Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Nyx, Goddess of the Night, a short etude on an overlooked Queen
blackstaff
post Jul 23 2005, 08:50 AM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

Nyx, Goddess of the Night.
Nyx is my patron Goddess, but suprisingly, there is nearly nothing on her. Even the ancient Greeks, such as Hesiod, or in the Theogony (spelling?) do not mention much about her.

Nyx is the first-born Goddess. She was the first to form out of endless chaos. Some say that she is the daughter of Phanes, but I personally don't think so. Once formed, she gave birth to the world egg. The egg split into two pieces, the upper became the celestial realm, and the lower became Gaia. (The reason I don't believe Phanes was the father of Nyx is because he was born from the world-egg, and if Nyx birthed the world-egg, how could this be?)

Nyx resides in a dark cloud-covered palace in Tartaros, with her sons and her dark spirits and servants. She also is the mother of Hypnos (God of Sleep) and the tribes of Oneiroi (dreams). She is the Goddess who gives rest to the weary (through sleep), Queen of Illusions, and the One who dispells all fears borne in the darkness/night. She is also the mother of Hecate. She also rules phantoms and shadows. Known as the Ocular One, she sees all and is able to aid in Divination. She is one that even Zeus fears, called a slayer of Gods and men.

To me, I always saw her with black feathery wings. One of her symbols is a dark orb with two black feathery wings on each side. The owl is sacred to her, along with the poppy.

“To Nyx (Night), Fumigation with Torches. Nyx, parent goddess, source of sweet repose from whom at first both Gods and men arose. Hear, blessed Kypris [Aphrodite], decked with starry light, in sleep’s deep silence dwelling ebon night! Dreams (oneiroi) and soft ease attend thy dusky train, pleased with the lengthened gloom and feastful strain, dissolving anxious care, the friend of mirth, with darkling coursers riding round the earth. Goddess of phantoms and of shadowy play, whose drowsy power divides the natural day; by fate’s decree you constant send the light to deepest hell, remote from mortal sight; for dire necessity (ananke), which nought withstands, invests the world with adamantine bands. Be present, Goddess, to thy suppliant’s prayer, desired by all, whom all alike revere, blessed, benevolent, with friendly aid dispel the fears of twilight’s dreadful shade.” –Orphic Hymn 3 to Nyx

This post has been edited by blackstaff: Sep 14 2005, 10:37 PM

--------------------
Ea Heccatus Somni Carebe

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Athena
post Jul 23 2005, 09:26 AM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

Awesome post, thank you! Now this is what we like to see (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I always enjoy learning about new gods, and had not read up on Nyx yet.
I also enjoyed the Orphic hym.
So which books were you actually able to find info on her in?
How do you work with her if you don't mind me asking?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ac42.gif)

Athena

--------------------
Courses, client work, custom Daemon seals, ruby seals, magical supplies and more...
www.enochian.org &

+Quote Post

bym
post Jul 23 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #3

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Yes! Thanks, Blackstaff!
How very timely... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

blackstaff
post Jul 25 2005, 06:38 AM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

Well, I have never found any books specifically on her but if you were looking you could do what I do, which is delve into the ancient greek texts and hymns. Other than that, there is very little on Her. I knew about her for quite some time, but never had worked with her. At the time, Hecate was my patron deity. Durring a meditation once, Hecate came to me where she said that she would still be watching over me, but that Nyx would be more suitable for me as a patron Goddess. Due to extenuating circumstances, I am only able to work with Nyx in prayer and meditation, with an occasional ritual. She is a kind Goddess, and I enjoy working with her very much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/worthy.gif)

--------------------
Ea Heccatus Somni Carebe

+Quote Post

alia
post Mar 28 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

Nyx is the first-born Goddess. She was the first to form out of endless chaos. Some say that she is the daughter of Phanes, but I personally don't think so. Once formed, she gave birth to the world egg. The egg split into two pieces, the upper became the celestial realm, and the lower became Gaia. (The reason I don't believe Phanes was the father of Nyx is because he was born from the world-egg, and if Nyx birthed the world-egg, how could this be?)

The rhapsodies describing the orphic theogony refer to Nyx as the mother, daughter or wife (or daughter and wife) of Protogonus (Phanes). In texts that consider Nyx, as Protogonus (Phanes) daughter, the egg is formed from combination of Chronus and Aether (or Chronus and Chaos, or Chronus and both).

There are extracts from ancient texts referring to Nyx, collected in the following page:

Nyx

Also, there are some references to Nyx, in Commentaries on Plato’s texts made by Neoplatonistic philosophers, Proclus Diadohus (412-485 AD) and Hermias the Alexandrian (5 AD), (although, the Plato’s texts, which they are commenting on, are not referring to Nyx).

So, in Proclus’ Commentary on the Plato's Timaeus, Zeus addressing Nyx says:

"Maia, supreme of Gods, Immortal Night, tell me this,
How shall I constitute the magnanimous first principles of the Immortals?"

"Surround all things with ineffable Ether, and place them
In the mid Heaven."

And

Hermeias in his “Commentary on Plato's Phaedrus” says that 'Orpheus, speaking of Night, tells us that "he [Phanes] gave her the mantic art that never fails, to have and hold in every way".

So, according to these philosophers, Nyx possess the highest art of divination.

Also, from this time period, Damascius’ “The Theogonies” is useful, as he makes a synopsis of a number of ancient theogonies in his text (some mentions Nyx and some not). It is interesting that Damascius in this text express the opinion that Homer constitutes Nyx his first principle and not Oceanus and Tethys, while this later happens to be the generally accepted opinion today.

+Quote Post

LysOfTheShadows
post Jul 18 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #6

Initiate
Group Icon

(IMG:http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/CheeZCakePoetry/NyxBrygos.jpg)
This site provides a bit of information on the Goddess Nyx. As well as other related resource links.

This post has been edited by LysOfTheShadows: Jul 18 2006, 11:20 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak.” Anonymous

+Quote Post

amongthehidden
post Aug 15 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #7

Neophyte
Group Icon

It's great to know there are others who know of Nyx. She is my patron Goddess as well, and a very wise one at that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/worthy.gif)

This post has been edited by amongthehidden: Aug 15 2010, 08:44 PM

--------------------
Le Parkour:

Tougher than LaCrosse,
More exciting than Football,
Less competitive than Solitaire.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic