Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Just Wanted To Ask Your Oppinion, planning busniess
realm_crawler
post Dec 17 2007, 04:42 AM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

I am planning to start up an busniess and wanted to ask normal peapoles oppinions on it.

The general idea is a 24hour computer remote help and repair service. and locally physical repairs aka hardware repairs.
The customer can just push a button and call up the control center aka me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye.gif) . and then receive help or nessesary repairs considering software. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Is this idea good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap.gif) or somewhat ok or does it suck totally (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) ?
is there need for this kind of services?

please if anyone has any comments on this it would be deeply appriciated yours JLx

p.s and yes i am addicted to smiley faces (IMG:style_emoticons/default/partytime.gif)

--------------------

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

paxx
post Dec 19 2007, 02:13 AM
Post #2

Resident Fool
Group Icon

There is a market for it, but there is also in most cases a very high startup cost.

From experience fixing peoples computers is a waste of time unless you charge a lot, then at least they do what you recommend instead of think, they will just call you to fix it again when they have a problem.

I would also recommend five/ten years of large volume IT work. To offer what you are describing it has to be local, the client needs to install software or edit standard firewalls to allow you in.

The legal side of it I have no idea in Finland. You need to limit liability and have standard contracts so that they do not sue you because you can not recover their HDD information after they opened up the hard drive to see the inside and it fell in the snow.

It is also an issue that most people have computer warranties, so I am not clear where you fit in…but there is a market for it, I just would venture into it with a lot of trepidation unless I was doing it with a lot of startup capital.

Also you would need some Certifications for Brands so you do not Void Warrenty, clean rooms or access to people with Clean Rooms in case you need to do platter level recovery of data.

but if it is limited to being the local geek, and you have a decent SLA...it might be a decent startup with little capital.

--------------------
--Paxx

+Quote Post

realm_crawler
post Dec 19 2007, 06:32 AM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

Well being sued is not a problem over here.... civil lawsuits almost never happen whitout a very serius
cause.
And the costs aren't that big have most of the things needed for it so.
And firewalls are easy to modify whit instructions.
but you answered my main question if peopole need it and as i did other reasearch yes they obviusly do.
Thank you for your answer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Frater AVaD
post Dec 27 2007, 05:40 AM
Post #4

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(jlx @ Dec 17 2007, 05:42 AM) *
I am planning to start up an busniess and wanted to ask normal peapoles oppinions on it.

The general idea is a 24hour computer remote help and repair service. and locally physical repairs aka hardware repairs.
The customer can just push a button and call up the control center aka me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye.gif) . and then receive help or nessesary repairs considering software. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Is this idea good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) or somewhat ok or does it suck totally (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) ?
is there need for this kind of services?

please if anyone has any comments on this it would be deeply appriciated yours JLx

p.s and yes i am addicted to smiley faces (IMG:style_emoticons/default/partytime.gif)

Waste of time, m'man.

1>who are you? Why would I even consider trusting you to "fix" my machine?

2>What are your qualifications? Why should i call you when, in most cases, i can call the software company directly (and in many cases for free) and speak to someone who knows whats going on?

3>Where do i get the chance to hear about you? WHere do you advertise?

You also have to consider this, unless you are A+ certified, your chances of making any real money fixing hardware are slim. Very few people are going to call some random kid and say here! fix my machine. And the few that do are going to have problems you can't fix. And there goes your word of mouth.

I'm an IT tech for a small business, and believe me, tech support is a lot more difficult than you think. You may be good at fixing your own box, and those of your friends, that doesn't mean you'll be any good at doing it commercially. Believe me. In the real world NOTHING works like its supposed to.

If its about dollars and cents...
its the financial office

If its about hammers and wrenches
its operations....

If its broken....

Its IT

--------------------
AD LVX ET OBSCURUM

Frater AVaD

+Quote Post

SPoison
post Dec 29 2007, 01:12 PM
Post #5

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Frater AVaD @ Dec 27 2007, 04:40 AM) *
Waste of time, m'man.
1>who are you? Why would I even consider trusting you to "fix" my machine?

2>What are your qualifications? Why should i call you when, in most cases, i can call the software company directly (and in many cases for free) and speak to someone who knows whats going on?

3>Where do i get the chance to hear about you? WHere do you advertise?

You also have to consider this, unless you are A+ certified, your chances of making any real money fixing hardware are slim. Very few people are going to call some random kid and say here! fix my machine. And the few that do are going to have problems you can't fix. And there goes your word of mouth.

I'm an IT tech for a small business, and believe me, tech support is a lot more difficult than you think. You may be good at fixing your own box, and those of your friends, that doesn't mean you'll be any good at doing it commercially. Believe me. In the real world NOTHING works like its supposed to.

If its about dollars and cents...
its the financial office

If its about hammers and wrenches
its operations....

If its broken....
Its IT

You hit the button right on there. Fixing computers isn't HALF as easy once you leave your circle of friends. Trust me. I've worked with a local computer guy (graduated computer technician with experience in all OS) and we've successively come across brand new errors in computer hardware over 60 times in the last 3 months. It's harder than you'd imagine because different circumstances cause different errors and different errors mean different expertise. You have to know close to everything about computers (not gonna happen) or have a co-worker or two to help you.

--------------------
A blind person who sees is better than a seeing person who is blind. - Iranian (on wisdom)

Feel your center of power... Feel the world around you... Close your eyes and expect the unexpected...

Knowledge is universal

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse