2 Pages 1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Choice Deity Or God/goddess, working magick and the divine
bleachXlight
post Sep 6 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

what is your choice deity or god/goddess whom you have seen the best results and why?

my choice would have to be Hermes

he corresponds with Thoth the egyptian God of Wisdom

and thoth corresponds to my birth month (meaning the best God for me to work with)

Hermes has worked out for me on so many occasions

he is quick and steady

almost to quick sometimes for the results may not be seen or thought of until later

also i have read Hermes can be a trickster but i have not seen this myself lately

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Radiant Star
post Sep 7 2006, 02:15 AM
Post #2

Theoricus
Group Icon

Several really, but I once had a very good experience with Bastet and certainly Anubis is different from my expectations.

The Egyptian current does seem to be easy to work with though ; )

+Quote Post

GaiusOctavian
post Sep 7 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #3

Gone
Group Icon

Ofcouse I'm going to say the Santeria Orishas. Being an osainista, I'd have to say Osain (Orisha of nature, herbs & protection from all enemies). Always helps me when I'm trying to mix up some new powders, and everytime someone gets on my nerves, I get Osain to send a little warning, which, from my experience, hasn't failed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

.::Sempre Bene::..::Chris::.
-Fiat Lux

+Quote Post

UnKnown1
post Sep 7 2006, 04:14 PM
Post #4

Smasher666
Group Icon

QUOTE(bleachXlight @ Sep 6 2006, 07:19 PM) *
what is your choice deity or god/goddess whom you have seen the best results and why?

my choice would have to be Hermes

he corresponds with Thoth the egyptian God of Wisdom

and thoth corresponds to my birth month (meaning the best God for me to work with)
Hermes has worked out for me on so many occasions

he is quick and steady

almost to quick sometimes for the results may not be seen or thought of until later
also i have read Hermes can be a trickster but i have not seen this myself lately

Speaking of Thoth his Sumerian reflection is my Master Enki. My queen is the beautiful Inanna.

Why?

Because they are the King and Queen of magick of course!

+Quote Post

Ilmatar
post Sep 7 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

my patron goddess is Ilmatar (hence the name). This Finnish goddess of air is not only the creator of the world but also the water mother to the gods of music, magic and smithing. She is with me in everything i do. I have also had good results with Aphrodite sometimes in conjunction with Pele.

+Quote Post

Radiant Star
post Sep 8 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #6

Theoricus
Group Icon

QUOTE(GaiusOctavian @ Sep 7 2006, 08:08 PM) *
everytime someone gets on my nerves, I get Osain to send a little warning, which, from my experience, hasn't failed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I would be careful about doing that too often; sometimes when someone gets on your nerves, its a sign that there is something in you that needs attention, but I know what you mean and I also have a helper in that sense too - hardly ever used I might add.

+Quote Post

mystick
post Sep 8 2006, 07:05 AM
Post #7

Light of Enki
Group Icon

All Gods have their purpose else they would not be here today...

--------------------
"The foolish disregard Me, when clad in human semblance, ignorant of My supreme nature, the great Lord of beings"

+Quote Post

GaiusOctavian
post Sep 8 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #8

Gone
Group Icon

QUOTE(Radiant Star @ Sep 8 2006, 04:54 AM) *
I would be careful about doing that too often; sometimes when someone gets on your nerves, its a sign that there is something in you that needs attention, but I know what you mean and I also have a helper in that sense too - hardly ever used I might add.

I admit, I'm an inpatient & easily irritated person..But, hon', trust me when I say, in NYC there are ALOT of people that will provoke you. Ask any other of the NYers on SM (There are about 3 other if I'm right) ;-).

.::Sempre bene::..::Chris::.
-Fiat Lux

This post has been edited by GaiusOctavian: Sep 8 2006, 12:35 PM

+Quote Post

UnKnown1
post Sep 8 2006, 01:43 PM
Post #9

Smasher666
Group Icon

QUOTE(GaiusOctavian @ Sep 8 2006, 02:27 PM) *
I admit, I'm an inpatient & easily irritated person..But, hon', trust me when I say, in NYC there are ALOT of people that will provoke you. Ask any other of the NYers on SM (There are about 3 other if I'm right) ;-).

.::Sempre bene::..::Chris::.
-Fiat Lux

As a fellow New Yorker all I can say is. At least he did not shoot them. Lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/butcher.gif)

+Quote Post

bleachXlight
post Sep 20 2006, 12:42 PM
Post #10

Neophyte
Group Icon

i have had alot of success with pan

and diana brings me understanding and a better perspective on some aspects of life

NYC woa

i thought i could live in the city

a few trips!

nah...i'll be a jersey boy, plus we have our share of very annoying people

in most scenarios instead of sending a warning

i would ask the deity to help me move on from those people

aka a new scene or just ignorance

+Quote Post

motsie
post Sep 21 2006, 02:01 AM
Post #11

Neophyte
Group Icon

I like Demeter. She has been very helpful to me with both practical and spiritual matters. After doing a service for her I have become noticeable to bees and beekin. It is one of the few connections that resonate to past lives so it is dear to me.

I also like to work with the Norse deities. These energies are very good for correcting imbalances caused by callous, neligient or disrespectful behavior. Familial and community matters are well suited to redress through them. I admire their forthright nature and I like the fact that when they become involved in a matter, all parties involved are measured to their standard. Woe to he who brings a false greivance to their attention!

motsie

--------------------
Clean up after yourself.

+Quote Post

bleachXlight
post Sep 21 2006, 02:15 PM
Post #12

Neophyte
Group Icon

i read a book called
Norse Magick
it was very good
it introduced me to a Deity called Freya
awesome aweomse

Anu is good as well

+Quote Post

motsie
post Sep 21 2006, 02:39 PM
Post #13

Neophyte
Group Icon

I find the deities in the Norse system to be very approachable. It's like they have one foot on earth and one in heaven.

motsie

--------------------
Clean up after yourself.

+Quote Post

GhostBear
post Sep 24 2006, 04:44 AM
Post #14

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(motsie @ Sep 21 2006, 04:39 PM) *
I find the deities in the Norse system to be very approachable. It's like they have one foot on earth and one in heaven.

motsie

I will admit, as having Freya as a patron, the Norse gods are ver approachable. But, they are about moody and fickle than any panthanon that I have ever seen. But, then again I am the same way, so I guess we are a matched pair.

--------------------
"Why was I born with the soul of a Warrior and the heart of an artist?"- Pirtor R. Nikolov
"I would rather be an open sinner than a false saint."-Thorin

+Quote Post

motsie
post Sep 25 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #15

Neophyte
Group Icon

Yea, they might bite your head off. But they will talk to you.

motsie

--------------------
Clean up after yourself.

+Quote Post

altpath
post Nov 28 2006, 05:16 PM
Post #16

Zelator
Group Icon

Although I feel the egyptian pantheon is one of the best, I'm highly attracted to the Great Goddess Hecate. I feel she is my patron Goddess, and that she has taken me under her wing.

It's funny, because you probably wouldn't get it from the legends, but she's a very good teacher and has been doing just that for me since I started praying to her. I had a problem with someone not too long ago, and she got rid of him after I prayed to her asking for that. After that though, I started attracting more negative attention that basically was causing me the desire to "off" them using magic again, but I realized that she was showing me that it's a never ending cycle. Get mad, get even, and doing it all over again until there is nothing left. I get it now.

I've also been seen with dogs at my sides in dreams, which is how she is sometimes seen. Although I've noticed she is more "present" when I practice witchcraft, and much less when I practice Ceremonial Magic.

The only thing I should mention to anyone wanting to work with her is that she is not the kind of Goddess to be called on, or summoned. Basically the best way I can think of is to pray to her until she makes contact with you in a dream or on the astral plane.

--------------------
www.occult-desires.com/english/
Lust/Love, Money, Healing, Divinations - SpellWork with Daemonic Aid

www.occult-desires.com/espanol/
Ahora disponible en Español, con servicios mas baratos para los Mexicanos.

+Quote Post

Joseph
post Nov 28 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #17

Neophyte
Group Icon

Greetings,

I follow many Pantheons, yet in Ceremonial Practice I make sure not to mix and mingle various Deities. I am very akin to the Nature of Horus the Crowned and Conquering Child. In that we at times must exert our Wills in order that we are able to follow our Path.

The Goddess that I Adhere to greatly is the Greek Goddess Athene. She is both the Goddess of Wisdom, and the Protector of Wisdom. She is seen as an Warrior, yet she understands that Peace is sometimes gained through Action, and the Wisdom of that is to know when an Action is Necessary.

Respectfully,
Helel (Joseph)

--------------------
Aude est Facere - To Dare Is To Do

+Quote Post

Fearn
post Dec 30 2006, 01:24 AM
Post #18

Neophyte
Group Icon

I follow most of the Irish Pantheon. My main people are Brigit, Morrigan, Dagda, Epona, and Dian Cecht...

--------------------
I wish I had this hat...

+Quote Post

Darkmage
post Dec 30 2006, 03:08 AM
Post #19

Snarkmeister
Group Icon

For me it's Anubis and Sekhmet/Bast. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Seriously, they've been great teachers, along with the other Egyptian deities. I can't get into Isis and Osiris that much, though, dunno why, but to me they're too human. And my Horus is Horus the Elder, or Ra-Horakte. *shrug*

I've worked with Norse gods and runes too, and when I spent a summer in Europe it was Morrigu who kept an eye out for me, but the Egyptian ones are the ones I always come back to. Dunno why.

I have noticed one thing though. I don't generally mesh well with deities that have a lot of human qualities or humanlike concerns. The ones I really do mesh well with tend to be cosmological gods and by definition, more distant from the human realm.

--------------------
As the water grinds the stone,
We rise and fall
As our ashes turn to dust,
We shine like stars...
--Covenant, "Bullet"

+Quote Post

Xenomancer
post Dec 30 2006, 09:09 AM
Post #20

Rode off into the sunset...
Group Icon
From: AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON

I have a few that I respect very very deeply. Among them are Fortuna, the wheel of fate, and Ouroborus, the dragon of motion. A very deep thanks of devotion goes out to Quan Yin, the chinese goddess of motherliness (I love her so dearly. I love you, mom!) and of course, my first divine encounter, EnKi. I also have a thing for deep sympathy, love, and respect to the Gnostic Goddess Sophia (Hugs go out to the lady)

If I were to worship, live to a word/ideal, etc...I would say it would be the Aramaic proto-christian "force" (not so much a Deity), Abwoon. The name basically translates as "Birther/Creator," and a more accurate translation of his prayers resemble something like that of pagan prayers and decrees mixed in with Taoist-type philosophies. Closest thing in modern belief to Abwoon, for comprehension sake, is the Star Wars idea of "The Force."

Otherwise, if I were to go with one, I would just believe in myself, and live my life in Tao, really.

--------------------
IPB Image
¡HA HA! ¡ESTOY USANDO EL INTERNET!
-Never learn the Art of Sword before the Art of Dance. - Celtic Proverb
-Even with spiritual power, an unchecked ego will only seek to deify itself. - Frank MacEowen
-One cannot traverse waters without causing waves. - Xenomancer
-I find it interesting that we as scholars of metaphysics have no problem discussing the intricacies of the threads of reality, but when it comes to the things that really matter, we forget them. - Xenomancer
-This world is your home. We have a mix of everything here. If you want better, make better. There's no rule of going elsewhere for the tools. That's what magick is about. - Xenomancer

+Quote Post

Julius
post Jan 9 2007, 05:49 PM
Post #21

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkmage @ Dec 30 2006, 04:08 AM) *
I have noticed one thing though. I don't generally mesh well with deities that have a lot of human qualities or humanlike concerns. The ones I really do mesh well with tend to be cosmological gods and by definition, more distant from the human realm.

I agree. Especially after studying greek deities, [and putting a play on about the story of the seasons, where Persephone gets kidnapped by Hades and eats the pomegranate seeds? I was Demeter if anyone cares...Heh] humanlike ones I can't work with. I also rarely use gods...I'm not exactly sure why...

I was with Epona while I was learning, and she is a very good goddess, especially for begginners, I think. Morrigan too, I liked working with. Both are celtic dieties, because my mahja [mom] wanted me to work with celtic Wicca...[myself wanted to study Egyptain] And I've always loved Egypt, so lately I've been working with Isis and Bast some. I'm studying Hathor as well.

Can I ask you something though...isn't Anubis a dog/jackel [can't remember] headed god? Does that interfere at all with Bast and Sekhmet being cat/lion headed? I always thought that there were things like that even with deities.

--------------------
Age is a high price to pay for maturity.

+Quote Post

Darkmage
post Jan 9 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #22

Snarkmeister
Group Icon

Actually, I've found the two mesh very well. Along with Horus/Re, they are what I like to call "the Humane Society Trifecta" meaning cats, dogs, and birds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The way I understand the two working well together is Sekhmet/Bast is raw power, yet Anubis, being quiet and calm, teaches how to *direct* that power. At least that's been my experience. And they seem to be good friends. Don't forget that Sekhmet's husband is traditionally Ptah, the god of builders, so the meanings are pretty similar. Ptah/Sekhmet, to me, is more of a creation/destruction cycle though.

Actually, in the Egyptian pantheon there didn't seem to be a whole lot of personal conflicts as there were among the Greek gods. The whole Osiris/Horus (younger)/Set battle was more a problem of royal succession and a power grab more than it was a deep cosmological conflict. And in the end, EVERYONE really won. They may not have gotten all they wanted, but even Set wasn't entirely kicked out and demonised.

--------------------
As the water grinds the stone,
We rise and fall
As our ashes turn to dust,
We shine like stars...
--Covenant, "Bullet"

+Quote Post

Thorn
post Jan 10 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #23

Zelator
Group Icon

The deities I generally hail out to are Aradia, Hecate, and Diana or Artemis, although I've wanted to look more into Celtic deities. Aradia and Hecate are revered to be protectors of witches, and I like Diana/Artemis for her huntress strength quality.

+Quote Post

Bloodfire
post Jul 25 2007, 04:29 PM
Post #24

Initiate
Group Icon

I'm a Scorpio so I like to work with Deities that work best with Emotions so I like to work with Bast, but I've also found that the Norse Goddesses Eostre & Sigyn work well to.

--------------------
Bloodfire

+Quote Post

Noxifer_616
post Jul 25 2007, 08:40 PM
Post #25

Neophyte
Group Icon

As far as gods go: Anubis, Loki, Odin, Shiva/Set/Lucifer, and Pan

Goddesses: Lilith, Babalon, Hekate, Sekhemet, and Isis.

--------------------
IPB Image
Om Avete Luciferi

+Quote Post

Liam
post Aug 9 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #26

Neophyte
Group Icon

As a Wiccan I honour and work with Goddess and God, the two primal forces. I've invoked and fused with them, and I find them to be great pillars of strength and sources of comfort. I'm interested, however, in expanding my experience with deities. I've worked with Hecate in the past, and now I do rituals to honour her on the dark moon, or if I am in need of working some "darker" magic (not necessarily negative). Then there's also the Hindu god of war, Indra, who I find to be helpful when I'm casting spells against enemies, or for my own protection. As of late I've also felt the call of the Morrigan, so I'm thinking of taking up study of her as soon as possible. And then there's Brigit, Celtic goddess of fire who I tend to honour mostly around Imbolc. Basically I want to get to know a reasonable variety of deities, along with the God and Goddess, though it does seem to say something about me that my gods tend to be either of war or of darkness (IMG:style_emoticons/default/13.gif).

+Quote Post

Willed1
post Aug 11 2007, 01:59 AM
Post #27

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

QUOTE(GhostBear @ Sep 24 2006, 05:44 AM) *
I will admit, as having Freya as a patron, the Norse gods are ver approachable. But, they are about moody and fickle than any panthanon that I have ever seen. But, then again I am the same way, so I guess we are a matched pair.

I am trying to begin my journey as Freya as my patron spirit, but i really dont know the first thing about doing this, can you please help me? I find searching high and low for information about her. How do i about beginning this relationship, how did you begin your relationship with her. I don't know what an altar unto her would consist of. How do you communicate with her, do you just pray and talk to her as if you would your best friend? or is there some elaborate ritual you go through to communicate with her? How do get Freya to actually work in your life, do i have to a magic spell or something and just ask her to blessed it or can i just make my request known to her of what it is that i desire. Can you tell somethings you have learned about her personality from person experience? Is she aggressive, gentle, motherly or what? PLEASE HELP ME.

How does she manifest herself to you, what signs, symbols, or manifestations do she reveal? Does her presence come every time you seek her help or commune with her. Please spill as much knowledge you can about how to work with her, what type of sacrifice does she like, what should an alter to her consist of, and etc. Just please help me

+Quote Post

Petrus
post Dec 6 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #28

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Willed1 @ Aug 11 2007, 06:59 PM) *
I am trying to begin my journey as Freya as my patron spirit, but i really dont know the first thing about doing this, can you please help me?

Hi Willed1,
Grimstone and I recently did a healing sigil, and Freya was who he called on for that, I'm fairly sure. In terms of her specific nature, I'm not sure. From memory she is the wife of Odin and the mistress of the Valkyrie...and I'm fairly sure healing and agricultural related things are her department.

In terms of her nature...with the stuff Grimstone and I have done, we find the Aesir in general to be very friendly, and extremely enthusiastic to help, although I don't know much about the nature of Freya in particular, I will admit.

I wanted to ask also...has anyone here worked with Aphrodite? She is another deity who I've been a bit curious about for some reason...experiences?

--------------------
Magical Evocation. All the fun of train surfing, without having to leave the house.

+Quote Post

kairos
post Dec 6 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #29

Neophyte
Group Icon

Actually Freya was not one of the Aesir, technically. She was one of the Vanir an older pantheon more associated with agriculture (while the Aesir were more generally militant in nature). She is a goddess of love and is associated with water, and the ocean specifically. This connection is due to her father Njord, god of the sea. She is also the twin brother of Freyr. Njord and his children were bartered off to the Aesir after a bloody conflict between the warring groups of deities, and eventually they were accepted into the midst of the Aesir as members of their pantheon. This seems like the conforntation between nomadic sky god worshipping Indo European tribes and the indigenous groups of nothern Europe and the subsequent syncretism of their mythological systems.

--------------------
BELIEF IS THE DEATH OF INTELLIGENCE; for as soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence." -Robert Anton Wilson

+Quote Post

Lucian
post Dec 7 2007, 02:54 PM
Post #30

Neophyte
Group Icon

Ave

I've had great results with Horus, and Odin in my early days.

Recently, Skavan worked some pretty quick mojo.

Deo Duce Comite Ferro

--------------------
Procul Este Profani!

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
2 Pages 1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse