Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Invocation/evocation?
Bran
post Aug 14 2010, 03:32 AM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

So, It's actually a bit confusing. The dictionary's first entry has the exact same thing for Invocation as it does for Evocation. So, what's the difference? I thought I could just look it up in a dictionary, but it confused me even more that the exact same definition verbatim was used.

--------------------
Boredom: the desire for desires.
Leo Tolstoy

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

kaboom13
post Aug 14 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #2

Unregistered

Regardless of theory and paradigm junk, evocation is to take the spirit into yourself, while invocation is to basically bring the spirit to you. Its the difference between letting somebody take over your body versus sitting and having tea with them.

+Quote Post

Bran
post Aug 14 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(kaboom13 @ Aug 14 2010, 12:59 PM) *

Regardless of theory and paradigm junk, evocation is to take the spirit into yourself, while invocation is to basically bring the spirit to you. Its the difference between letting somebody take over your body versus sitting and having tea with them.

I had thought it was something like that, but not sure which was which. That was the perfect explanation and analogy, thanks.

--------------------
Boredom: the desire for desires.
Leo Tolstoy

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Aug 14 2010, 01:37 PM
Post #4

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(kaboom13 @ Aug 14 2010, 12:59 PM) *

Err, I think you're getting the two mixed up...

In invocation, you absorb (something) IN to yourself.

In evocation, you call forth something (e.g., satan) from the universe (or yourself), and have tea with him (or constrain him to a triangle...but satan likes tea and crumpets better).

In other words, in invocation you (as microcosm) absorb the macrocosm. In evocation you become the macrocosm and create/call a microcosm.

This post has been edited by monkman418: Aug 14 2010, 01:40 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

+Quote Post

kaboom13
post Aug 14 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

Yeah, I probably got the words mixed up~ Listen to Monk.

I was under the impression that Satan drank the blood of children and called it Merlot

+Quote Post

☞Tomber☜
post Aug 14 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

yes invocation is inside you and evocation is outside. Personally I would never allow anything inside and will never preform an invocation as long as I have a body to preform one with. Evocations are fine with me though.

--------------------
QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Jan 30 2013, 02:19 AM) *
Expect nothing, or you will get caught up in the future and not pay attention to the present. Just do the practice diligently, do it because you enjoy it, do it because you believe in it. Don't wait for results, don't wait for it to happen.

+Quote Post

Imperial Arts
post Aug 14 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #7

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(☞Tomber☜ @ Aug 14 2010, 06:48 PM) *

yes invocation is inside you and evocation is outside.

I knew a woman who would "invoke" the deities of other people for the purpose of compelling them to her own service. There was no change of consciousness, no godlike mental powers, and the person targeted had no idea it was happening, but the name of the deities were spoken before their images and the disciples of the deities would act in accordance with her wishes insofar as the deities held influence over them. Another example is the idea that one might invoke angels or saints, and while one is not inviting them to dwell within the mind of the supplicant, their influence is brought to bear within the situation wherein they are invoked.

Historically, the terms invoke and evoke mean the same thing. It is very common to find "I invoke thee..." as part of rituals obviously designed for what would be called evocation. DMKraig says that only an ignorant magician would confuse the terms, but despite his frequent references to Crowley, the Beast himself uses "invoke" where "evoke" would normally occur.

The bottom line is that it's an academic issue at best, and a poor one at that, but simply changing the way it is stated does not change the function of the ritual being performed. Saying "I invoke thee..." does not make it so, but is only a guide for the general effort of the ceremony.

--------------------

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Aug 14 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #8

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(kaboom13 @ Aug 14 2010, 02:48 PM) *

I was under the impression that Satan drank the blood of children and called it Merlot

Muha! Yes, that's right, my bad.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/00000008.gif)

This post has been edited by monkman418: Aug 14 2010, 08:55 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

+Quote Post

kaboom13
post Aug 14 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #9

Unregistered

Personally I would never allow anything inside and will never preform an invocation as long as I have a body to preform one with.

The irony of that would be that if you could evoke an entity, the entity would probably be powerful enough to control more than enough aspects of your consciousnesses. Personal experience taught me that, the little chalk circles ceremonial magick teaches, and talismans Daoism uses and whatnot are far from perfect against a demi-sentient.

+Quote Post

☞Tomber☜
post Aug 15 2010, 08:59 AM
Post #10

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(kaboom13 @ Aug 15 2010, 12:18 AM) *

The irony of that would be that if you could evoke an entity, the entity would probably be powerful enough to control more than enough aspects of your consciousnesses. Personal experience taught me that, the little chalk circles ceremonial magick teaches, and talismans Daoism uses and whatnot are far from perfect against a demi-sentient.

I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been. I mean I wouldn't invoke anything that is a sentient being. Energies and circles are fine with me

--------------------
QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Jan 30 2013, 02:19 AM) *
Expect nothing, or you will get caught up in the future and not pay attention to the present. Just do the practice diligently, do it because you enjoy it, do it because you believe in it. Don't wait for results, don't wait for it to happen.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse