Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 The Eating Of The Sacrifice, teeth of the gods
esoterica
post Feb 13 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #1

left 30 aug 2010
Group Icon

Just had a wonderful conversation with an elderly korean lady at the chinese food place

They have a tiny altar built into the wall with oranges or apples and some incense and some words of empowermwnt and things

We were discussing the dissolution of the altar fruit, and she said the coolest thing

She said the dissolution is how the spirit being served the fruit eats it

I had done many sacrifices in my day, but it had necver before hit me in the way she described it - the fruit being 'burnt' more or less swiftly

E.

--------------------
IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Xenomancer
post Feb 13 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #2

Rode off into the sunset...
Group Icon
From: AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON

By what means, does the dissolution take place? Natural decomposition inside a sacred container? A chemical? Fire?

--------------------
IPB Image
¡HA HA! ¡ESTOY USANDO EL INTERNET!
-Never learn the Art of Sword before the Art of Dance. - Celtic Proverb
-Even with spiritual power, an unchecked ego will only seek to deify itself. - Frank MacEowen
-One cannot traverse waters without causing waves. - Xenomancer
-I find it interesting that we as scholars of metaphysics have no problem discussing the intricacies of the threads of reality, but when it comes to the things that really matter, we forget them. - Xenomancer
-This world is your home. We have a mix of everything here. If you want better, make better. There's no rule of going elsewhere for the tools. That's what magick is about. - Xenomancer

+Quote Post

esoterica
post Feb 14 2007, 09:22 AM
Post #3

left 30 aug 2010
Group Icon

bacterial i guess, same way just putting it on the shelf would normally cause it to rot, but in this instance the energy released by the rotting fruit is directed toward an entity

the longer it lasts, the more powerful the fruit was

when they replace the fruit (about every 2 weeks, or when it starts to stink) they light the incense and say a little mantra-like chant (i suppose to link the fruit to the entity)

the food stuffs placed outside the ancient egyptian tombs, along with a symbol of the action desired (as in protection, wealth, etc) is so similar it makes me think of it being based on the same thing

e.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Mezu
post Feb 14 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #4

Zelator
Group Icon

I have many Chinese friends, mostly cross Taoist Buddhist (this is most common!) The practice (one I've adopted, too), is twofold. The New Years offering, which are the small oranges (symbolic of gold and good fortune), are allowed to completely dessicate. They stay orange, but harden. It's quite wonderful. I have dozens of years-old dehydrated good fortune oranges all over my temple and house.

The daily offerings are general water, incense and oranges (favored over other fruit). However, most people will eat the blessed fruit after a few days when they replace the fruit. It is considered quite lucky, fortunate and a blessing to eat the offered fruit after a few days (presuming you add new fruit to the altar.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse