Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Various Books On Magic, What's your opinion???
Rabbit
post Aug 21 2008, 01:25 AM
Post #1

Initiate
Group Icon

I was just browsing through Barnes & Noble online and made a list of titles that looked interesting. Their reviews all looked good, but since I'm fairly new at this, I'm probably over my head trying to figure which ones are worth buying. My question to you is: Which of these books are useful? Also: Which of these books are of the "fluffy bunny" variety?
  • Spells for the Solitary Witch (Eileen Holland)
  • Witch's Box of Magickal Protection (Gilly Sergiev)
  • Magic... the Simple Truth: Alchemy for Today's World - the Real Magic Course (Sylvia Bennett)
  • The Witch and Wizard Spellbook (Sirona Knight)
  • The Wizard's Book of Spells (Beatrice Phillpotts)
  • Kitchen Witchery: A Compendium of Oils, Unguents, Incense, Tinctures, and Comestibles (Marilyn Daniel)
  • Earth, Air, Fire & Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic (Scott Cunningham)
  • Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magick (Scott Cunningham)
  • Herbal Magick (Judith Hawkins-Tillirson)
  • Spirit Medicine: A Guide to Healing in the Sacred Garden (Hank Barnard Wesselman)
Any advice on what other books would be better but about the same topics as these books?

Thanks again!

--"Rabbit"

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Agni
post Oct 12 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #2

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rabbit @ Aug 21 2008, 10:25 AM) *

I was just browsing through Barnes & Noble online and made a list of titles that looked interesting. Their reviews all looked good, but since I'm fairly new at this, I'm probably over my head trying to figure which ones are worth buying. My question to you is: Which of these books are useful? Also: Which of these books are of the "fluffy bunny" variety?
  • Spells for the Solitary Witch (Eileen Holland)
  • Witch's Box of Magickal Protection (Gilly Sergiev)
  • Magic... the Simple Truth: Alchemy for Today's World - the Real Magic Course (Sylvia Bennett)
  • The Witch and Wizard Spellbook (Sirona Knight)
  • The Wizard's Book of Spells (Beatrice Phillpotts)
  • Kitchen Witchery: A Compendium of Oils, Unguents, Incense, Tinctures, and Comestibles (Marilyn Daniel)
  • Earth, Air, Fire & Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic (Scott Cunningham)
  • Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magick (Scott Cunningham)
  • Herbal Magick (Judith Hawkins-Tillirson)
  • Spirit Medicine: A Guide to Healing in the Sacred Garden (Hank Barnard Wesselman)
Any advice on what other books would be better but about the same topics as these books?

Thanks again!

--"Rabbit"

I haven't read most in your list but Cunningham is fluffy yet popular. *shrugs*

My recommendations:

Paul Huson - Mastering Witchcraft
Paul Huson - Mastering Herbalism
Everything by Tarostar
Key of Solomon

+Quote Post

guitarguy68
post Nov 2 2008, 03:18 AM
Post #3

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

I would recommend the following books in the following order:

Energy Work by Robert Bruce
--Teaches basic methods for spiritual development

Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce
--Read through this, then use the book below to practice the exercises from Astral Dynamics in a structured and balanced manner.

Mastering Astral Projection: A 90 Day Guide by Robert Bruce and Brian Mercer

Mastering Astral Projection CD Companion by Robert Bruce and Brian Mercer

As you are working through Robert's material, I would recommend that you concurrently work through the following meditations and exercises from Rawn Clark's ABardonCompanion.com in the following order:

Know Thy Self

The Center of Stillness Meditation

The Self-Healing Archaeous

Once you have finished all of Robert Bruce's material and have worked through at least the Know Thy Self series, move on to these books by Franz Bardon, in this order:

Initiation into Hermetics

The Practice of Magical Evocation

The Key to the True Quabbalah

Two other books that I have found helpful are:

Franz Bardon: Questions & Answers by Gerhard Hanswille

The Kybalion by Three Initiates

+Quote Post

Optimystic
post Nov 8 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

Pretty much anything that has "witch" or "wizard" in the title is fluff. There is very little understanding of the actual historical traditions behind these terms, so anything you read that focuses on those labels is going to be modern fantastic anachronism. Also, try to avoid the "books of spells" - there's nothing in there that you couldn't come up with on your own given a proper understanding of the principles of sympathetic magic. In fact, with study, you could probably come up with even more powerful spells using stronger factors.

--------------------
Emet Eli

+Quote Post

Darkmage
post Nov 8 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #5

Snarkmeister
Group Icon

@Agni: Cunningham may be kind of fluffy, but his works on herbs, crystals, and incenses/oils are among the very best quick-reference works I know of.

To OP: most of the books listed here will probably serve you pretty well. Honestly I try to read everything I can on the subject unless it's over the top fluffy. Once you learn what to spot the crap becomes pretty obvious. Whatever you do, be patient, and practise twice as much as you read. This will serve you well. The best insights you're gonna have are your own, not ones from books.

--------------------
As the water grinds the stone,
We rise and fall
As our ashes turn to dust,
We shine like stars...
--Covenant, "Bullet"

+Quote Post

palindroem
post Nov 18 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

All in all, those are as good a starting point as any. As you move through texts and authors, you'll start seeing those you resonate well with and those you don't like.

I was impressed with Valerie Worth's (two earlier) books.
For traditional purposes, read Drawing down the Moon.
I liked Ellen Cannon Reed's Witches Qabalah . . . not that I found it very useful, but a wonderful perspective on pagan use of the Qabalah.
Cunningham's The Solitary Wiccan is a nice presentation of a form of Wicca that's resonably appropriate for a solitary beginner, but should be incorporated into a personal system, not really to be used "cookbook" style.
For seaonal ritual . . . The Wheel of the Year by the Campanelli and Kynes A Year of Ritual, I found comfortably inspiring.

Of course, If you could borrow a book before buying it (which I do recommend owning) would be very cool. Many public libraries have "interlibrary" programs (like WorldCat) that you can search and request books thru.

On another front....
I think D M Kraig's treatment (Modern Magick) of pagan work within the umbrella of Western Ceremonial is an enjoyable read and could be a useful addition to one's pagan development (everything taken with a grain of salt)
I'm impressed with Duquette's Chicken Qabalah. Its not pagan (again, Western Ceremonial) but its writen to be very engaging and entertaining . . . and even pagans could find a lot of good resources in it.

If you like to add some self style aspects to your general pagan work (ie, outside of Wicca proper), Jan Fries works are simply great . . . Visual Magick is a treat, and either Seidway or Helruner . . . simply outstanding. (and for the I Ching'er psuedo Tao'ist . . Living Midnight is fine)

This post has been edited by palindroem: Nov 18 2008, 09:09 AM

--------------------
"My theory is longer, thicker and harder then yours" - Frank Farrelly
(regarding scientific objectivity)

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse