Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Hieroglyphs In Ceremonial Magic?
NetherSpirit
post Aug 16 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

I'm considering incorporating hieroglyphs or hieratic text into ceremonial magic, i.e. creating a circle and triangle of the art but using hieroglyphs to spell out the names etc, and possibly even using Egyptian names of God as opposed to the conventional ones used. Obviously this would take a lot of work, but I'm happy to put in the effort, and I may even try constructing a whole new circle and triangle using Egyptian symbolism such as the ankh, eyes of Horus, Djed pillar etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Any opinions on this?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/egypt1.gif)

--------------------
Know thyself...

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

monkman418
post Aug 16 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(NetherSpirit @ Aug 16 2010, 01:17 PM) *

I'm considering incorporating hieroglyphs or hieratic text into ceremonial magic, i.e. creating a circle and triangle of the art but using hieroglyphs to spell out the names etc, and possibly even using Egyptian names of God as opposed to the conventional ones used. Obviously this would take a lot of work, but I'm happy to put in the effort, and I may even try constructing a whole new circle and triangle using Egyptian symbolism such as the ankh, eyes of Horus, Djed pillar etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Any opinions on this?

I've only used a hieroglyph once, thought it was cool. Would be even cooler to have a whole ceremony based on hieroglyphs.

Most copies of "The Egyptian Book of the Dead" put the Egyptian hieroglyphs right alongside the Egyptian translation while also using the proper names. I'm not saying you should cheat, but if there are any particular passages you like you could copy and paste those. ;-) Or, if you haven't read it yet, you could do so now and pick out your favorite names and passages along the way.

My only critical thought... I think it would be difficult to translate any Hebrew into Egyptian hieroglyphs, and possibly much better to substitute from the Egyptian gods while using hieroglyphs anyway. (e.g., dispensing with the typical MI CHI EL found on the triangle). Since you're moving in this direction this isn't much of a comment, but it'd be powerful to "go all the way" with this."

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Aug 16 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

If anyone knows, I'd be interested to learn how similar different hieroglyphic inscriptions are. I read that scribes often incorporated their own modifications, and of course time and distance change language, but I don't know to what extent these differences render inscriptions unintelligible to one familiar with a certain style and time period of Egyptian and hieroglyphic.

I.e., if I were to study ancient Egyptian as one would any other language, could I read any hieroglyphic inscription, or would each different one be a task in itself?

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

NetherSpirit
post Aug 16 2010, 02:28 PM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Aug 16 2010, 02:20 PM) *

I've only used a hieroglyph once, thought it was cool. Would be even cooler to have a whole ceremony based on hieroglyphs.

Most copies of "The Egyptian Book of the Dead" put the Egyptian hieroglyphs right alongside the Egyptian translation while also using the proper names. I'm not saying you should cheat, but if there are any particular passages you like you could copy and paste those. ;-) Or, if you haven't read it yet, you could do so now and pick out your favorite names and passages along the way.

My only critical thought... I think it would be difficult to translate any Hebrew into Egyptian hieroglyphs, and possibly much better to substitute from the Egyptian gods while using hieroglyphs anyway. (e.g., dispensing with the typical MI CHI EL found on the triangle). Since you're moving in this direction this isn't much of a comment, but it'd be powerful to "go all the way" with this."

I've got a rather nice copy of the Book of the Dead, the E.A. Wallis Budge Edition actually, which has the hieroglyphs, translation etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I found it extremely useful when first trying to understand hieroglyphs! As for names - Amun, Horus, Osiris, Isis, Thoth, Ma'at, and Anubis all seem to be names that would be easily useable in rituals, I'm wondering whether or not to use the Egyptian names or the Greek ones, though? I'm leaning towards Egyptian at the moment.

And Vilhjalmr; hieroglyphs vary from era to era and location to location as far as I know, and other similar languages developed alongside them (such as hieratic) for less formal use I believe, so yes, each different one would be a task in itself.

--------------------
Know thyself...

+Quote Post

Peking
post Aug 16 2010, 02:34 PM
Post #5

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(NetherSpirit @ Aug 16 2010, 08:17 PM) *

Any opinions on this?

How do you know that you will be properly protected by this egyptian symbolism?

Are you planning to evoke egyptian deities? I've heard that those possess such great power so that it is
unwise to atempt it. In that case, it might be better to invoke them, since you then get as much of the deity as
you can take, but not more.

+Quote Post

NetherSpirit
post Aug 16 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #6

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Peking @ Aug 16 2010, 03:34 PM) *

How do you know that you will be properly protected by this egyptian symbolism?

Are you planning to evoke egyptian deities? I've heard that those possess such great power so that it is
unwise to atempt it. In that case, it might be better to invoke them, since you then get as much of the deity as
you can take, but not more.

How do I know that I'm going to be properly protected by any mystic symbolism? The way I see it, the Egyptians used these symbols for thousands of years, and as long as I do my research properly (I should point out that I really am) and use the symbols properly I should be properly protected. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I've not decided exactly what I'm going to do yet - I've invoked some of them before, and I have considered evocation before but it's something that needs a lot of thought, no matter what you're evoking.

--------------------
Know thyself...

+Quote Post

Peking
post Aug 17 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #7

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(NetherSpirit @ Aug 16 2010, 10:45 PM) *

How do I know that I'm going to be properly protected by any mystic symbolism? The way I see it, the Egyptians used these symbols for thousands of years, and as long as I do my research properly (I should point out that I really am) and use the symbols properly I should be properly protected. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I've not decided exactly what I'm going to do yet - I've invoked some of them before, and I have considered evocation before but it's something that needs a lot of thought, no matter what you're evoking.

Perhaps I am narrowminded but I (atleast) feel myself well protected by 1) the magick circle and the banishing ritual before the evocation 2) the standard setup of the triangle of the art with archangel Michael keeping the spirit in place, 3) the Godnames (aspects of God) used in the conjuration. In my mind, the egyptian gods are deities and certainly very powerful but not God.

+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Aug 17 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #8

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(NetherSpirit @ Aug 16 2010, 03:28 PM) *

I'm wondering whether or not to use the Egyptian names or the Greek ones, though? I'm leaning towards Egyptian at the moment.

I lean with you. I always prefer the original.

And Vilhjalmr; hieroglyphs vary from era to era and location to location as far as I know, and other similar languages developed alongside them (such as hieratic) for less formal use I believe, so yes, each different one would be a task in itself.

Shoot. I was hoping that all, say, lapidary hieroglyphic inscriptions would be similar, all hieratic writings would be similar, etc. Perhaps Coptic would be more practical to learn, but I like the idea of learning one of the two oldest languages known!

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Aug 17 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #9

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(NetherSpirit @ Aug 16 2010, 03:28 PM) *

I've got a rather nice copy of the Book of the Dead, the E.A. Wallis Budge Edition actually, which has the hieroglyphs, translation etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I found it extremely useful when first trying to understand hieroglyphs!

Hey cool, I've got the same edition!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yeah, it's great for looking at the hieroglyps alongside the text. Now if I could only figure out exactly what the text means...

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

+Quote Post

NetherSpirit
post Aug 18 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #10

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Aug 17 2010, 09:39 PM) *

Hey cool, I've got the same edition!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yeah, it's great for looking at the hieroglyps alongside the text. Now if I could only figure out exactly what the text means...

Have you read E.A. Wallis Budge's "Egyptian Magic"? I'm currently reading it and it explains various bits of the Book of the Dead, so I'm feeling more confident about reading it now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------
Know thyself...

+Quote Post

Mchawi
post Sep 1 2010, 08:56 AM
Post #11

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(NetherSpirit @ Aug 18 2010, 02:26 PM) *

Have you read E.A. Wallis Budge's "Egyptian Magic"? I'm currently reading it and it explains various bits of the Book of the Dead, so I'm feeling more confident about reading it now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Rosemary Clark has some very indepth research, obvious shes into mysticism. Recommend using the actual names in place of the Greek as someone mentioned, also that people look into the subject... ''egyptology'' from an Afrikan perspective as there is much by way of disinformation floating around in other circles, names of places, history and such, it is then possible to see it better mirrored in other cultures such as in Nubia, the Mao of Kenya, the Igbo of Nigeria and the Ashanti of the West coast.

Orishia - Osiris - Ausares.

Stories are even the same in places.

Peace
.M.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse