Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Enochian Magic, Seeking
13-8-2
post Mar 21 2011, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Initiate
Group Icon

Good day/evening.

I am looking for books that detail the aspects and practice of Enochian magic without the influence of the Order of the Golden Dawn or Aleister Crowley. Is there a title anyone could recommend?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Darkmage
post Mar 21 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #2

Snarkmeister
Group Icon

From what I understand, Lon Milo DuQuette's Enochian Vision Magic goes right back to the source material. I just started it, though, so I can't tell you much more than that. I like his style of writing which is why I picked it up (that and it was 40% off at the Borders near me that's going under), but it may be something you want to look into, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Enochian-Vision-Magi..._pr_product_top

--------------------
As the water grinds the stone,
We rise and fall
As our ashes turn to dust,
We shine like stars...
--Covenant, "Bullet"

+Quote Post

Imperial Arts
post Mar 21 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(13-8-2 @ Mar 21 2011, 02:15 PM) *

I am looking for books that detail the aspects and practice of Enochian magic without the influence of the Order of the Golden Dawn or Aleister Crowley. Is there a title anyone could recommend?

"The Enochian Magick of Dr. John Dee" by Geoffrey James.

I think "John Dee's Five Books of Mystery" by Joseph Peterson might also be helpful, though I haven't read it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

ComaOfLoss
post Mar 22 2011, 01:07 AM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

All of the ones that are mentioned are good, plus

Practical Angel Magic by Skinner and Rankine (it's about deciphering the names from the Great Table only)

Athena's enochian grimoire is very good, highly recommended.

QUOTE(Imperial Arts @ Mar 22 2011, 04:18 AM) *

I think "John Dee's Five Books of Mystery" by Joseph Peterson might also be helpful, though I haven't read it.

Most definitely this. There's so much left out on the manual type of books that you can find from the original source material. Also, Casaubon's "A True and Faithful Relation" is good source material. A bit more difficult to read than the Five Books of Mystery.

This post has been edited by ComaOfLoss: Mar 22 2011, 01:11 AM

+Quote Post

13-8-2
post Mar 29 2011, 07:47 AM
Post #5

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(ComaOfLoss @ Mar 22 2011, 09:07 AM) *

All of the ones that are mentioned are good, plus

Practical Angel Magic by Skinner and Rankine (it's about deciphering the names from the Great Table only)

Athena's enochian grimoire is very good, highly recommended.
Most definitely this. There's so much left out on the manual type of books that you can find from the original source material. Also, Casaubon's "A True and Faithful Relation" is good source material. A bit more difficult to read than the Five Books of Mystery.

Really? I had read somewhere that the 'true and faithful relation' was an attempt to show Dr. Dee as being influenced by infernal spirits, rather than being in contact with celestial ones.

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Mar 29 2011, 08:19 PM
Post #6

Practicus
Group Icon

QUOTE(13-8-2 @ Mar 29 2011, 09:47 AM) *

Really? I had read somewhere that the 'true and faithful relation' was an attempt to show Dr. Dee as being influenced by infernal spirits, rather than being in contact with celestial ones.

I haven't read it myself, but I would say that it might be just as valuable if that were true. After all, it would be best to have a perspective on just who it was you were dialing up on ye old cristal sphere.

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

13-8-2
post Mar 30 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #7

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Mar 30 2011, 04:19 AM) *

I haven't read it myself, but I would say that it might be just as valuable if that were true. After all, it would be best to have a perspective on just who it was you were dialing up on ye old cristal sphere.

Indeed. Though I might be more likely to refer to Gusta Davidson if I were inclined to do any summoning. To be perfectly honest, it seems too hazardous and arduous a practice for me. I am sure other people will have a different opinion. But I do like to know about the general methodology.

+Quote Post

ComaOfLoss
post Mar 31 2011, 02:15 AM
Post #8

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(13-8-2 @ Mar 29 2011, 04:47 PM) *

It's true that Casaubon had such an agenda, but it contains unedited Dee's diary notes from the spirit conversations and thus is along with the Five Books the only actual source material for enochian. Well, apart from getting the original MS from the British Museum that is. (Which they'll be happy to send you copies of if you pay a fee).

This post has been edited by ComaOfLoss: Mar 31 2011, 02:18 AM

+Quote Post

13-8-2
post Apr 1 2011, 09:05 AM
Post #9

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(ComaOfLoss @ Mar 31 2011, 10:15 AM) *

It's true that Casaubon had such an agenda, but it contains unedited Dee's diary notes from the spirit conversations and thus is along with the Five Books the only actual source material for enochian. Well, apart from getting the original MS from the British Museum that is. (Which they'll be happy to send you copies of if you pay a fee).

Interesting! Is there material in the Casaubon book that is not present in the Five Books, and that you would describe as essential for an understanding of the Enochian system?

+Quote Post

ComaOfLoss
post Apr 12 2011, 02:28 PM
Post #10

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(13-8-2 @ Apr 1 2011, 06:05 PM) *

Interesting! Is there material in the Casaubon book that is not present in the Five Books, and that you would describe as essential for an understanding of the Enochian system?

I'd say getting James's and DuQuettes books will get you very far as instructions for actual practice. "Enochian World of Aleister Crowley" is a good read as well. Reading the diaries will give you a better "feel" of the system.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse