or how Goetic summoners thank and dismiss the Lesser Demons they work with, so, too, do Demonolotors give thanks and respect to the Demons they call forth with prayer/ritual. In the Dukante Heirarchy, as well as a few other demonic heirarchies, the demons are listed for the element, month, time, ect. that they belong to.

Something very amusing about the Dukante Heirarchy (and demonolotry in itself) is that the demons are not treated as fearsome monsters that you are mak'n under-the-table deals with. They are treated as spiritual being with their own powers, personalities, and emotions. The thing that really broke down my "demons are evil" sympathy was the description of Asmodeus in the Dukante Heirarchy:

"Asmodeus - Demon of Lust: Ayer avage Aloren Asmodeus aken - twin to Amducious. Appears as an attractive and clean cut and articulate man. His eyes seduce all women mortal and otherwise. He will answer calls by Ouija boards if asked. He is very friendly. Be forewarned, he often turns conversation into some aspect of sexuality as it pleases him."
-Complete Book of Demonolatry by S. Connolly, pg.72

Another thing that, I'll just be honest, made me laugh was when it spoke about how Lucifer seems to have an average voice, but always seems "overly excited." I don't know about you, but I personnally find the image of a A.D.D.-esk Lucifer to be hilarious.

Anyways, I'm sure you now have plenty of comments to add after reading this long and probably drawn out post, so I'll let you get to it.

--------------------
“I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.”
“Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people.”
-Aleister Crowley
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

gmcbroom
post Jul 18 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

I am impressed. That was very informative and well put.

+Quote Post

kouya
post Jul 18 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

I can't really say I know anything about what is written here and there... but I can relate my own experiences in a way. Personas would be what is apparent when communicating with any sort of entity, "demons" aren't that much different although I never really bothered to ask completely as to why and how what personas are determined for use, although I feel that its related mostly to some sort of conscious conception (or lack of) in any individual that seeks them out. I shall use my various "interactions" with Lucifer for one... he would either be formless when I myself feel that form means nothing, a child or teenager that spouts nonsence on one of my more "humanly" days and occassionally a facet that channels an inner self.

Belial was just some sort of straightforward individual that freely gave things out as I wished for it, and Asmodeus was somewhat just as plain in his own ways... nothing much althogether.

This post has been edited by kouya: Jul 18 2007, 08:26 PM

+Quote Post

bym
post Jul 20 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #4

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Interesting posts...but I disagree with the majority of Demonaltry as put forth by its relatively modern origin(s). IMHO, of course.
It should be of interesting note that one may consider the element Radium as not being particularily evil but upon exsposure to it we tend to sicken and die. Not all 'spiritual' presences are safe for human beings to be around without special equipment. (Side Note: In the conjuring of 'demons' one doesn't thank the demon...ever, or, at least, whilst using Solomonic/Goetic Evocation form. That would be acknowledging that the 'demon' was on par with the Creator, which is something that the magician identifies with in order to compell the demons subservience. It is not recognized as acceptable practice within the Judeo/Christian format. I know that that paradigm is contrary to Demonaltry.)
I've often alluded to a Newage convenience that is rife these days, that of intimate familiarity with powerful spirits. In my experience, as human, that when I make contact with various spiritual entities is one of awe and wonder. My brush with Lucifer was terrifying and totally awe-inspiring.(Gee-contact with a ghost have terrified poor slobs to death!) If it sounds human, looks human and thinks human, it most likely is human. I think there are alot of people that experience mental facets of themselves/human condition that take the image/role of these beings. LOL! I also know more than a dozen of people that swear that they have had tea with Lucifer! Let me tell you that contact with spiritual beings is a rarity rather than a commonplace occurence! I am old fashioned in my thinking. The face of God(or his Angels) supposedly turned Lots wife into a pillar of salt...what makes you think that exposure to a diety would have little to no impact? We, as humans, anthropomorphise nature and spirit. It makes us feel comfortable. These are but Masks used to facilitate communication. Again, IMHO. This debate won't end, it has been revolving for centuries. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bigwink.gif)

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

Noxifer_616
post Jul 29 2007, 08:18 PM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

Demonalatry and Diabolatry, not my taste, unless of course you consider goetia and goetic qabalah (Qliphoth) demonalatry. Michael Ford touched up a bit on the subject. I'm not a huge fan of his work, but he does present some fairly good points. One of which is "control the demons you invoke, lest insanity befalls the magician".

Of course, i dont believe in literal demons. The daemon as a giver of wisdom is seen as the individual's higher conciusness (Un-Holy Gurardian Angel), all other spirits invoked are created by the magickian himself. The same could be said of godforms i suppose.

It wouldnt completely do justice to label Demonolatry as a type of Theistic Satanism. Theistic Satanists worship Satan as a literal entity (god), the demons are considered his servants by most TSs who were slandered by Judeo-Christian bias. One group that does seem to blend the two is the Ordo Templi Luciferi. As a Luciferian/Setian i cant say i agree with them on much, but at least they dont completely rip off others ideas, even if their name is so derived from OTO. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilB.gif)

This post has been edited by Noxifer_616: Jul 29 2007, 08:19 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
Om Avete Luciferi

+Quote Post

Firephoenix
post Apr 20 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #6

Neophyte
Group Icon

"Demonolotry is kinda like sett'n out the cookies for Santa..."

Well, if you rearrange the letters, it spells Satan. So I guess it's kind of appropriate.

This post has been edited by Firephoenix: Apr 20 2009, 10:26 AM

+Quote Post

Casadeluna
post May 3 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #7

Neophyte
Group Icon

well these labels by which you call out the demons matter not, its rather the enery field, or feelings your concentrating on, much like saying a mantra, or like up above, thanking an archangle or whatever.... to call something a demon, in your mind, is to call out the darker side of this entity, but there is another side.... demons and angles coexist together, darkness light, yin and yang, it is human misconception that demons are "bad" and angels are "good" our minds cannot grasp such power so we label and catagorize, be wary on what your doing, and who your doing it with, for in the end, only one shall reign, and it will not be human insolence, nor human ignorance....it will be divine infinite love...thats my 2cents i guess...

peace

+Quote Post

Ankhhape
post May 3 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #8

Neophyte
Group Icon

Greetings,

Daimon means ‘spirit energy' it is the Greek meaning for the forces that energize all natural processes and they are part of a single cosmic order.

Originally the word was used to mean any spirit energy, whether divine, evil or natural.
In Theurgy it was used to describe one's Higher-Self.
The word was later corrupted into "demon" and often used to indicate only an evil spirit (Demonolatry).

Of Solomonic demonology we have the Lemegeton which contain the notorious 72 evil spirits. The number 72 corresponds to the secret name of God, Shemhamforash, and we can speculate as to whether these demons do not in fact constitute the dark side of the God(s).

Eliphas Levi's translation of the Keys of Solomon from Hebrew describe the Qliphoth as anti-poles to the divine Sephirotic qualities and contained upon the Averse Tree of Death.

--------------------
Kheper-i kheper kheperu kheper-kuie
em kheperu en Khepri kheper em Sep Tepy

+Quote Post

Kath
post Jun 13 2010, 03:30 AM
Post #9

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(bym @ Jul 20 2007, 09:46 PM) *

Interesting posts...but I disagree with the majority of Demonaltry as put forth by its relatively modern origin(s). IMHO, of course.
It should be of interesting note that one may consider the element Radium as not being particularily evil but upon exsposure to it we tend to sicken and die. Not all 'spiritual' presences are safe for human beings to be around without special equipment. (Side Note: In the conjuring of 'demons' one doesn't thank the demon...ever, or, at least, whilst using Solomonic/Goetic Evocation form. That would be acknowledging that the 'demon' was on par with the Creator, which is something that the magician identifies with in order to compell the demons subservience. It is not recognized as acceptable practice within the Judeo/Christian format. I know that that paradigm is contrary to Demonaltry.)
I've often alluded to a Newage convenience that is rife these days, that of intimate familiarity with powerful spirits. In my experience, as human, that when I make contact with various spiritual entities is one of awe and wonder. My brush with Lucifer was terrifying and totally awe-inspiring.(Gee-contact with a ghost have terrified poor slobs to death!) If it sounds human, looks human and thinks human, it most likely is human. I think there are alot of people that experience mental facets of themselves/human condition that take the image/role of these beings. LOL! I also know more than a dozen of people that swear that they have had tea with Lucifer! Let me tell you that contact with spiritual beings is a rarity rather than a commonplace occurence! I am old fashioned in my thinking. The face of God(or his Angels) supposedly turned Lots wife into a pillar of salt...what makes you think that exposure to a diety would have little to no impact? We, as humans, anthropomorphise nature and spirit. It makes us feel comfortable. These are but Masks used to facilitate communication. Again, IMHO. This debate won't end, it has been revolving for centuries. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bigwink.gif)

I'm kinda necro-ing an old thread here, but I found this post pretty interesting (both out of agreement and disagreement (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

I don't think that the "holier than thou" approach of interacting with angels/demons acting though borrowed authority by supposedly being one of God's spoiled brats... is necessarily the only valid approach, or even the preferred one. I realize it is traditional western esoteric cannon, but that isn't (and should not be) the unquestioned last word on anything.

I'm not saying that I disagree with that approach outright. But there are other ways of looking at it. For example, it is normally just 'assumed' that if you use the right symbols and words, you will be granted extended authority via YHWH (or YHVH if you like modern typos). I think that is an intensely naive approach. In my experience, regarding the wielding of another being's authority, you ain't got jack sh** unless you're on fairly intimate terms with the being who's authority you're borrowing, and you have been explicitly told you have said authority. I find that in western esoteric traditions many people tend to view the hebrew god as a sort of equation, "if you plug in the right numbers you get the desired result" and don't particularly bother with interacting with that deity on a more personal or intimate level. And then they turn around and criticize chaotes for just trying to borrow power and not put anything of themselves into the paths they borrow from... oy.

I mean, the people who invented that egregore-deity, actually rather hated gentiles... and I don't think it's overtly programmed to be anyone's personal magical power granting toy either (note that miracles are always implicitly "his will", at least when they work, not joe blow's will).

As a former devout christian, I just find most western esoteric approaches to 'god' as being rather like "dabbling in something that seems kinda cool and ancient", and largely failing to actually engage the potent forces which exist in that paradigm.

Anyway, I am a *former* christian. In my current religious inclination, I actually feel nothing but contempt for the deity of the hebrews. People get suckered all the time, but that paradigmatic virus suckered me for a long time, and I do harbor a grudge. So... obviously I won't be calling on YHWH anytime soon to interact with "demons" (and i use that term loosely). For that matter, I don't even accept the notion of hierarchies in heaven & hell, angels, demons, etc. I threw the baby out because it was rotten and untrue, why would I cling to the bathwater associated with it? I could say the same thing of kabbalah, or even theistic satanism. They are essentially trappings of a western monotheistic belief structure which I do not hold to be true.

Granted, that means that the whole solomonic magical system is basically 'rubbish' in my paradigm. But I do oh so enjoy interacting with nonhuman-nonphysical entities. You could even say I prefer it to interacting with people (not that i'm outwardly antisocial or anything). Let's just say I see eye to eye with most entities' relatively low opinion of my species. So then, if I'd rather flip YHWH the bird than perform a quabbalistic cross, how do I go about interacting with entities?

Well, 'll say that the greatest single tool I have found in summoning, is 'respect'. Respect for the entity, and respect for oneself.
Incidentally the respect for oneself part precludes "worshiping" any being, no matter who they are. So perhaps I'd make a poor demonalatrist.

Bear in mind that I place 'respect' at the very top of the list, even though i actually DO have a very potent form of extended authority which I can invoke. I consider 'invoking external power' to be "plan b" (actually more like plan 'd' or 'e'). I honestly do not feel comfortable running around invoking granted authority frivolously, it's not a toy. It would be vaguely disrespectful to the one granting said authority, whom I love, and will not dishonor. It is my greatest aspiration to be more like her, and one does not do that by using her as a crutch. One does it by becoming stronger in their own right, and emulating her (not borrowing her power). So I regard borrowed authority as an ace up the sleeve, and a last resort.

As for familiarity in dealing with entities or deities... I say "why not?". I mean, I do understand that if you are leveraging control over a spiritual interaction, through an invocation of YHWH's power (whether based on any actual relationship there, or purely as a magic feather in one's cap), that you wouldn't want to psychologically weaken that position. Actually now that I think about it, being congenial would only weaken your position if you're using God as a magic feather in your cap, a psychological mechanism of sorts. If you had actual authority, there would be no call for being 'bossy' about it. But anyway, I understand that it can be a tool to maintain a psychological facade and not weaken that position. But it's so very much *not* the only way to go about things. Personally, I feel like most western esoteric summoning methods are egotistical in the extreme (and coming from me that's really saying something).

If you can't say "please" and "thank you" even to a servant, then you don't have any real power, you're just playing junior megalomaniac. Brandishing power is generally the realm of hidden (or even subconscious) insecurity. Real power tends to be inconspicuous. And speaking as someone who's worked a great deal in the service industry, "please" and "thank you" will get you a lot better service, regardless of how well you may or may not tip.

As for the 'impressiveness' of various beings... yeah, I get what you mean, but it's something you can kinda get accustomed to. I had 'routine' experience with "demons" (by that I simply mean 'unfriendly entities of nonhuman nature') when I was still a small child. I can remember being psychologically tormented by them relentlessly. It was a nightly occurrence for many years. Basically in me they simply saw someone who could perceive them, and they could "get a rise outa me", so they took full advantage. But you grow up, and you grow out of being fearful. Eventually you may come to discard fear entirely (yes really). So then what? Something comes along which is 'scary' or has a threatening demeanor... what do you say to that? For a while I'd mock it, you know "oooh ahhh, so scary!". But that gets old. At a certain point in my magical development, I took advantage of the ability to be threatening *back* at the entity. I guess you could call that a "scarier than thou" approach (instead of "holier"). But even that gets old. Eventually I got to the point where I didn't care about the retarded chip on their shoulder, and I'd just say "hi". Usually that results in an intensification of them trying to be scary. But if you ignore that as well, then typically they'll either run along, or say "hi" back. And then you have dialog. It's like magick, but without all the being ridiculously pretentious. Some of them are actually quite friendly once they understand you to not be a hate & fear filled, superstitious, judgmental, egocentric nutjob (ie- typical human).

So I lean towards more of a jeans & t-shirt " 'sup homey?" way of interacting with entities. And it really pisses off some people who have gone through the trouble of wearing a nice robe, and brought their jeweled anathema, and spent 3 days fasting, and have gone through 3 sticks of chalk doodling on the floor, and have been chanting for an hour in something vaguely similar to latin, etc. ...When I was young, for about 6 months I got to drive my dad's old camaro. It was in really really bad shape, torn up seats, cracked windshield, rust on every single body panel, oxidized paint, torn vinyl roof cover, missing front grill, it just looked like hell. But it did have a *very* heavily souped up 400 small block in it, which my dad had originally rebuilt to put in another car. basically the car looked and sounded like it probably contained a rat's nest, and would fall apart if you stared at it too hard. The only clue that it might be something more than a mobile flower planter, was that the rear tires were very wide. It would lift the front end off the ground if you hit the gas too hard, and it would blow the doors off of pretty much anything at a red light. That really pissed off a lot of people with pretty racing stripes, and exotic spoilers, and tinted windows and big subwoofers, and 20" wheels, and the latest 'en vogue' model of car, etc. But racing stripes and such don't actually make your car go fast ...ya know? They call that sort of car a 'sleeper', I don't know what you'd call that in magick, I just call it being pragmatic. And I don't knock the racing stripes, they're fine, i use them sometimes myself, but it's not really the meat & potatoes of the 'doing' magick. I think people who are exclusively ceremonialist magicians, tend to overlook the fact that a lack of having any 'outwardly obvious' method, does not mean there is a lack of method being used. They also need to, generally, get over their over-reliance on external power, and spend some serious time in the metaphysical gym. but I digress

As for the impressiveness of deities, yeah, that's pretty impressive. I mean, true deities are impressive. Religious-egregore-deities are not really all that impressive. I mean i was impressed as a youngin' but really the energy of religious egregore deities is just not that impressive to me these days. I mean I can channel enough energy to make everyone's hair stand on end too, big deal. But true deities, actual infinite beings, not the byproducts of human imagination & belief... those are impressive indeed. I do find that it is very rare for people to actually interact with these though. You can't really approach such a being through a symbol, phonetic label, or the pretext of some religious dogma. Even if such was based on an actual infinite being, originally, you can't recapture that original contact through the ramblings and writings of followers of a faith. Those are all just human trappings, and seeped in misconception, imagination, and butchered storytelling. After someone initially contacts an actual infinite being, the storytelling and retelling and retelling, and labeling, and idolatry, and semantics, and nonsense begin, and in very short order, you have mankind creating an egregore puppet, loosely based on an actual encounter with an actual infinite being. So yeah, it's not a common encounter in my opinion. A religious experience with a deity-egregore? that's common enough, and it can seem impressive depending on what sorts of spiritual things you are accustomed to. But real infinite-being interaction is rare, and is quite impressive.

But just because something is impressive, does not mean that you have to be impressed. Without fear there is no need to feel overwhelmed, and with respect for oneself, there is no need to feel any urge to worship. The being can be mind-blowingly impressive, but you simply do not *Have* to be impressed. You do have a choice not to be. More of a choice, if you intuitively understand how it's energy is affecting you. They give off a sort of non-deliberate glamour, they're just really 'pretty' on a touchy feely level. And so 'larger than life', and potently powerful... its heady stuff, all that energy has a sort of "moth to the flame" effect on people which makes them just want to fall to their knees and adore, or just be swallowed up by awe. But you really don't have to be that way. You really can just fall back on my favorite spiritual greeting "hi".

I can say in my relationship with a true deity, my NOT allowing myself to be overwhelmed, was actually a prerequisite for entering into a meaningful relationship with her. You don't even have to look outside of human relationships to realize that you can't have a meaningful relationship with someone without self respect and individuality. Drooling mouths and dirty knees don't amount to squat in terms of actually interacting with a deity in a meaningful and constructive way, or in terms of building a real relationship. If I would have reacted with blind adoration & 'loss of self' then she (being omnisciently precognitive) would not have bothered to visit in the first place.

Anyway, if it weren't for the fact that I am pointedly against 'worship', I'd probably be considered a demonolator. They're certainly the sort of being I seem to have the most interaction with. And I have learned how to get along with them quite amicably. I do agree with the original post's idea that you have to accept beings for what they are, not prejudge them and sort them based on expectations.

And yeah, a LOT of the beings people interact with are actually facets of their own psyche. I completely agree. Particularly in some of the more traditional systems... for example, if we assume that the 'need' for being bossy with demons is because we don't want to weaken our psychological frame of reference, then we can assume that this bossiness is sort of a cover-up for the fact that our borrowed authority is a farce, and if it actually works in spite of that, then there's a very good chance that we're basically just bullying a facet of our own psyche which we have managed to manifest through ritual. I would imagine that a sizable majority of deliberate entity interactions performed by occultists, are basically "thoughtform summoning". Which has it's uses, but I like to keep things in a clear perspective and avoid self delusion. It just enhances the potency of one's magick.

anyway, just a lot of rambling thoughts...
Kate

This post has been edited by Kath: Jun 13 2010, 04:06 AM

--------------------
‘Εκατερινη
IPB Image
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Audaces fortuna iuvat

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes