Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages< 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Which Deities Do You Associate Yourself With?
Bran
post Aug 12 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #31

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rae @ Aug 12 2010, 11:19 PM) *

Just read about him. Funny, it sounds like the bible's Noah's ark stuff, but these people had no idea about it. They were very advanced. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Ah, the deluge, yes, Gilgamesh in the Babylonian saga was identical to Noah. The Celts had a story similar, the meso-americans. That story is echoed all over the world, and it's not far fetched to think that it's a distant race memory of the melting of the last ice age when most of the world's land mass was altered by the eroding sea. ;P Get's you thinking.

By all over the world I'm not exaggerating either, The Samoans, Celts, Babylonians, Semitics, Meso-Americans, Native Americans, they all echo a similar story in their "misty past"

This post has been edited by Bran: Aug 12 2010, 10:23 PM

--------------------
Boredom: the desire for desires.
Leo Tolstoy

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Aug 12 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #32

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rae @ Aug 12 2010, 10:09 PM) *

You have to wonder, how did so many deities come to existance?

That's a good question. If I had to speculate, I'd say that it's because of the nature of pre-Colombian Mesoamerica. A lot of different tribes, cultures, and settlements existed in close proximity to one another. A lot of the deities are deities of local places or patron deities of local peoples, and they became adopted or adapted by their neighbors (who in turn partook of the former deities). That, and there was a deity (or aspect of another deity with its own name, holy days, etc.) for everything - the Aztecs were a very religious people! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol_2.gif)

QUOTE(Bran @ Aug 12 2010, 10:53 PM) *

I can't remember what it's called, because I can never pronounce that stuff, but basically there's one hoop in the middle of the ball court and each team had to get the ball in the hoop using only their hips and feet. It's a lot like soccer, but one goal, and the losing team's captain got sacrificed to the gods.

http://cdn.travelmuse.com/docs/artwork/col...-court-full.jpg
There's a picture of one of the ball courts, if you look close at the right side, almost in the middle you can see the hoop.

Yep. I remember reading that it has been suggested that it was the winners who sometimes were sacrificed - as it is an honor to be sacrificed, or so say the sacrificers! - but I can't remember if this was discredited or not. It has also been suggested that the game was a proxy for warfare between city-states. (This is for the Mayan civilization - the ballgame was played in the Aztec empire, I believe, but it was not nearly as important.)

This post has been edited by Vilhjalmr: Aug 12 2010, 11:01 PM

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

Bran
post Aug 12 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #33

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vilhjalmr @ Aug 12 2010, 11:56 PM) *

Yep. I remember reading that it has been suggested that it was the winners who sometimes were sacrificed - as it is an honor to be sacrificed, or so say the sacrificers! - but I can't remember if this was discredited or not.

You may actually be right. I make most of my posts from memory alone, so it's entirely possible I was wrong. It seems familiar that the winner may be the one who was sacrificed. We should look in to that, haha.

--------------------
Leo Tolstoy

+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Aug 12 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #34

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bran @ Aug 13 2010, 12:00 AM) *

You may actually be right. I make most of my posts from memory alone, so it's entirely possible I was wrong. It seems familiar that the winner may be the one who was sacrificed. We should look in to that, haha.

Well, you may not be wrong, either! I know for sure that it is often written that the losers were the sacrificees, but the winner-theory seemed reasonable to me. I'm looking, but this is the most I've found so far:
It is believed that the losing coach, or even the whole team, might be sacrificed. Some historians have disputed this - because it was an honour to be sacrificed, it may have been the winning team that lost their lives.

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

Bran
post Aug 12 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #35

Neophyte
Group Icon

Hmm. I have a copy of some of the Conquistadors' texts, I'll look through and see what I can find about it. It's interesting either way, and I'd like to know.

--------------------
Leo Tolstoy

+Quote Post

VitalWinds
post Aug 13 2010, 03:31 AM
Post #36

Zelator
Group Icon

I like to associate with Enki and Enlil. Loki is interesting too......

--------------------
Peace.

+Quote Post

Xenomancer
post Aug 13 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #37

Rode off into the sunset...
Group Icon
From: AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON

For some reason, when I was at the height of speed in my metaphysical development, I called out to the goetic spirit Amon (at least, the one who I knew as the goetic spirit Amon) on a particular incident when my spirit (consciousness?) was seemingly rended from my body forcefully by an outside influence. I called out to Amon, "Amon!! He~~lp!" and I felt a strong gravitational pull in the direction my senses considered 'down' (at the time of this OBE, it was below my feet). I reoriented, and woke up promply, breathing hard.

Why I called out to Amon, of all beings, I had no clue why. I knew of other gods. Other entities. I called to him. To this day, it is a mystery to me.

--------------------
IPB Image
¡HA HA! ¡ESTOY USANDO EL INTERNET!
-Never learn the Art of Sword before the Art of Dance. - Celtic Proverb
-Even with spiritual power, an unchecked ego will only seek to deify itself. - Frank MacEowen
-One cannot traverse waters without causing waves. - Xenomancer
-I find it interesting that we as scholars of metaphysics have no problem discussing the intricacies of the threads of reality, but when it comes to the things that really matter, we forget them. - Xenomancer
-This world is your home. We have a mix of everything here. If you want better, make better. There's no rule of going elsewhere for the tools. That's what magick is about. - Xenomancer

+Quote Post

VitalWinds
post Aug 14 2010, 07:55 AM
Post #38

Zelator
Group Icon

Ah, yes. The gods and who they choose to influence. It can be a mystery. To this day I still do not know if I am cursed or blessed by them.

--------------------
Peace.

+Quote Post

Rae
post Aug 15 2010, 09:17 PM
Post #39

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(VitalWinds @ Aug 14 2010, 08:55 AM) *

Ah, yes. The gods and who they choose to influence. It can be a mystery. To this day I still do not know if I am cursed or blessed by them.

Why not both? A blessing can be a curse in disguise, and a curse a blessing.

This is directed to anyone out there, Does anyone know about Akuba?

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Aug 16 2010, 03:33 AM
Post #40

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bran @ Aug 13 2010, 12:21 AM) *

Ah, the deluge, yes, Gilgamesh in the Babylonian saga was identical to Noah. The Celts had a story similar, the meso-americans. That story is echoed all over the world, and it's not far fetched to think that it's a distant race memory of the melting of the last ice age when most of the world's land mass was altered by the eroding sea. ;P Get's you thinking.

By all over the world I'm not exaggerating either, The Samoans, Celts, Babylonians, Semitics, Meso-Americans, Native Americans, they all echo a similar story in their "misty past"

Perhaps, but let us not forget that the Celtic and Norse legends were recorded either by monks or those trained by monks. I've tended to think that Ragnarok (Norse) is a later insertion. I remember that the Book of Invasions (Irish) mentions Noah and the fall of Troy which are obviously inserted by Irish monks so it is something to keep in mind.

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

Rae
post Aug 16 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #41

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Goibniu @ Aug 16 2010, 04:33 AM) *

Perhaps, but let us not forget that the Celtic and Norse legends were recorded either by monks or those trained by monks. I've tended to think that Ragnarok (Norse) is a later insertion. I remember that the Book of Invasions (Irish) mentions Noah and the fall of Troy which are obviously inserted by Irish monks so it is something to keep in mind.

I guess we'll never know how it truly was. If we had visions of past lives, that would be slightly different (but in ways, biased too, no?) What happened back then for the facts would be rather sketchy, I think.
Is anyone (who believes in) aware of a past life back then?

+Quote Post

VitalWinds
post Aug 16 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #42

Zelator
Group Icon

I do not genuinely recall any past lives, but I feel that I have been reincarnated a number of times. And who is Akuba?

--------------------
Peace.

+Quote Post

Rae
post Aug 16 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #43

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(VitalWinds @ Aug 16 2010, 06:19 PM) *

I do not genuinely recall any past lives, but I feel that I have been reincarnated a number of times. And who is Akuba?

All I know about her is that she's an Ashanti tribe fertility goddess. I'm wearing a pair of earrings with her on them.

+Quote Post

Acid09
post Sep 17 2010, 06:17 AM
Post #44

Health Hazzard
Group Icon

Although I have an affinity towards Celtic, Norse and Summerian Gods; Morpheus is probably about as close to a patron God as I get.

(IMG:http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/Acid9/Psychology/morpheus_large.jpg)

NO!!! Not that Morpheus!

The Greek God Morpheus, this guy:

(IMG:http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/Acid9/Psychology/morpheus.jpg)

That is a more classical representation, Morpheus was often depicted as being a winged human like being (similar to angels). A lesser God in the Greek Pantheon, Morpheus was the son of Nyx (the Goddess of night) and the ruler of the Oneiroi. These were beings who shaped dreams. Morpheus acted as a messenger to both men (especially heros and leaders) and Gods. Since dreams are my thing Morpheus makes a good fit for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angel.gif):

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

grim789
post Sep 17 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #45

Zelator
Group Icon

Belial is the one i associate with most he has made his way into my dreams and life. Another is the Arch angel Micheal. And last but not least Anubis is one that i have felt a close relation to.

--------------------
When the devil cries in agony who then comes to his aide.

+Quote Post

Lacresh
post Sep 23 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #46

Initiate
Group Icon

Ashur. I Don't know why, but I identify fairly strongly with ancient Mesopotamia, particularly Assyria and its head deity.

I also identify a little bit with Belial.

--------------------
BLACK METAL IST CUPCAKES!!!

+Quote Post

Silver Dragon
post Oct 5 2010, 06:55 AM
Post #47

Zelator
Group Icon

I'm aligned with Isis, Bast, Thoth, and Sekhmet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Laie_58.gif)

--------------------
IPB Image Silver Dragon

Follow Me on Facebook

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Oct 5 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #48

Zelator
Group Icon

I have occasional chats with Goibniu, who was the weapons smith for the Tuatha De Danann. Nice fellow. He also seem to be patron of the city I live in. We are known primarily for our steel mills so he probably feels at home here. Goibniu put a claim in for me a few years back in any case.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Acid09
post Oct 5 2010, 09:26 PM
Post #49

Health Hazzard
Group Icon

Yeah I have to admit I had not heard of "Goibniu" before. I didn't even realize his name was pronounced "Govnu". This whole time I've been pronouncing it "Gu-ee-b-n-ee-u" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I also read that there are parallels of the same deity as far away as Lithuania!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Oct 6 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #50

Zelator
Group Icon

Goibniu (pronounced Gov-nu or Goiv-niu) was a major deity in the Irish Pantheon, and had other versions in other Celtic countries . He probably pre-dates the split between Celtic and Germanic cultures, so perhaps he is remembered in Eastern Europe as well. Nowadays he is largely forgotten, but I believe that many major Gods and Goddesses have been half forgotten or only exist as a name in some inscription. Goibniu is mentioned in the story of Culwch and in the Second Battle of Magh Turedh. He and his brothers Creidhne and Luchtaine were known as the Trí Dée Dána, the three gods of art, who forged the weapons which the Tuatha Dé used to battle the Fomorians. Luchtaine was a wood worker and made the wooden parts of the weapon. Creidhne worked in bronze and silver (Bronze rivets were used to the weapon together). Goibniu is said to have made weapons that never missed their mark and which were always deadly. Generally Goibniu is described as a huge muscular bearded man with a smith's hammer and a cauldron. Sometimes he has been portrayed with an enormous erect penis. Perhaps there are some fertility associations. My icon to the left of the posting is a representative of Goibniu, Creidhne and Luchtaine . For some reason they have him wearing horns on his head in this depiction. His Welsh counterpart was Goffanon, which also means 'Smith'.

Goibniu was also a brewer and one of his symbols is the huge cauldron in which he brewed, well, some say mead while others say ale. But it is agreed that drinking his mead or ale gave the imbiber immortality and healed wounds. He liked a good party and had a feast day, the date of which is forgotten, but I place it in February. Goibniu also has an association with healing, and was invoked in the St Gall incantation even comparatively recently.

--------------------

+Quote Post

MountainEcho
post Oct 8 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #51

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

Hi fun people! I'm new to the boards and super excited to find them!

For me, the Godess I resonate most with is Pallas Athena. I also have shivers of recognition when I watch documentaries about sacred Egyptian sites, but haven't quite figured out how I fit in back in the day. I feel strong affinity for Isis and Hermes. I've had astral encounters with Anubis and feel like I had a lot to do with him also.

So fun to talk about all of this!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wandwizard.gif)

MountainEcho

+Quote Post

teopiltzin
post Nov 12 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #52

Neophyte
Group Icon

The deities I love are all aztec gods. The closest gods to me on a deep-seated level are Chalchiuhtotolin, Tezcatlipoca, Camaxtli, Tonatiuh, and the Cihuateteo. The god I channel the most is Cipactonal, the first human of the aztec creation story. Also, all 260 gods of the mesoamerican divinatory calendar. I am also quite fond of Tlaloc, the god of rain and Huehuecoyotl the cayote trickster god. My worship is dedicated to adoring and venerating the major Aztec powers, of which I've only mentioned a few.

+Quote Post

grim789
post Nov 15 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #53

Zelator
Group Icon

I associate myself highly with the demon Belial from the Goetia i do not know 100%why but he is in my dreams my thoughts. He makes his presecnce known at diffrent times i will just feel like something is there then as though he is in my mind i can feel him..

--------------------
When the devil cries in agony who then comes to his aide.

+Quote Post

Danica-Hekate
post Apr 9 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #54

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

Main Gods (those i dedicate my life to):
- Hekate / Ereshkigal / Hel / Selene / Kerridwen / Lilith / Morrigan (Moon/Earth/Sun) [As a collective Whole, i call Her Hekate, Birth-giver of the Gods]
- Mother Mary (Sun/Moon/Earth) (I see Her as Hekate's 'Queen of heaven and Light Aspect, not the Christian version]
- Inanna/Ishtar (Sun/Venus)
- Kuan Yin (Sun)
- Gaea (Earth)

The rest of my {Pantheon 9thoughin no way do i respect Them less than the above):

- Athena (Moon)
- Aradia (Moon)
- Diana/Artemis (Moon)
- Pan / Kernunnos (Earth/Sun)
- Lucifer (Sun)
- Iesous (Sun) (Jesus; not the Christian depiction of Him though)
- Bast (Sun)

For me the Gods are Energies, such as the Moon, Venus, and Crystals (Moonstone, Amethyst) and Trees (Willow, etc), Love, Death, Rebirth, Evil, etc., and not as having ever existed on the human plane, though I believe They take on human Form to interact with humanity. But as Being, They are pure Energy. Just my understanding, however, and in no way do i disagree with anyone, this is just how I see Them.

Blessed be.

(IMG:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bReJPJwFpDg/TTnWYNs0IuI/AAAAAAAAA1Y/f42BfQccPgA/s1600/NightQueen.jpg)

This post has been edited by Danica-Hekate: Apr 9 2011, 11:22 AM

+Quote Post

ComaOfLoss
post Apr 10 2011, 12:54 AM
Post #55

Neophyte
Group Icon

I'd say Durga is the only deity I converse with regularly because of an encounter with her in India. A powerful protector, albeit a bit cheeky, she is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

Laila
post Aug 14 2013, 03:15 PM
Post #56

Neophyte
Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/roflmao.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/harhar1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evil2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bones.gif) Noone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rofl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rule.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uglyhammer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/004.gif)

--------------------
http://marsskarlet.weebly.com/

photo GodLucifer_zps72c53be8.png
Was and stay loyal :D to my father..teacher..master...guide.......God.....

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Aug 17 2013, 09:07 AM
Post #57

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(EnkistA @ Aug 14 2013, 05:15 PM) *

Please use words in your post. Similes might make you feel better but they are not substantial contribution.

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Laila
post Aug 17 2013, 09:30 AM
Post #58

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(VitalWinds @ Aug 14 2010, 03:55 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/baby.gif) I Know i'm cursed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ Aug 17 2013, 05:07 PM) *

Please use words in your post. Similes might make you feel better but they are not substantial contribution.

I will sorry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

But I wrote Noone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post

hecate8
post Sep 6 2013, 10:29 PM
Post #59

Neophyte
Group Icon

I work with Hecate, obviously. I call out to a large group, but am drawn to Isis and Osiris.

--------------------
Free or drug free? America can't be both!

+Quote Post

Laila
post Sep 17 2013, 03:28 PM
Post #60

Neophyte
Group Icon

Now I know why none because i'm ugly and they are beautiful

This post has been edited by EnkistA: Sep 17 2013, 03:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
3 Pages< 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse