Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Complimentary Practices To The Great Work.
Mchawi
post Feb 16 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

Which practices do you consider to fit in well with day to day workings and why?

For example, Crowley gives Ashtanga as a partner to daily practice as the excersize it gives is benificial, am unsure but I think his courses have people practicing yoga within a circle of invoked forces but still, outside of Crowleyan schools of thought there are a myriad of Yogic styles that better suit peoples intentions (excuse the pun)... Kriya for example has intresting parallels to magick and would work well as does Qi Gong for obvious reasons.

All in all how do people feel about complimenting their practice with other art forms? Many would state to not take up anything other than that outlined and theres the real risk one may actually be wasting time or working against ones own intentions in the process while others reccomend it, as per Crowley and heads of other temples.

Opinions?

Peace
.M.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Feb 17 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

With me, it is the other way around. Qigong is what I do daily although I do regular ritual work, and my meditation sometimes becomes an interesting learning experience.

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

Mchawi
post Feb 20 2010, 03:23 PM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

Have been told that Qi Gong is the spitirual kung fu to cerimonial work. Thinking of taking up a years course but am finding that I'm taking on too much.

Cerimonial work is, in of itself, is a form of Kriya yoga (finally got that book in) heard that kriya means "active" but never assumed it meant active meditation wise. Always thought or meditation as a stilling process. Guess its the opposite to zen. Glad the bihar school does away with the secrecy behind the technque/s.

+Quote Post

Bb3
post Feb 25 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #4

Zelator
Group Icon

Journal writing is often recommended in conjunction with the work, but that can be expanded to anything like drawing, freewriting, sculpting or any other abstract form of art. All forms of art help a person get into touch with their personal creativity. Other activities that would help would be martial arts or qi gong, yoga, physical activities that require a sort of mental discipline. On the other side of the equation algebra, geometry and anything that requires the manipulation of numbers and or figures would also be fruitful things for a magician to grasp.

--------------------
Mad skillz

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse