Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Anglo-saxon Spirit Evocation
Lord Albion
post Jul 18 2007, 09:44 AM
Post #1

Initiate
Group Icon

Hello all,

I am fairly new to this field having come from a Christian background (which would consider anything like this as somewhat less than good even if I don't) so bear with me on this.

I feel a pull towards working with the Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Norse deities but am still piecing it all together so may make some mistakes with things but am working on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/13.gif)

Does anyone here know how one can perform an evocation to physical manifestation with a spirit/deity from this tradition? Everything I have seen about this field deals with Judeo-Christian systems. I have read the invocation posts on here that deal with Thor and Freya and will start working with Thor today but want to deal with more techniques if possible.

Thanks in advance,

A.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Alexodeus
post Jul 19 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #2

Neophyte
Group Icon

Greetings Lord Albion

I have Loki's sigil stored somewhere on my pc . Im pretty sure its legit too.

PM me if your interested.

Alexandros

--------------------
"Overcome by woe And here, I've grown So fond of dread That I swear it's heaven"

+Quote Post

Lord Albion
post Jul 19 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Initiate
Group Icon

Kutulu,

Thanks for your reply, I would like that (as mentioned previously) but am a little confused by your message, I thought that the sigils in Teutonic traditions were the runes themselves.

I have some idea's about how to perform this kind of ceremony but at this stage it is purely theoretical and I wanted to seek further advice before I went ahead incase I upset someone or something got out of hand or even that I wasted my time with something that would never work.

A.

+Quote Post

Rick
post Jul 20 2007, 04:52 AM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

While surfing on the web yesterday I came across a book titled "Helsongs" by Robin Artisson and that might be of interest. I can't tell you anything about the book or it's author since I haven't read any of his works.
http://www.robinartisson.com/northpath/helsongs/pre.html

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/book.gif)

+Quote Post

Rick
post Jul 20 2007, 05:17 AM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

Did a bit of research and the author seems to be subject to a lot of controversy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hmm.gif)

This post has been edited by Rick: Jul 20 2007, 05:19 AM

+Quote Post

Lord Albion
post Jul 20 2007, 12:42 PM
Post #6

Initiate
Group Icon

Thanks for your help, I think I will avoid him as I looked him up a bit and read of doubt about his abilities and knowledge, not to mention his character. I am thinking of basing my endeavours on using a ritual I read in a book by Edred Thorsson which I will post in another thread to help keep things separate.

A.

+Quote Post

Galdr Nidsson
post Jul 21 2007, 08:54 AM
Post #7

Neophyte
Group Icon

Hy,

I have a christian background just as you and I'm pulled towards the Germanic/Norse deities too. I'd like to know about the results of your workings, so if you don't mind I would be happy to read them here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

About Loki's sigil... I think you are right about the runes serving as sigils (but I'm no adept on this topic) and I'd consider it safer not to work at the beginnings with Loki (and not to work with some sigils stored on some computers...)

--------------------
There is no dark era
Just spirits forgotten by themselfs
There is no dark era
Just the way lost in fog
There is no dark era
Just silent gods

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Jul 21 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #8

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

Greetings,

It sounds like you are looking for a distinctly different system from typical western magick. If that is the case then you may want to look to the writings of the religion whose magick you are interested in using. Each system will have a different way of doing basically the same thing, and based on when the author wrote, one can see influences from that system. The predominate view at the moment is Judeo-Christian, as such one can find it in modern writings for most other systems, and the same can be said about chaos magicks’ influence.

The Poetic Edda, Prose Edda, and Icelanders Sagas- the Havamŕl and Fornaldarsogur Nordrlanda in particular- hold volumes of information on all topics of Nordic magick. It is worth while to mention that these are not “how to manuals” or a cliff notes version, it is the recorded oral tradition of a religion and its people. It is like reading the torah to understand Jewish mysticism. That being said, you can find a lot of magick in their pages.

In my experience evocation of Norse gods by Norse ways is normally in the form of a prier, only rarely is it anything more. Use of oracles, soothsayers are also common, but for physical manifestation- similar to Judeo-Christian systems- one needs to be special, or in special circumstances. Runes can be used for evoking gods abilities, help, protection, exc., but evocation to physical manifestation, is not found in their texts. It can no drought be done, but I have yet to find an instance of it, outside of modern interpretation of the tradition.

Not a lot is known about the Celtic religion, in fact we know next to nothing. Most of what is can be found is modern- part of the neo-pagan movement. Therefore anything useful is form Wiccan, Celtic and Druidic groups; all easy found through Google. I do not know enough about pre-Christian Germanic religions to talk of it, so I will leave it at that.

QUOTE(Rick @ Jul 20 2007, 07:17 AM) *
Did a bit of research and the author seems to be subject to a lot of controversy.

At the risk of going off topic: What kind of controversy is Robin Artisson the subject of?

As for Edred Thorsson, several of his academic works, publish under the pseudonym Stephen Flowers (his real name), where truly insightful. His books on magick tend to have ceremonial influences though. A Google search turned up this site that has a good explanation of this and a bibliography.

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Rick
post Jul 22 2007, 08:19 AM
Post #9

Neophyte
Group Icon

Well Robin seems to have pissed of quite a lot of people according to some (on-line) sources. But I don't think it is would be wise to avoid his writings which seem really interesting just because of some rumours, so I recently ordered one of his books,"The Witching Way of the Hollow Hill ". I'd rather read the stuff and make my own conclusions about it.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse