Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Esharra, The Formation Of A Metaphysical Heaven
Mr_Merlin
post May 8 2005, 05:41 PM
Post #1

A Light In The Darkness
Group Icon

Extract taken from a Babylonian epic of creation known as 'Enuma Elish Tablet IV

This legend tells of a series of ancient battles followed by the creation of heaven.

The God Marduk - the hero of the epic - was tested by the other gods to see if his powers were up to the task ahead of him - his task to destroy Tiamat, the raging goddess of heaven and then to receate Heaven metaphysically as an abode for the fallen gods ....

They set up in their midst a constellation
And then they addressed Marduk, their son
"May your decree, O lods, impress their gods!
Command to destroy and to recreate, and let it be so!
Speak and let the constellation vanish!
Speak to it again and let the constellation reappear!"

He spoke, and at his word the constellation vanished
He spoke to it again and the constellation was recreated ...

They rejoiced and proclaimed: "Marduk is king!"

After the test Marduk went into battle and destroyed the Goddess Tiamat, interring a large portion of her body into the earth, then he built the metaphysical heaven Esharra ...

He crossed the heavens and surveyed the regions
He placed himself opposite the Apsu, the dwelling of Ea-the-wise
The lord measured the dimensions of the Apsu
and he established Esharra (the Great Abode) as its likeness

Forum: Is there a ritual to enact this?

--------------------
Hey! This life is just a dream. As in any dream the sleeper can assume control. Magic is gaining that control and using that awakening to full advantage

Married for life, to my devoted wife, who I have neglected recently but will do no more..........

A Light In The Darkness Blog; A LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

bym
post May 8 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #2

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Greetings!
I moved this topic/thread to the Gods/Godesses Forum as to keep it clear from the Necronomicon. If either Ashnook or Frater Nero object they may move it back with my apologies! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I have only a limited knowledge of the ancient Sumerians/Babylonians... It was my impression that Tiamat was looked upon as being the embodiment of the world oceans and Enki/Ea the embodiment of all the fresh water of the world...As far as the Esharra, I know less than nothing... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shok.gif)

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

Mr_Merlin
post May 8 2005, 06:56 PM
Post #3

A Light In The Darkness
Group Icon

Greetings to you Bym ...

I gained part of the extract from 'When The Gods Came Down' by Alan F Alford plus parts of the extract which I'd already made notes on from years ago ...

To me it matters not what section it is in ... it's the idea of a ritualistic enactment that appeals ... some part of me urges it relevant!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wizard.gif)

This post has been edited by Mr_Merlin: May 8 2005, 06:56 PM

--------------------
Hey! This life is just a dream. As in any dream the sleeper can assume control. Magic is gaining that control and using that awakening to full advantage

Married for life, to my devoted wife, who I have neglected recently but will do no more..........

+Quote Post

bym
post May 8 2005, 08:49 PM
Post #4

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Greetings Mr_Merlin!
I have an idea that I would like to suggest to you (and any others out there)...
There are alot of information that is now becoming more and more accessible with this tool we use called the internet. What do you think about using this tool to not look first into modern texts for our information but rather see if we can be as scholarly as possible and ferret out some of this info from more classical writings?
I don't wish to leave out the modern theories, just look at what our ancestors have said first, then we can compare that info with the modern texts and see what we're missing. If we look only as far as the end of our noses we shall have a merry chase after our own tales (that was a deliberate spelling)! Anyone can reach for an easy book, but just what do we know about it and the author? Other moderators and myself keep asking for source material to some statements. Not that all classical info is correct but alot of what we know in this world is based on said knowledge and it seems that this is a good place to start! In my own classes I have tried to encourage discernment as a major principle in our interaction with the multiverse. I have high hopes that we here in this marvelous Forum can rise above the norm and even shake the foundations of the heavens! (again a deliberate paraphrasing...) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

Mr_Merlin
post May 8 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #5

A Light In The Darkness
Group Icon

Greetings Bym ....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/fie.gif) Point taken!

--------------------

+Quote Post

TheFates
post Jun 17 2005, 09:40 AM
Post #6

Neophyte
Group Icon

Does this remind any body of Indra.