Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Inter-religious connections?
Satarel
post Mar 17 2005, 11:27 AM
Post #1

Mayaparisatya
Group Icon

Something I've noted over the years is certain connections between some of the Middle Eastern and Mediterranean religions.
Firstly, I will state that my arguments are biased (towards Judaism), and secondly, that I will assume some level of god-people interactivity, and possible craftiness on behalf of certain "deities".

The Canaanite (or Phoenician) mythology places El as the creator deity (compared to Elohim in Judaism). However, funnily enough, the Canaanites don't worship El as their head deity - they worship Baal (meaning Lord). According to myth, Baal got booted out of heaven by El, but the people made El give him a home.
Contrast this with Judaistic myth - where Samael got booted out of heaven, but became Prince of Earth, and according to some readings of Genesis, found favour with the people.

Also, in both Babylonian and Canaanite mythology, there is an entity that constitutes "the primordial waters" - generally draconic in form (Tiamat and Yam respectively). Funnily enough, given that in both, they're claimed to be split by the "god who got booted out of heaven" (Marduk and Baal), it's interesting that in Judaistic lore, the primordial waters are split, not by Samael, but by God himself.

In Egyptian mythology, Thoth wrote the Book of Thoth (in some myths, on an emerald), in which was contained all heavenly knowledge, which eventually wound up in the nile.
Contrast this to Hebrew mythology, where Raziel wrote Sepher Raziel (the Book of Raziel) - on an emerald - which was given to Adam, then taken from Adam by other angels and cast into the sea, and eventually returned.

In Sumerian and Babylonian mythology, there are demonesses known as "lilitu", which are the daughters of Lilith. We all know the Hebrew connotations of Lilith. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And one final thing from a more historical note, Moses and his brother Aaron are both best known for (after getting the 10 commandments), plaguing Egypt. Specifically, there was a face-off between Moses and the Pharoah's sorcerers (who according to tradition were named Jannes and Jambres). Both were defeated... but supposedly they followed the Israelites out of Egypt, intent on becoming more powerful than Moses and Aaron.
Simply stated, Jannes and Jambres are the only humans known to have entered heaven itself, under their own volition - and even further, could not be cast out by any of the angels. In the end Metatron somehow tricked them out of their defensive amulets, and then booted them out.

Just a few things I've noted - although I haven't had much of a look into it yet.

--------------------
IPB Image

The value of an individual is not numerically assignable. Given the individual's infinite capacity to affect change (for better or for worse), it follows that their value is just as infinite. Logically then, not only are all individuals of equal value, but all possible combinations and groupings of individuals are of equal value, and finally, no matter an individual's past actions, their capacity to affect positive change is not diminished.

The value of the individual is sacrosanct, but actions must be directed in an effort to affect positive change.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Crom Cruach
post Mar 22 2005, 01:52 AM
Post #2

Neophyte
Group Icon

I think that there is often a connection between many of the world religions, to understand why, one must forget theology and instead look at history. These were the times of great migrations of whole peoples, the canaanites were not a semetic race but rather closer to Eurasian/Aryan peoples, the later philistines came from the same grouping. These peoples (like the celts) came rom the Indoasian regions, and just like the celts were always willing to adopt and assimilate.
If you wish to specifically look at the middle East region (and Judaism), there have been some very interesting studies done by theological historians in Israel. This includes why the mother god was downgraded to the Holy Spirit, human sacrifice and witchcraft within the early jewish faith (this has made them incredibly popular amongst the Orthodoxians). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/witch.gif)

+Quote Post

gavriel
post Sep 5 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

Take a look also into the three branches of Abrahamic religions. Jeudism, Islamic and Christian. These guys are always trying to kill each other off over relegion when in reality, all of their religions sprang from the same source. Its nuts.

+Quote Post

Xenomancer
post Jan 17 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #4

Rode off into the sunset...
Group Icon
From: AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON

In Egyptian mythology, Thoth wrote the Book of Thoth (in some myths, on an emerald), in which was contained all heavenly knowledge, which eventually wound up in the nile.
Contrast this to Hebrew mythology, where Raziel wrote Sepher Raziel (the Book of Raziel) - on an emerald

Not to mention EnKi and the sacred ME arhcives of civilization. Those were supposedly on tablets of Lapis Lazuli

--------------------
IPB Image
¡HA HA! ¡ESTOY USANDO EL INTERNET!
-Never learn the Art of Sword before the Art of Dance. - Celtic Proverb
-Even with spiritual power, an unchecked ego will only seek to deify itself. - Frank MacEowen
-One cannot traverse waters without causing waves. - Xenomancer
-I find it interesting that we as scholars of metaphysics have no problem discussing the intricacies of the threads of reality, but when it comes to the things that really matter, we forget them. - Xenomancer
-This world is your home. We have a mix of everything here. If you want better, make better. There's no rule of going elsewhere for the tools. That's what magick is about. - Xenomancer

+Quote Post

esoterica
post Jan 17 2007, 08:20 PM
Post #5

left 30 aug 2010
Group Icon

QUOTE(WyrdScience @ Jan 17 2007, 09:24 PM) *
Not to mention EnKi and the sacred ME arhcives of civilization. Those were supposedly on tablets of Lapis Lazuli

the ufo aliens have given us a yellow book containing all the civilizations of the universe (sort of a hichhiker's guide) - http://www.jerrypippin.com/UFO_Files_On_De...Files%20Reports

must be an archetype of something, but what?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse