Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 The Tarot And The Lord Of The Rings (the Novel)
Mezu
post Oct 18 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

Just on the lighter side, I keep getting asked about The Journey of the Fool and The Journey of the Fool on radio interviews (publicizing my little known tarot-themed novel). Since my novel's so little known (so far!) I've been using The Lord of the Rings to demonstrate the Journey of the Hero (which is the Fool's journey to enlightenment) as it relates to movies and fiction. Here's what I think shows the journey of Frodo (the fool) best...

Act One — Path of Consciousness

• The Magician — Gandalf recruits Frodo to the quest to save Middle Earth in The Lord or the Rings, for example. Of course Gandalf is Odin in Norse Myth
• The High Priestess — Goldberry, the daughter of the River at Tom Bombadil's forest, for example
• The Empress — The Earthly Mother; represented generally by Arwen, Elrond's daughter who forsakes immortality for love
• Emperor — The Earthly Father; represented generally by Aragorn's quest
• The Hierophant — Education; represented generally by the Lady of Lothlorien, who's time is passing
• The Lovers — the Decision in the quest, of first major turning point — in The Lord of the Rings, Rivendell

Act Two — Maturation
• The Chariot — Departure in literature or spiritual journey; in The Lord of the Rings, they are forced out of Rivendell and into the Mines of Moria
• Justice — Maturation; in the Lord of the Rings, Frodo "grows up" after losing Gandalf in the mines
• The Hermit — One's True Self; Frodo decides not to endanger his friends and determines to "go it alone!"
• Wheel of Fortune — The Calling; in the Lord of the Rings the troop is split into three groups and three separate quests
• Strength — The Helpful Animal; in The Lord of the Rings, Treebeard

The Great Crisis Separates the Acts
• The Hanged Man — The Great Crisis; in The Lord of the Rings, the entire Universe, including past allies (Saruman), has turned against our heroes

Act Three — The initiation
• Death — Change; in The Lord of the Rings, there are many changes, one set for each of the three quests, a critical one when Frodo is captured in Mordor and left for dead after being stung by "She."
• Temperance — Guide of the Souls; on the main "Frodo" quest, a stronger Frodo can't be stopped, calmer, full of determination, and on the first step of his "enlightened path")
• Devil — Realm of Shadow; in Mordor "where the shadows lie"
• Tower — Dramatic Liberation; Sauron's tower actually falls, literally
• The Star — Fountain of Youth; after the ring is destroyed, Frodo feels lighter, but also "emptier"
• The Moon —The Dangerous Return; ever wonder why The Lord of the Rings was so long after the final climax? Here's why.
• The Sun — The Crowning of Aragorn
• Judgment — The elders leave Middle Earth forever.

• The World — culmination and final achievement.

This post has been edited by Mezu: Oct 18 2007, 10:59 AM

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse