Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 What Are Your Magic(k)al Goals?, What do you want to get out of your practice?
Which category fits you best?
Read topic for categories!
1 [ 6 ] ** [28.57%]
2 [ 4 ] ** [19.05%]
3 [ 7 ] ** [33.33%]
Other (please explain) [ 4 ] ** [19.05%]
Total Votes: 21
Guests cannot vote 
Vilhjalmr
post Jan 15 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

So as I posted in another thread, I mentally divide practitioners of the occult into three general categories:

1.) Those who wish to achieve practical, physical results, such as moving a small object with mental power, or summoning a spirit to visible manifestation (examples: psionics, Goetia);

2.) Those who wish to achieve practical but not necessarily physical results, such as obtaining blessings or astrally projecting (examples: Wicca, Chaos magick); and

3.) Those who are not concerned with practical results, but wish to improve themselves through such means as emulating or invoking God(s) and meditating (example: theurgy).

There's always going to be some overlap between the categories, obviously; most people are probably a combination... but unless you're pretty much 50/50 (or 33/33/33), there will probably be one you identify with most. Which is it?

Feel free to elaborate more upon your specific long-term or short-term goals, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------
Für Wodin!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Jan 15 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

I don't have anything against becoming rich and famous, except it might be a distraction. My main goals are to evolve spiritually and celebrating the divine. This may sound a bit pretentious, but I believe in moderation and pretentiousness in moderation does no harm. lolI also believe in playfulness, self mocking and just plain silliness.

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

Draw
post Jan 16 2011, 08:21 AM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

Voted 'other'
I'd say they are all important in leading me to my pretentious goal of life-in-general
I don't know my ultimate goal, but some of it will involve 1, 2, and 3.

Without the personal growth of #3 i would be weak.
Without the subtle help of #2 i would not be using my strength.
Without the visible nature of #1 i would not know if i was strong or weak.

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Jan 16 2011, 08:38 AM
Post #4

Practicus
Group Icon

Now there's one of each. My interest is in practical but not necessarily physical results. Though there is some overlap between that and number 1. 3 is a natural byproduct, I think, of reflecting on what/how/why. I'm interested in gaining greater knowledge through magic, practical but not physical, as well as being more aware of the currents around me and being wise enough to know which one to ride on at any given time.

I voted #2 because even if my magic remained entirely subtle in it's operation, I would still be appreciative and glad that I practiced, as I have already gained much from it.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

VitalWinds
post Jan 16 2011, 08:44 AM
Post #5

Zelator
Group Icon

I voted number 3. I used to be mainly concerned with number 1, as I felt obvious and undeniable power was the way to go, but I have realized over time that in this life I need only concern myself with true spiritual growth. Although at the moment I am using number 2(Astral Projection) to try to speed up my spiritual growth. I feel that life is too short to simply wait for understanding to come to me. It must be sought, passionately.

(Although, I have not projected yet, but I'm working on it.)

--------------------
Peace.

+Quote Post

☞Tomber☜
post Jan 16 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

I voted number 1 because that really is my long term goal. But I certainly focus a huge amount on numbers 2 and 3. Hard to choose.

--------------------
QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Jan 30 2013, 02:19 AM) *
Expect nothing, or you will get caught up in the future and not pay attention to the present. Just do the practice diligently, do it because you enjoy it, do it because you believe in it. Don't wait for results, don't wait for it to happen.

+Quote Post

LadyMorwen
post Jan 16 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #7

Initiate
Group Icon

I clicked other, or All of the above, for wishing to achieve all categories.

+Quote Post

Imperial Arts
post Jan 16 2011, 03:46 PM
Post #8

Zelator
Group Icon

If I had to pick three goals (one practical, one personal, and one abstract), I would state them as follows:

1. Total destruction of tyranny through education of the poor, development of technology, and advancement of medicine.

2. Acquisition of a solid and complete foundational structure to facilitate the above goals.

3. Obtain a philosophical perspective through which the above goals can be executed in a manner that does not contradict their inherent virtues.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Darkmage
post Jan 16 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #9

Snarkmeister
Group Icon

I voted 1) because for me, magic is another tool in the box that's used to smooth out the vagaries of life a bit. Any tools I have at my disposal will eventually be used, so I'd best know what I'm doing ahead of time.

Anyway, as for overall goals, I'm a combination of what Draw and Vagrant already posted.

--------------------
As the water grinds the stone,
We rise and fall
As our ashes turn to dust,
We shine like stars...
--Covenant, "Bullet"

+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Jan 16 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #10

Zelator
Group Icon

Very interested responses. I should have made it a public poll so we could see what everyone picked, come to think of it.

I'm surprised that #1 is leading - I expected to be one of the only ones focused on obvious, undeniable results. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It's not so much that I feel, say, scooting a coin across a table has any immense practical value, but I feel if I could obtain a result such as that, I'd be much more open to "all the rest" of magic - astral projection, predicting the future, protective rituals, and the like. So #2 is of interest to me, but I do not focus any energy upon it. #3, for me, is mostly covered by meditation. I guess I'd say I'm 80% #1 and 20% #3.

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

Darkmage
post Jan 16 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #11

Snarkmeister
Group Icon

Well, based on what you just said, 1 and 2 overlap more than you think. Things like predicting the future, protective rituals, or a spell to sell real estate fall under 2 from what you're saying, but they have concrete, real-world, quantifiable consequences so I'd group them more under 1. Astral projection, obtaining vague blessings like 'abundance' or general blessings that are fuzzy at best fall under 2.

That's my $3 anyways...

--------------------
As the water grinds the stone,
We rise and fall
As our ashes turn to dust,
We shine like stars...
--Covenant, "Bullet"

+Quote Post

VitalWinds
post Jan 16 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #12

Zelator
Group Icon

I believe by physical results, he meant things that are more visually cause and effect, rather than things that have no physically factual evidence, such as astral projection.

--------------------
Peace.

+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Jan 17 2011, 12:39 AM
Post #13

Zelator
Group Icon

As VitalWinds says. I am thinking mostly of such "fuzzy" results as you mention, but my definition is a little broader since stuff like predicting the future, or a spell to sell an item, is usually impossible to verify - making its actual efficacy just as "fuzzy".

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

Waterfall
post Jan 17 2011, 06:04 PM
Post #14

Neophyte
Group Icon

If I couldn't do #1 I wouldn't have bothered with the rest. If it works then use it, if not why waste your time? Presently, about 50-50 #1 and #3 for me.

+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Jan 17 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #15

Zelator
Group Icon

Out of curiosity, what sort of things from category one have you performed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (This goes for all of you, in fact!)

This post has been edited by Vilhjalmr: Jan 17 2011, 07:47 PM

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

VitalWinds
post Jan 17 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #16

Zelator
Group Icon

I have moved a needle with my mind, and once, just once, I formed a sphere of electromagnetic energy with my best friend.

--------------------
Peace.

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Jan 18 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #17

Zelator
Group Icon

I'm generally in category 3, which I support by the use of 1 and 2. E.g., theurgy is greatly aided by the ability to use astral projection, and also by the ability to pull oneself out of a bind if necessary by getting physical results.

I used to be much more interested in the "siddhi" aspect of special powers in magick. "Getting" to the astral plane (for instance) for the first time and everything is cool, but by the time you have it it's (hopefully) clear that it's just a doorway to something else more exciting entirely. Then again, giving blessings towards others and getting physical results in the world could also be a fulfillment of one's highest potential, so what am I talking about again?

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

+Quote Post

Tom Foolery
post Feb 21 2011, 08:04 AM
Post #18

Neophyte
Group Icon

For me it's not about shooting fire from my fingertips or light from my eyeballs, but it's all about communion with the occulted universe, the hidden reality, the beyond and the intelligences there.

That's what I'm aspiring to, still to get there, but i'm trying!

Edit for spelling.

This post has been edited by Tom Foolery: Feb 21 2011, 08:05 AM

--------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

+Quote Post

Adder
post Feb 22 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #19

Neophyte
Group Icon

Its number 1 for me, I've done a fair bit of 3, been lucky to recieve 2 but happy to have more 2, so for me its 1. I've had some success with aspects of 1, but I want to be able to exert controlled influence.

This post has been edited by Adder: Feb 22 2011, 10:45 PM

+Quote Post

Rosenkreutz
post Jun 20 2011, 09:52 PM
Post #20

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

QUOTE(Adder @ Feb 22 2011, 11:44 PM) *

Its number 1 for me, I've done a fair bit of 3, been lucky to recieve 2 but happy to have more 2, so for me its 1. I've had some success with aspects of 1, but I want to be able to exert controlled influence.

I voted (1).

My goal is to achieve full physical teleportation or translocation from one place to another over long distances.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse